I wish, I unlike most working Americans did not have to be at work before 0600. I would have loved to be posting this via my Playbook. I did have the hiccup of pre ordering of a 32gig and had to settle for a 16gig. Aside from that this is all if not more of what I could have wanted. The setup is slightly a drag only because it appears that without a wifi connection you are slightly dead in the water. However, if you are buying any device in 2011 and you do not have an internet connection......... you might be moving too fast for your britches anyways. So towards the end of my initial setup we were prompted for the BRIDGE. Man if this didn't just have me EXTRA sold on the device. True it does not have native email. Who does? On most devices you have to log in via a website or download an app? This is corrected with the BRIDGE. I do not have a need to send large files (presentations, tabbed spreadsheets, etc.) so it works great in replies and reading/viewing. Phone calls were announced via call id like function and did not interrupt anything else I was doing (syncing, watching a movie, etc.) The browsing with the BRIDGE was unstable at times, but the fact that I was browsing without the need of a wifi zone was worth the FREEBIE!!! THE ONLY COMPLAINT that I have currently is that it does not support my Jaybird Bluetooth headphones. Those of you who want to be EXTRA MOBILE, and not carry around a folder side tablet as if you were back in grade school....... GO GET THIS DEVIC!!!!
    04-20-11 06:38 AM
    Picked up the 32 launch morning. Took a bit to get the wi-fi going until I tried resetting the router and modem (hmmm...perhaps support should have made that suggestion instead of spending an hour trying to resolve the issue).

Anyway....LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the way the bridge works with my bb torch! Absolutely amazing. Send an email from the pb and it also shows sent from the phone (exact duplicate). Great for tasks, calendar, etc...no cable sync req'd.

Size is perfect. I NEVER liked the phone's web browsing but the playbook makes it possible.

FINALLY!!!

All the Apps and fun stuff will be worth the wait
    04-20-11 06:54 AM
    I got mine at Office Depot yesterday. 32Gig for the guy that wanted info on sizes. I went to BB first and they had nothing on display and the manager said they had not come in yet. There was a BB rep there and I mentioned to him that the manager said there were no units. He was frustrated and said that all of the units were in the cabinet in the cellular phone/tablet area and the manager knew that. They had only 16 gig to sell and had 6 32 gig pre-sold. I called an office depot near my office and they had a 32 gig. They held it for me and I picked it up last night on the way home.

Having said that I am hesitant to post my experiences because I know the fanboys on both sides of the fruit debate will pounce, but here goes. Setup was a breeze on my home network- connected and updated with no issues. The tablet is running 1.0.1.1690 now.

Positives: FAST, Beautiful OS and look and feel.

Opportunities:

1. Bridge will not connect to my BB. I have a 9780 on TMO with 6.0.0.534. Could not pair the devices at all. I have a ticket with RIM, who provided excellent support at 5 AM this morning.

2. No Documents to go on my tablet. The RIM customer support guy was surprised at this one and took a lot of notes.

These opportunities are show stoppers for me so I am hoping that RIM will demonstrate their commitment to us by quickly resolving- will advise.

So where am I? I am pleased with my purchase but a bit irked. I see the potential and truly believe this will be an awesome product, but some of the hiccups seem amateurish and easily avoided.

On a philosophical level I want this tablet to succeed because RIM has always been so supportive of betas, leaks etc and they are for an open platform, while some others seem focused on closed platforms.

My 2 cents anyway- fire away folks.
    04-20-11 06:59 AM
    Woop! bought mine 16GB version yesterday but will upgrade to the 32, 16GB wasnt enough for me lol. Btw how do i enable wifi file transfer on a pc, been trying to figure it out all yesterday with no luck.
    04-20-11 07:19 AM
    I got mine last night from costco. sales guy said not much going with the 16 but 32 and 64 selling well. Its an awesome piece of kit, fast, clear and I love it. Remember folks its not an exact science is the playbook, its stillevolving. Be part of this!!
    04-20-11 07:24 AM
    I got mine at Office Depot yesterday. 32Gig for the guy that wanted info on sizes. I went to BB first and they had nothing on display and the manager said they had not come in yet. There was a BB rep there and I mentioned to him that the manager said there were no units. He was frustrated and said that all of the units were in the cabinet in the cellular phone/tablet area and the manager knew that. They had only 16 gig to sell and had 6 32 gig pre-sold. I called an office depot near my office and they had a 32 gig. They held it for me and I picked it up last night on the way home.

Having said that I am hesitant to post my experiences because I know the fanboys on both sides of the fruit debate will pounce, but here goes. Setup was a breeze on my home network- connected and updated with no issues. The tablet is running 1.0.1.1690 now.

Positives: FAST, Beautiful OS and look and feel.

Opportunities:

1. Bridge will not connect to my BB. I have a 9780 on TMO with 6.0.0.534. Could not pair the devices at all. I have a ticket with RIM, who provided excellent support at 5 AM this morning.

2. No Documents to go on my tablet. The RIM customer support guy was surprised at this one and took a lot of notes.

These opportunities are show stoppers for me so I am hoping that RIM will demonstrate their commitment to us by quickly resolving- will advise.

So where am I? I am pleased with my purchase but a bit irked. I see the potential and truly believe this will be an awesome product, but some of the hiccups seem amateurish and easily avoided.

On a philosophical level I want this tablet to succeed because RIM has always been so supportive of betas, leaks etc and they are for an open platform, while some others seem focused on closed platforms.

My 2 cents anyway- fire away folks.
    And an update. It's 8:30 AM and magically Documents to go and a slough of other apps have appeared on my PB. That was FAST!
    04-20-11 07:40 AM
    Got my 64GB yesterday. Best Buy, Future Shop and Staples in downtown Toronto were all sold out of 64GB. Found one in Sears. Ran into the same problem as many people where the screen just stayed on the happy colorful circles for an hour after the update. Updated through DM which took forever, got circles again. After a hard reboot, finally got it running!!! No complaints yet. Except my build (1690) still has Quincy and Bug Reporter.
    04-20-11 08:25 AM
    I picked mine of from Best Buy during my lunch on launch day. I got it over to my buddy's restaurant and connected to his wi-fi and did the update. Been up and running GREAT ever since. This is a really great business device. When they get some more useful/fun apps in app world, the consumer market will quickly fall in love too. I hope hey start getting some of he android apps ported over or whatever the solution will be for running android apps soon.
    04-20-11 08:27 AM
    April 19th!!!! Thanks RIM I love the Playbook!!!!!!!!!!! QNX is amazing... and one thing the reviews don't mention is all the cool software that came bundled with it... NFS, Tetris, Adobe Reader X, Docs to Go, etc... It is great and will get better every day!!!!!!!!! Must have!!!!

BTW BB Bridge and Full web experience are amazing......
    Last edited by Elric_Edward; 04-20-11 at 09:06 AM.
    04-20-11 09:04 AM
    yeah i got my 32 gig and im very happy,i did play slacker radio all night lol.my android phone tether on it with no problem.i think the android OS is little slow or buggy compared to QNX.it is truelly comparable to the ipad.and BTW the stereo speakers are very good quality.i like the gmail that comes with it.
    04-20-11 09:08 AM
    This is my first post here at Crackberry.

First off I want to say that I am an Android guy. (Please don't throw stones yet)

I have been the search for the perfect Tablet (or at least in my opinion). I have gone through (within the past month) a Motorola Xoom, and a iPad 2.......

With that being said I have been very curious about the BB-Playbook ever since I first saw it.

I picked up mine yesterday at bestbuy (32GB) and I have to say that so far I am very pleased with it. I did run into the same pretty bubbles that remained on my screen for about an hour but after calling Blackberry Technical support and installing DM I've been good to go ever since.

Things I would like see fixed:

1.) Gmail - For some reason I am having a hard time putting a check mark in the boxes when using Gmail when I am trying to select multiple messages to delete..... maybe it's me... but I don't have a hard time selecting anything else.

2.) SD Card Slot - Just my option.... but i think it would of been a great addition.

All in all so far this is a great tablet. I am liking the OS so much that I might get a Blackberry phone (once the new models come out.
    04-20-11 09:10 AM
    Yeah love my 16 gig. Bridge is great and cant wait for more updates.
    04-20-11 09:21 AM
    04-20-11 09:30 AM
    04-20-11 09:31 AM
    Best Buy sux... backordered re order but had in stores
    04-20-11 09:52 AM
    I'm pissed! I live in rural Saskatchewan, Canada so I pre-ordered mine through Best Buy thinking that I'd get it a week later. Well... just got an email saying that my online order is "out of stock" and will be shipped when stock is available. I kinda thought that was the whole idea behind "pre-ordering". I took the initiative to be ahead of the people who "walk in" and think, "That looks cool. I think I'll buy one." Anyway, looking at options now.

UPDATE: Just ordered one from our provincial phone provider. One of those places that is often overlooked by people looking for these devices. Because of Easter weekend I should have it on Monday or Tuesday. Yay!
    Last edited by digitaldemon; 04-20-11 at 10:27 AM.
    04-20-11 09:53 AM
    I bought two 32GB units yesterday. We have corporate BES server with 50 users, I thought I would give it a try.

Below are my complaints.....

1) No Native mail client
    2) Cant "send page" or "send link" from browser (likely because not mail client)
    3) Cant use ANY cut/past from bridged applications to NON bridged applications. For example If find an address while browsing on my wifi and want to update my contacts in bridge by using CUT/paste...CANT!
    4) No BBM in bridge mode
    5) No Face to Face video chat
    5) Appworld is virtually empty
    6) No GPS makes applications like Poynt lose their sex appeal.
    7) Cant answer incoming calls on the playbook while bridged. I can only see the call come in and turn off the ringer. Why not allow an "answer" this way you can take the call on speaker or headset. The unit is already connected via Bluetooth, there is no technical reason why this wouldn't be available.
    8) Pictures/text viewed in email via bridge mode are not fine quality...likely they are compressed because of Bluetooth.
    9) The email control in bridge mode doenst allow for advanced searches like on the torch
    10) No global search like their OS6 - I loved that feature.
    11) Android "viewer" for Android apps still not available.

Yes the video/HD and multi tasking is nice...but for the business world...it lacks functionality big time!

Total disappointment...I wish I could return it and buy it in 6 months when its ready.

PS I have been using Blackberry since 2002. My first device was 950...simple email only device.
    04-20-11 10:10 AM
    I'm pissed! I live in rural Saskatchewan, Canada so I pre-ordered mine through Best Buy thinking that I'd get it a week later. Well... just got an email saying that my online order is "out of stock" and will be shipped when stock is available. I kinda thought that was the whole idea behind "pre-ordering". I took the initiative to be ahead of the people who "walk in" and think, "That looks cool. I think I'll buy one." Anyway, looking at options now.

UPDATE: Just ordered one from our provincial phone provider. One of those places that is often overlooked by people looking for these devices. Because of Easter weekend I should have it on Monday or Tuesday. Yay!
    that's funny. for me, I pre-ordered on Saturday Apr 16 and got my playbook from Best Buy at 9:00am Apr 19. I actually expected delivery to be like a week so I was pleasantly surprised.
    04-20-11 10:46 AM
    6) No GPS makes applications like Poynt lose their sex appeal.
    i thought the playbook has GPS????
    04-20-11 10:47 AM
    Got mine yesterday at Office Depot after several wasted trips to other stores who told me over the phone they had the 64Gb but actually didn't.

Started up fine, got through the set up just fine. Wi-Fi was seemless. Bridge worked fine but I am not able to actually view the Bridged Files other than some docs. No music or pics can be accessed so far from my 9550. I also could not transfer files via Bluetooth nor could I actually get online via the Bridge Browser. Keep getting a "cannot download corporate files" error message.

Screen is great, resolution of beautiful and the size is perfect. I figure most of these issues will be corrected at some point.

I am hesitant to download the DTM V6 coz last time I did that, I could no longer connect my 9550 to it and had to reload the V5. Didn't have the time to find corrective measures but I guess I will be forced to now if I want to sunc with my PB.
    04-20-11 12:29 PM
    Got mine yesterday at Office Depot after several wasted trips to other stores who told me over the phone they had the 64Gb but actually didn't.

Started up fine, got through the set up just fine. Wi-Fi was seemless. Bridge worked fine but I am not able to actually view the Bridged Files other than some docs. No music or pics can be accessed so far from my 9550. I also could not transfer files via Bluetooth nor could I actually get online via the Bridge Browser. Keep getting a "cannot download corporate files" error message.

Screen is great, resolution of beautiful and the size is perfect. I figure most of these issues will be corrected at some point.

I am hesitant to download the DTM V6 coz last time I did that, I could no longer connect my 9550 to it and had to reload the V5. Didn't have the time to find corrective measures but I guess I will be forced to now if I want to sunc with my PB.

Why do you need to sync it? Isn't that what the bridge is for? That way it mirrors your phone and no need to sync yet another device with it.
    04-20-11 12:45 PM
    i got mine this morning. I am stunned. This tablet is incredible. I can't put it down.
    04-20-11 12:48 PM
    Mine was delivered to my house yesterday , unfortunately I'm on vacation and won't get my hands on it until Sunday when I return

I also got an email from Staples today saying I would soon get an email letting me know when my pre-order would ship!
    04-20-11 12:57 PM
    Picked mine up today. Preordered 32gb from Best Buy and they still havent got it in so I went to another store a half hour away to get it. Not the end of the world. It is updating now.
    04-20-11 01:19 PM
    Got one delivered to the office yesterday from Staples!
    32GB.
    The form factor is great.
    The graphic and the flow is very impressive.
    Still having a issue with bridging my bold but other than that, I love it!
    Tethering is great and no worry with T-Mo!
    04-20-11 01:20 PM
1,192 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD