12-28-14 04:04 AM
1,192 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    I got mine today. 32GB. Had a couple issues with a weak wireless connection at work to download the OS update, but once I figured that out and got into a better service area it ran through and updated quickly. My first impressions are GREAT! Very smooth swipes, nice browser and an overall solid build. Very Cool.
    04-22-11 03:01 PM
    Got my 64 a week after I ordered it from Staples.
    Right now it's setting up and installing the new upgrade (.1710)
    I made a few wise cracks about reading the instructions only to find there really aren't any!
    Also thought I could set it up via DM, but DM refuses to accept a unit where setup has not been completed. So it's being done by wifi.
    Only functional glitch so far is that the swipe at the bottom of the screen during the setup process takes several tries to register at each page.
    all setup, bridge and other functions appear to work fine so far (and this with a connection to an old 9530!)
    Only complaint is screen is kind of sluggish here and there
    Going to be interesting learning what this thing can do.
    Last edited by pastorbrad; 04-22-11 at 03:48 PM.
    04-22-11 03:20 PM
    I just got one today. no problems with it. works great e-mail is seamless and very easy to get it bridged

for me everything is working.
    04-22-11 03:58 PM
    OK, I don't own one (don't bash me about posting in here) but I played with one in-store at my local Best Buy and I was impressed. I went in with an open mind and with the attitude of someone who wanted to know what a tablet can do better than a mobile phone or netbook/laptop. Here are my inital impressions:

1. Ease of use - simple controls and virtually every function can be controlled from the touch system (screen AND bezel).
    2. Portability - despite the 'smaller' 7" size, i found it to be very light and could see how easy it would be to handle for anyone of any age and hand size.
    3. Screen resolution - amazing. Even held it close up to inspect for sharpness and detail. Definitely full HD!
    4. Sound - TWO stereo speakers make a difference. Kinda impressed with the sound actually. Expected the usual tinny netbook sound but it was much better than standard.
    5. Multitasking - this is one of the major functions that concerned me so I ran video and the browser and played the installed NFS game but the Playbook performed very smoothly. Impressed.
    6. Durability - device felt solid and close inspection revealed professional, caring build structure. Solid feeling device.

FINALLY...
    7. Competition - I can see how the iPad has definite potential and is a force to be reckoned with...I just can't see paying for an extra data plan!

I didn't get a chance to check out the BB Bridge feature or any tethering. I can see how future OS updates and app additions will further enhance the PB but out of the box, this is a great device. I felt naked and a little peeved leaving the store without one, as if I would be one of the few walking around without one - just like I see so many iPad users and hear so many people say they want an iPhone.
    What strikes me as interesting is that the number of iPhone/iPad consumers tend to be teens/twenty-somethings rather than a more, ahem, established crowd...but maybe that's just me. Just seems alot of people gravitate towards popularity instead of what's the best fit for THEIR needs.
    04-22-11 04:45 PM
    Picked up my 16gb today at Best Buy (was their last one!) Set up went flawlessly everything I have tried has worked without a hitch! My PC still recognises the network drive for it even after I unpluged it, so drag and drop into it wirelessly! Downloaded a tune from the music store too. No issues what so ever! I am one happy camper!
    04-22-11 04:55 PM
    It just finished updating the OS! Time to go!
    04-22-11 04:56 PM
    Finally! my pre order fron HSN has shipped should be here Mon or Tues,i can't wait,am very anxious to get it.
    04-22-11 05:01 PM
    ....also noticed the red paint on the power button is already wearing off. LOL. Looks better without it anyway.
    a little clear nail polish should help with that.
    04-22-11 05:09 PM
    Just got my 32 gb PB today! I absolutely love it. I went just to look at it, but it was so beautiful and cool that I had to buy one
    04-22-11 06:53 PM
    I've had more fun with this thing in the last few hours than I had with the iPad2 I've had for a week + now. And I haven't downloaded a single app yet. Once they make a compatible version of Words with Friends, I'll be set! (OK, a Citrix Receiver app too and then I'm set)

I unknowingly took a long lunch and barely ate because I was in PB heaven. I'm going to be working out with my son's hand grip squeezers this weekend cuz nobody's taking this out of my grasp...

I showed it to a few people around the office and two wrote the name down to check it out further and all were impressed with it altho none were aware of its existence. Granted, its only been out 4 days. IMO, RIM doesn't need to start wasting money on advertising yet, because they just drafted 40,000+ volunteer PR reps. Now I gotta go show it to a bunch of iLovers at the brewery. This is going to be FUN!
    04-22-11 08:05 PM
    Well...Picked my 32 up at BestB on Wednesday and since I took the week off had a few days to play around with it. Had a bit of trouble bridging to VZ with the 9630, but after the Alt+RST. Bridge browser is 1/2 as slow as MiFi and 1/4 slower than WiFi, but then again didn't expect it to be any faster than my BB.

GPS...Yes, stand outside and restart, then do Bing map or Poynt and no problem. No other issues other than the lack of meaningful apps.

Bottom line...I could not be more pleased after all the fear mongering and negative reviews. We've had an iPad for six months and there is no comparison (other than the fact my 14 month old granddaughter loves the iPad games). LOL

My need is international business utilization and I don't mind being a beta tester for the future.

Happy Easter
    04-22-11 08:13 PM
    well i am posting from mine so far so good.- I had preordered from best buy. so far so good ..let me try out some things and perhaps post something much more intelligible and useful
    04-22-11 08:17 PM
    Got my PB. This thing is a absolute challenger for the ipad. Im selling my ipad. Ooh I'm HAPPY.
    04-22-11 08:32 PM
    Got mine Wednesday night. After de-bricking it, it has been a wonderful device. Just downloaded a bunch of apps. I'm very happy with it.
    04-22-11 09:27 PM
    Just got my 64G today. Connected to wifi and updated os in about 10 minutes. Think I broke the App World App. Had 8 dnlds going at once. It stalled out. Got 2 dnlds completed though. Everything else is smooth. Loove it! My only complaint is my wife didn't have my Playbook out of the shipping carton and presented on a fluffy white pillow. Heh, just kidding.
    04-22-11 09:28 PM
    I pre-ordered my 64 GB PlayBook from BestBuy.com and received it today (Friday). Well, I booted it up and went to select my Wi-Fi and it connected to a neighbors instead, I went back to change it and then no Wi-Fi networks showed at all (there was mine and 3 neighbors showing at first and all of them still showing on my laptop). I then spent three hours on the phone with BlackBerry tech support with no luck getting it to connect to any Wi-Fi at all. I was told that I needed to get it replaced... now to wait for the return label and replacement unit. And no, none of the Best Buy stores in the area received any 64 GB PlayBooks.
    Last edited by il309; 04-22-11 at 09:36 PM.
    04-22-11 09:33 PM
    Finally! This has been a long wait, and I am very happy, this thing rocks. Everything loaded great to include bridge. Those that say this thing is "half baked" are baked on something! What RIM has accomplished in a relatively short time with QNX is very impressive, I cannot wait to see what the future brings!
    04-22-11 09:37 PM
    i just gotta report back that after using the playbook now for several days this thing rocks!!!! i really love the size and the battery glitch i was having of it showing 96%only when fully charged had gone away after 3 charges.
    04-23-11 01:24 AM
    I pre ordered mine from HSN on 4/10,still waiting on it to ship,it was $579 for the 16gb but it came with accessories and had a 4x flexpay plan.
    Has anyone else ordered theirs from HSN and if so has yours shipped yet? it gave me an estimated delivery date of 5/3/2011 soi hope it ships soon i'm getting tired of waiting!
    I order the 16GB from HSN also on April 10.........and status just change on Friday to being shipped.....I love the flex play
    04-23-11 05:48 AM
    I order the 16GB from HSN also on April 10.........and status just change on Friday to being shipped.....I love the flex play
    Mine also shipped Friday,but i can't find anything on tracking,i think it is a USPS tracking # but nothing is showing up yet,my guess is it was shipped priority mail,hopefully it will get here quickly,i am tired of waiting!
    04-23-11 06:40 AM
    PlayBooks are kewl! That is all.
    04-23-11 11:16 AM
    Sob no money right now to get the playbook, but I think im going to wait until the 4g version comes out this fall anyways.That will probably be when i finally have enough money in any case.
    04-23-11 05:59 PM
    picked mine up today! i was a skeptic at first, but i think i'm going to like the size better than the iPad2 we have.
    04-23-11 06:26 PM
    got it and love it
    04-23-11 07:49 PM
    So, I'm not sure this counts as I got my playbook, but it wasn't a good day.

I finally made my cheap a** mind up to spend the cash and pick myself up a playbook. I don't know that I would call myself a fanboy, but I've had them all. Android, WM7, iPhone and of course many blackberries. I first got one for work and fell in love with the efficiency that it allows me.

Anyhow, I went to BestBuy and picked up my held 32g. Once home, noticed a bunch of dead pixels across the top of the screen. Returned it less than an hour after purchase and no more 32s or 64s. Called a bunch of other BestBuys in the area, all out except those too far to get there by 9.

Stores are closed on Easter Sunday, so now after having one - I'm sitting on my laptop waiting till Monday.

What are you gonna do, I guess? Thought Easter with the family was going to be a lot more interesting this year with playbook in hand, but not.
    04-23-11 10:20 PM
1,192 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD