Bought a 32 GB playbook about a month ago. Loved it so much, we bought a second one (64 GB this time).

Beautiful machines; has everything we expected, and more from a tablet.

The only thing is trying to determine where/what that awful smell is coming from. Whenever they are running, there is this 'chemical' burning type smell. It makes me quite sick really.
    11-30-12 02:01 PM
    Bought a 16gb off kijiji for $80. Liked it so much I bought a 64gb for $110 kijiji again and just sold my 16 after a few weeks for $100. I feel pretty good all in all. Waiting for bb10
    11-30-12 02:47 PM
    Bought a 32 GB playbook about a month ago. Loved it so much, we bought a second one (64 GB this time).

Beautiful machines; has everything we expected, and more from a tablet.

The only thing is trying to determine where/what that awful smell is coming from. Whenever they are running, there is this 'chemical' burning type smell. It makes me quite sick really.
    That does not sound right. How hot does the back of the device seem? Any seepage along the seams? Swelling in the back? And BOTH of them have this issue? Where did you purchase them?
    pbluv likes this.
    11-30-12 03:51 PM
    That does not sound right. How hot does the back of the device seem? Any seepage along the seams? Swelling in the back? And BOTH of them have this issue? Where did you purchase them?
    Thanks for your interest F2. The 32 was from Staples and the 64 from Walmart online. Devices don't seem hot; no seepage noticed; no swelling.
    We are working on narrowing down the problem. Isolated one device, both chargers, and two cases in a sealed box. So far we've left the 64 out, using it and we haven't noticed any smell. Next, we'll bring the 32 out. Then we'll bring out one charger and charge up the 64; then the 32. Then try the other charger. Then bring out the cases, one at a time. It will take several days, but we hope to figure out what the cause is. We got the two cases from amazon.ca.
    11-30-12 04:12 PM
    30 minutes into owning a 32gb playbook and I'm in love!!! This thing is great! It's so easy to flip and slide around amongst all my open apps. Email, browsing, YouTube, crackberry... Fantastic job RIM!
    11-30-12 07:04 PM
    I just picked up a second-hand but unused 32gb for $100. The person I got it from got it for free with another purchase and had no interest in using it. So far, I like it a lot and seems to be a perfect fit for what I want it for (browsing the web, checking email from the couch & a recipe book for the kitchen).

Most of the people I work with have an iPad or an Android tablet so I take some heat from them and have to put up with their comments about limited apps on the playbook but for the price of PB, I don't think you can go wrong for basic tasks especially when they cost the same or less than those crappy generic android tablets that are popping up everywhere these days. I love the clarity of the screen and processor speed seems pretty decent. The only problem I've had so far is trying to get an epub book purchased from Kobo into my Kobo library but i've found some suggestions in these forums that I'll try later tonight and hopefully resolve the issue.
    12-11-12 01:30 PM
    I just ordered my first tablet, a Playbook 16GB. I'm really looking foward to it, but not a clue about how I'll tell my wife I just got another toy...
    12-12-12 10:07 AM
    Picked my PB 64GB up 2 weeks ago here in UK for �129 then got 50% off genuine Blackberry leather case - love it and using it with my 9900 via Bridge is a dream.
    Brilliant value for money on current offers!
    12-12-12 10:11 AM
    I just ordered my first tablet, a Playbook 16GB. I'm really looking foward to it, but not a clue about how I'll tell my wife I just got another toy...
    Oh, it's so small and discreet that she'll never notice! Enjoy it in spite of the outcome of the wife's dismay.
    bruce807 likes this.
    12-12-12 11:20 AM
    Oh, it's so small and discreet that she'll never notice! Enjoy it in spite of the outcome of the wife's dismay.
    I may pick it up at the store today (70km around trip, hummm....). I feel like I'm swimming against the tide. First, I bought my 9320 at a time when no-one else around here has a BB (even the service providers stopped stocking them), and now I managed to find one of the last PBs (they never toke-off around here either), but I'm loving every bit of it

I'll be sure to read through the newbie threads about how to first set it up and update.
    Last edited by metale; 12-12-12 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo
    12-12-12 12:12 PM
    So, I bought my Playbook yesterday. As per the FAQ here, I did not try to turn it on when I arrived home. I plugged it in to get the battery charged and left it overnight.

This morning, the light was still blinking green (I thought it changed to steady green when charged?). I don't have wifi at home yet, and the box states that there must be wifi for the initial setup, so I turned my curve's hotspot ON. The PB accepted my BB ID without fuzz, and imediatly proceded to upgrade to 2.0.xxxx OS, downloading almost 500Mb via my phone's plan Ouch. It all went well tho, the PB rebooted and was up and working in minutes.

I'm yet to try to bridge it to the phone (will do tonight), but overall very smooth process and solid feeling device. It cost me €149,99 (for comparation, Nexus 7 wifi is at €250).

I know that on some markets the PB came with a free movie, but mine doesn't, or at least it is not at the gallery. It automaticaly asked me to bridge it to my phone, but I declined as I didn't had the bridge app on the phone yet.

Next, I need a case. Cheers everyone
    12-13-12 05:55 AM
    The free movie mine came with was the HD sample movie, swimming turtles and volcanoes. However, if there is a Video Store app for your country (either should be preloaded or available in App World), some of the featured movies are free for a while. I downloaded an animated Batman movie and some others already, and I hear that a while ago Sherlock Holmes had been free.
    12-13-12 06:54 AM
    I got my Playbook a few months ago and have just bought my 3 yead old son one as well.

He mainly uses mine for watching videos or playing the odd kids game, had to get him one to reclaim mine back.

People may say that it is a lot to get a 3 year old, but is it really with the way technology is moving on?
    FF22 likes this.
    12-19-12 05:47 PM
    I bought mine 3 months ago and I am really enjoying. For me, it is so important to organize word files. I dont even mention about bridge app. With my bb9780, i can use it like 4g lte. Not only for office issues, games also so good now. Bb is going very well at touchscreen tech.
    After BB10 os, everything will be better, i guess.
    12-20-12 12:38 PM
    @turk_oguz It can and will only get better.
    12-20-12 01:09 PM
    Just added a 32gig lte. Got it unlocked from Canada for $400. Yeah I know I love my playbook and would not settle for anything. So having the Lte speed, .5 bump in processor and still upgradeable to 10 os it's worth it to me. I know the hardware is good for at least another two years.
    12-20-12 01:43 PM
    Just added a 32gig lte. Got it unlocked from Canada for $400. Yeah I know I love my playbook and would not settle for anything. So having the Lte speed, .5 bump in processor and still upgradeable to 10 os it's worth it to me. I know the hardware is good for at least another two years.
    Wayy more than two years. That hardware will last almost a decade if cared for properly.
    12-20-12 01:52 PM
    I finally got a playbook for Christmas!!! And i couldnt be happier wayy better than my ipad 2...
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    12-26-12 06:51 PM
    I got a 32GB Playbook for Christmas ... still playing with it, going through BB AppWorld to find apps.

So far, love it. The video and sound quality is incredible!
    12-27-12 09:22 AM
    Got my wi-fi 64gb for Christmas, love it, taptu is awsome BB bridge is great just would like to have it that when u delete an email from mailbox and handheld it would also delete from playbook
    12-27-12 09:37 AM
    Joining the BB club after deciding I did have space in my life for a tablet, mostly for hols, especially abroad where a) internet phone charges are horrendous and b) I can't see the screen on my phone very well! The 64gb Playbook is going for a ridiculously cheap �124 in the UK right now so it wasn't a difficult decision.

Impressed with the support on this site. Thanks for now and in advance.
    12-31-12 11:50 AM
    F@#K you APPLE ....PLAYBOOK FTW!!!!!!!!!!! been using my beloved pb for 6 months and absolutely love it (im an android guy by d way)
    01-03-13 10:52 PM
    Bought a used 16g PB day after xmas. LOVE it.
    02-01-13 01:58 PM
    I bought my PlayBook almost a month ago and I loved it so much I bought one for my mom to replace her computer! Great machine! Now I only use my PC to back-up my PB and phone.
    03-14-13 01:47 AM
    Just got my 3rd 64gb playbook in the mail! Gave my first one to my girlfriend, lost my second one.

Searched everywhere for a 3G/4G 3g model but can't get them for decent prices
    04-24-13 01:22 AM
1,192 ... 45464748
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD