Update: Playbook plays just about every video format known to Man... and handles it extremely well... wow.. I am impressed so far
    dawlew likes this.
    04-19-11 01:56 PM
    @vatic looks like you got a PlayBook with a dead battery. You should exchange it.
    I ended up exchanging, thanks. Here is what the issue was in case someone else comes across it. I had a bit of a charge because i was able to turn on the playbook and start the set-up process. I got as far as entering in my App World id and password then the screen switched to the battery screen and started counting down from 60 seconds. It said to plug in to a power source with in the time count down or the unit will shutdown. I plugged the playbook in for about 1.5 hours and it did not have a charge, when I unplugged it the 60 second countdown started again. I then called to make sure Best Buy had others to exchange with. Hope this helps.
    04-19-11 01:58 PM
    Got mine this morning and returned it this afternoon. Both my home and business network use a non broadcast SSID. After over an hour with tech support and a call back from them to me, the BB guys informed me that "at this time" the Playbook OS does not support non broadcast SSID - but a patch should be coming in the next few weeks.

We will see. A bit surprised since on WiFi setup the option to name a hidden SSID exists (though obviously does not function).
    I was having the same problem this morning and BB tech support didnt know what was causing the problem, i resolved the issue by broadcasting my wireless router ssid and after the playbook was on the main screen i stop the broadcasting of the router again.
    04-19-11 02:13 PM
    im using wifi only on my 64gb playbook and im experiencing some sort of heating up on the back of it, anyone else experiencing that? it happens in a matter of minutes after i turn the device on :/
    04-19-11 02:13 PM
    Just got my 32GB, did the update and messing around with it now!
    04-19-11 02:14 PM
    Woohoo! Got mine, updating all the apps and then I'm going to play with everything. So far the pluses outweigh the minuses especially when you know a significant percentage of the minuses have been identified and a fix is on the way.

I don't often treat myself to things, so I am VERY excited about this!
    04-19-11 02:23 PM
    i got a 32 GB playbook, coming from the xoom.. the size is amazing.. i honestly never brought my xoom anywhere because it was so big.

One thing that worries me so far though.. the web browser reload pages a lot... even when there is ample RAM available.. i hope RIM fixes this, as i like to open up multiple tabs as i browse! it shouldn't randomly close/reload pages when 143MB of RAM are available!

Overall, the UI is amazing and i love this thing! i also bought the convertible case and really like it!
    04-19-11 02:24 PM
    just got back with my 32GB from Best Buy. no problems so far, connected to home and work eap-fast non-broadcasting wifi's with no issues. used the workaround to get bridge working, since i'm at&t. can't load sharepoint websites from work yet, but still working on it.
    04-19-11 02:36 PM
    Posting from my 32gb PlayBook right now. Very impressed overall - its wicked fast, handles all kinds of video insanely well, fast to type on, the speakers and screen are incredible, so is the UI.

Its only going to get better as time goes on so lets try to remember we're early adopters here. i wonder when BBM will be included in BB Bridge?
    04-19-11 02:39 PM
    since im stuck at work and can only stay on welcome screen etc, i can pull up the keyboard and have found that when you hold down a letter it pops up with other symbols that kind of look like that letter (EX. C = copyright symbol) check it out!
    04-19-11 02:42 PM
    got mine this afternoon. i walked up as the bestbuy guy called. 64gb working great and im using it right now. yayy
    04-19-11 02:49 PM
    got my 64gb model this morning. plugged it in, connected to wifi and I was off. it's fast, beautiful and fun. Go get one.
    04-19-11 02:55 PM
    any one from bay area? which store has the most range of PBs on hand?
    04-19-11 02:58 PM
    Update: Playbook plays just about every video format known to Man... and handles it extremely well... wow.. I am impressed so far
    Except for HD formats, anyone got a workaround for mkv files or a third-party video player that does HD content?
    04-19-11 03:00 PM
    posting this from my 64gb playbook!!! Was going to buy mine from Best Buy but they don't open till 10:00am. Went to OD instead. They opened at 7:00 am!

This thing ROCKS!!!!
    04-19-11 03:00 PM
    Got mine and setup was a breeze! It had no problem with my college's internet and I'm posting from it now
    04-19-11 03:10 PM
    I have about 10 minutes (100 MB of 287 MG) til the software update is complete. Got the 64 gig unit with the rapid charge station. Sat here swiping all over the screen til I figured out it meant "swipe here, sister!"

Be sure you keep the unit plugged in while updating. It will get, um, cranky on you otherwise!

Lalita
    l

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 03:11 PM
    Okay, first impressions as I type on my PlayBook (named Raina), is amazing. I love it, even though I had some trouble getting it past the agreement screen due to a non-existent Wi-Fi connection. I love this tablet and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
    04-19-11 03:12 PM
    Just got my 32gb from Best Buy. Doing the OS upgrade now. Hmmm I really should get back to work soon...
    04-19-11 03:13 PM
    Got my playbook this morning, I was the first costumer at RadioShack in Long Beach. I had called 2 days prior the release date to know how many they had in stock and see if they could put one on the side for me. They only had 2 and no putting aside. Made sure I arrived as soon as the store opened (9am), no line up and nobody else showed up while I was in there. Guess there are not any other rim geeks in the area. Good for me! Haven't played with it yet because I'm at work and it's pretty busy. But as soon as I have a few moments for myself I'll fire it up!
    04-19-11 03:14 PM
    It took me a minute to figure this out, too. I'm at a Starbucks, using their WI Fi. I forgot to accept their terms and conditions on that firast page. Go to configure hotspot, I think, to take care of it. Then, you'll be in business.

Lalita

I received my pre-ordered device Friday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised, until I tried to activate it. I too am stuck at the accept agreement screen. I'm surprised there aren't more posts on Crackberry about this. I guess just not that many people received them.

Anyway, it has made for a very long weekend, to see this shiny new BlackBerry sitting here and not be able to do anything with it, while reading about others using theirs. I don't understand why BlackBerry would force us to wait until the 19th to be able to use it.
    04-19-11 03:14 PM
    Picked mine up from BestBuy and they updated it for me. If I would have known that it was going to take over 2hrs with their wifi setup (can you say s-l-o-w), I would have done it quicker at home! But all things work well and I am a happy camper. Got the Bridge working. What a sweeeeet tablet!
    04-19-11 03:15 PM
    I have been playing with my 32GB iPad replacement all afternoon, with only momentary interruptions to do actual work.
    Except for HD formats, anyone got a workaround for mkv files or a third-party video player that does HD content?
    I am playing a MKV right now no problems yet.
    Just unboxed my 16GB PB. Beautiful! Even after seeing all the videos online with the lead-up to launch, this thing was smaller than I thought. Good weight to it, and the quality was top notch and obvious from the moment I opened the box.

I'm 56% into downloading the new update which is 287MB large.

Noticed a bright spot in the lower right edge when I first powered up. But this is normal for backlit lcd displays. Barely noticeable. Screen is crisp and beautiful.

Btw, I pre-ordered from Best Buy Canada and received my pb at 3:30 pm on launch day. Not bad, especially with free shipping.

04-19-11 03:19 PM
1,192 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD