Just had to add to this thread... got my 64gb for Christmas n lovin it! The bridge to my phone is flat out awesome. I was so convinced this was the best tablet, especially for a bb phone user, I even gave my mom (just turned 70!) one. She's lovin it too

We just need to keep spreading the positive word, and really hope OS2 delivers... fingers still crossed
    12-31-11 12:55 PM
    Hi folks, got mine (32g) for boxing day at half price and my first impression is its much better than I expected. Looking forward patiently for OS 2 and feeling pretty smug about all those people went out and paid through the nose for an ipad christmas time. I for one am a commited Playbook man and have convinced 3 friends to go out and buy one this week.
    12-31-11 01:50 PM
    Just got my PlayBook (32GB) on the 25th and after playing around with it wanted to share some thoughts.

First the good: I'm incredibly happy with the hardware itself and how it fits in the hand. The smart bezels are awesome, and I'm really impressed at how effective they are compared to various other manufacturers' home buttons. The screen is truly excellent and I'm looking forward to my charging dock to use the PB as a photoframe at work (though it'd be nice to slow down the transition rate!). It seems like the model I got is free from the 'low power button' problem, as it's quite easy to depress (though I haven't had to do this since I first turned the device on). Opening the box itself was great - it was a nice treat to get a small carrying pouch for the PlayBook included and I'm impressed at how quickly the included rapid travel charger (re)charges the device.

Of course, we all know that the hardware is excellent. It's the software and especially basic UI design decisions that are the source of my gripes. The touchscreen is remarkably inaccurate - along the lines of mediocre Android devices - when compared against Windows Phone or iOS devices. I'm hoping that this improves dramatically in the 2.x release of the OS. The web browser is just poor - often incredibly slow, it cuts off icons along the top menu/URL bar when in portrait mode, and routinely has problems refreshing my mail in GMail. Sliding my finger to browse through the items in the menu bar just seems poor form and is not intuitive because this doesn't seem like a common design philosophy throughout the OS (as it is in the Metro design principles). The lack of OS-wide spell check was also a bit surprising; seems like a pretty basic feature in today's era of smart, mobile, devices. Overall the browser just seems 'clunky' compared to how clean the browsers are in either iOS devices or (my preferred) IE9 mobile. Overall, it really feels like QNX on the PlayBook is largely a refresh of BB 6/7 design principles and I'd like them to do something far more refreshing. I'm hoping that QNX 2.x also adds email, social media, and other common features that are in other devices, but I wasn't surprised (and thus not disappointed) they weren't in the OS 1.x on the PlayBook I got at Christmas.

When I first updated the OS there wasn't a single progress bar when the OS was actually booting, just an animated backdrop. I had thought that the device had gotten stuck in a loop of some sort. My partner looked on in worry, also thinking that something had gone wrong. This is not an ideal way of introducing someone to the OS.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not unhappy about the Playbook (I actually quite like it) and it's meeting the 'needs' I set out for it. That said, the OS is in need of serious polish (as are most 1.x releases). Hopefully RIM can do what Apple and Microsoft both did in their subsequent releases and dramatically improve the underlying software and design principles of the OS - the hardware is already close to perfect.
    Last edited by DamienThorn; 12-31-11 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Remove accidentally pasted text
    12-31-11 02:15 PM
    just ordered a 16 gb one. How much usable space does it has right out of the box ?
    12-31-11 03:10 PM
    Just got my PlayBook yesterday, love it!

Pics of my new PB, taken with my one week old Bold 9900
    12-31-11 05:00 PM
    Finally back on Crackberry ... instead of creeping around lol!

Picked up a 32GB Playbook ... So i will be all over the forums again learning.

Too bad i no longer have a BB phone to bridge to ... oh well.

Cheers.
    12-31-11 05:12 PM
    im with 32gigs PB + dakota 9900, and that's awesome !!
    I use the bridged play book with my old 9700 because the battery life is triple the 9900...
    I really only use the phone for business calls and do email, and everything else on the PB !!
    Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 12-31-11 at 08:03 PM.
    12-31-11 07:58 PM
    just ordered a 16 gb one. How much usable space does it has right out of the box ?
    anyone
    01-01-12 01:12 PM
    I just pick my 16gb up from Sprint an hour ago. It's still charging at this point to do the update. I looked everywhere and found the last place in the area that had it for $199. So excited. It's my birthday present to myself.
    01-01-12 01:23 PM
    picked mine up a few days ago, 32gb of total lovelyness for �200!! so happy with it. will be lurking around here alot from now on!
    01-01-12 02:23 PM
    anyone
    I had 14GB free when I checked, and I'd only put a few apps and wallpapers on mine, so it should be similar/slightly larger when new
    01-02-12 05:09 PM
    Congrats to all you new PB owners.
    01-02-12 05:11 PM
    Got my playbook for christmas wooohooo!!!!
    01-02-12 06:01 PM
    My wife got me a Playbook for christmas!!! it's a perfect pair with my 9900.. love the PB!!
    01-02-12 07:21 PM
    I had 14GB free when I checked, and I'd only put a few apps and wallpapers on mine, so it should be similar/slightly larger when new
    thanks ....
    01-03-12 01:29 PM
    Greetings all, new member here.
    Well, I got my 16Gb Playbook as a xmas bonus from my employer. It was a real surprise and not something I was thinking of buying for myself. I was thinking of getting an iPad, an easy move up from my 32GB iPod Touch. There are things I don't like about iOS, so I was also considering an Asus Transformer. And than plunk, here's this weird Blackberry device in my hands.
    First impressions were good. Fine fit and finish, obviously good hardware. The interface is fast and easy to learn and flash works! Plus it seems the perfect size. It has a nice screen and good sound and is smaller and lighter than an iPad while still being a great step up from the pod.
    So, what was missing? No native email. So what, I gmail. Next issue, no Skype. Well sheet! I like Skype, guess I'll have to settle for it working on 3 of my other computers. Someone said to me "no Twitter". I said, "I don't Twit!" I have also heard people complain about lack of other apps but so far it's got just about everything I want and more. From what I hear of the upcoming OS 2 for this baby, it's only going to get better.
    This is a great little device. My poor iPod sits cold and lonely in the desk drawer and the mighty Playbook goes with me everywhere.
    Last edited by TinRobot; 01-05-12 at 08:19 PM.
    Bob31464 likes this.
    01-05-12 08:15 PM
    Picked up the PB 16gb at bestbuy (Canada) for $225 taxes included last night. My wife and I both have BB 9700, she wanted to switch to the iphone so this me trying to get her to stick with the Rim :-)

First impression is good quality based on feel and weight compared to the other 10-15 tablets available at bestbuy. A kid in the shop had this hooked up to a 42" tv and looked amazing.

It's currently booting up and installing OS ver 1.0.8.6067 can't wait to get using it.

If all goes well I will have my own PB in a few weeks hahahaha
    cogsinister likes this.
    01-05-12 09:42 PM
    got my PB 32GB on Dec 26, very happy so far, still learning though
    01-07-12 11:22 PM
    I got mine 4 days ago and each day I like it
    more and more.......It's GREAT. I'm writing on it now.
    32GB
    Last edited by artie; 01-08-12 at 12:08 AM.
    01-07-12 11:56 PM
    Happy with mine also. I have had mine for 24 hours now. Feel totally at home in a very small amount of time. Love the keyboard, display, speed etc. So far so good except my gf has fallen for it. And she is a loyal 4s owner. haha!
    01-08-12 12:41 AM
    Im getting mine tomorrow. Dfl guys don't operate on sunday. :@
    And it will be delivered to my home at the time when i'll be writing my exam. :'( This id ridiculous! These 8days of wait have been quite harsh on me.
    01-08-12 01:00 AM
    Had mine for a couple of weeks. The initial boot up is slower than molasses in January ... until the wifi kicks this baby into gear. Have quite a few apps and have yet to see it lag. youtube streams perfect and the maps and nav are really close ... as good as google or better (IMO). One.sweet device and Blackberry knocks another one outa the park! Grand slam!!
    01-08-12 09:38 PM
    got mine last friday. I had to return it due to many many dead pixel. I exchanged it for the same model. I love it so far...zero dead pixels and no lag while using apps.
    01-08-12 10:28 PM
    Got mine this saturday after a lot of hunting. It is sold out across all channels in India.

Succesfully tethered it with my Nokia E5-00. Loving the display and the browsing experience. No reasons to complain. Less number of apps is a let down. But once you have access to android marketplace, it should not be a problem.
    01-09-12 01:20 AM
    So finally I can say that I own this beauty. Loving it!
    Wizza2000 likes this.
    01-09-12 05:15 AM
1,192 ... 3940414243 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD