Anyone been able to figure out how to drag a window when using citrix (hold down left mouse button equivalent)?
    03-27-12 09:28 AM
    What's the strap on the back of the keyboard for?
    03-27-12 09:43 AM
    What's the strap on the back of the keyboard for?
    Flip the strap around the case to keep it closed.
    03-27-12 11:19 AM
    FYI, my order has arrived at the store for pickup. I placed it March 20 online, they emailed yesterday to say it would take 3-6 business days, and today it's already in...
    03-27-12 02:09 PM
    FYI, my order has arrived at the store for pickup. I placed it March 20 online, they emailed yesterday to say it would take 3-6 business days, and today it's already in...
    Nice! My order just arrived at the store for pickup as well. Going to head there after work! Can't wait!
    03-27-12 04:02 PM
    the keyboard itself is good but the case is too heavy and bulky with the PB in it. I've gotten so use to the thin and lightweight/fits anywhere PB that this case is too big and a disappointment.

For me, I don't like the viewing angle with the stand pulled out on the back of the case and find it to be easily collapsible. This is not a use on your lap unit.

Since I plan on using the keyboard infrequently I'll continue with the PB in its own case and the keyboard in an OEM PB leather sleeve, where it fits as if it was made for it, and carry the kb as an accessory when needed.
    jeffkleber likes this.
    03-27-12 05:06 PM
    the keyboard itself is good but the case is too heavy and bulky with the PB in it. I've gotten so use to the thin and lightweight/fits anywhere PB that this case is too big and a disappointment.

For me, I don't like the viewing angle with the stand pulled out on the back of the case and find it to be easily collapsible. This is not a use on your lap unit.

Since I plan on using the keyboard infrequently I'll continue with the PB in its own case and the keyboard in an OEM PB leather sleeve, where it fits as if it was made for it, and carry the kb as an accessory when needed.
    I never thought I would need another case and you've made my, ahem, case! I would just want the keyboard as a standalone unit, although I don't expect rim to oblige.
    03-27-12 05:56 PM
    If you want a standalone keyboard, I think there are possibly other BT keyboards that would be better for you. The main advantage of this one is how it's matched with the PB, in the case. If I didn't want it like that, I'd want a larger KB to make it easier to type.

I'm very slow on this one for now, but it is an advantage to be able to type with the app fullscreen, and with some degree of touch-typing. I'm at 37wpm but can probably get above 50 with a week or two of practice. Anywhere below that feels very inefficient to me (normally 70+, on an MS Natural ergonomic keyboard).
    03-27-12 09:07 PM
    While a real-sized bt keyboard would be nice, it would be the portable size of this one with its matching/working trackpad that would be nice to have. But I'm not in any rush and I don't expect any tax returns from Uncle Sam or Obama!
    03-27-12 10:10 PM
    im waiting for one of you to get a home made ghetto solution to keep the playbook and keyboard slim. there is a lot of wasted space with the current setup. love the pb, and love the keyboard, but the case is a little basic and heavy. though it will suffice for now

someone hurry and make a ghetto solution for the bulky case combo
    03-27-12 11:05 PM
    im waiting for one of you to get a home made ghetto solution to keep the playbook and keyboard slim. there is a lot of wasted space with the current setup. love the pb, and love the keyboard, but the case is a little basic and heavy. though it will suffice for now

someone hurry and make a ghetto solution for the bulky case combo
    (I guess I need text along with the solution)
    Guyzer likes this.
    03-27-12 11:59 PM

Exactly what I've done after a week of using the case that came with the keyboard. Agree with you on viewing angle too ... using my Logiix Roadster portfolio case. It too uses an band to secure it closed. For easy carrying when I want to take the keyboard too, I put the band around both creating an easy to carry unit that still weighs less than it does in the PB Keyboard case.
    03-29-12 01:37 PM
    I pre-ordered mine from crackberry. Order status still says that it is out of stock!
    03-29-12 04:18 PM
    Update on a better home made ghetto Keyboard Case:
    Pardon the delay but work has been a madhouse this week. Disclaimer - all measurements eyeball estimates...
    Yer gonna love this : I've received 7...er...11 Forum messages about my plans since posting.
    I have a background in model-making, prototyping and theatrical Props building so this thinking beyond the box comes naturally. I also believe in Style without sacrificing Utility.
    As I'd hinted I wanted to have an elegant minimalist Portfolio Case that complimented the PlayBook & Keyboard design aesthetic while protecting from the usual bumps and scuffs of the real world. I could have vacuformed or machined a one-off enclosure but I wanted something anyone could replicate.

I think I have the Klassy Keyboard Kase solution that anyone with basic skills and the urge can build if they so desire. For ~CN$60!

Now that I have all the elements in hand (ordered the new Barely There tray and ROOTS portfolio stand case from Crackberry.ca on Tuesday and they arrived today - Thursday. (Way to go, guys! Two thumbs up.) I will begin assembly over the weekend and post the results in a step by step How-to for all to read.

The Roots case is luxurious padded genuine creature leather over a firm inner core, sewn in the Northwest Toronto Roots Factory. It has a soft 'velcro-friendly' lining. It closes magnetically and has a total closed thickness under 7/8". Meant for the Playbook alone.
    All the other cases (including the RIM Keyboard Case) are made of polyurethane 'pleather' and consequently begin to chip around the folds and seams. The linings, while soft, are microfiber moleskin which Velcro will not hook to.

Most cases use a fold-out dogleg of some sort to support the cases as stands but they collapse with the slightest touch of the screen and don't really accommodate lap use.
    The Roots case opens the opposite way around using the outside cover leaf as a wide solid base - the PB sleeve has a slim tab of Velcro hook that securely positions the Playbook at infinite viewing angles. This design does not easily fall over.

I will be securing the RIM Keyboard to this ROOTS cover lining with the thin (1/32") Industrial Sticky-back Velcro self-adhesive Hook panels. (find it at CanTire). This is not your Mama's thick removable adhesive Velcro - this is your Dad's super slim, thinner than a dime, heavy duty sticks-like-OEM-car trim Velcro.
    This will 'stick' the keyboard to the cover and allow it to be repositioned anywhere on the panel when using the case as a stand...or remove completely and cleanly as a remote keyboard.

I will be removing the Roots leather PB holster from the other cover leaf, replacing it with the thin Barely There as a snap-in tray for the PB. If clearance allows it will also be Velcroed in place - otherwise I will glue it in.

The Barely There really is! It's a thin (3/128") strong polycarbonate minimalist case that snaps around the PlayBook (similar to the Speck hard shell cases for MacBooks, etc). It has a rubberized satin surface that matches the Playbook.
    (much nicer than RIM's rubber restraint jacket.)
    check it out:
    Review: Case-Mate Barely There For PlayBook - BerryReview

Total thickness of the Barely There tray w Playbook + the Keyboard is ~5/8" which will fit perfectly inside the folded ROOTS case as modified including thin Velcro fastenings.

Picture post will follow in a few days.
    Sergeant HCR likes this.
    03-29-12 11:33 PM
    two thumbs up for the KKK (Klassy Keyboard Kase). I wonder how this would market?
    Old Davy likes this.
    03-30-12 01:49 AM
    Finished what I set out to do:
    Eight dime-sized discs punched from super slim Velcro secure PB tray and KB directly to ROOTS case lining. Playbook is a snap to remove from Barely There tray if I wish.
    Quick deployment slots PB tray into keybed depression for trackpad control - may never need to smear the screen again.
    Easy to convert for full keyboard access. Stable for laptop use on trains & planes & sofas.
    Closed, the keyboard edge mates to the tray lip so there is no possibility of sliding rubbing movement. Keyboard cannot contact PB screen protector - in fact there is room for a cleaning cloth without increasing sandwich. No need for magnetic or strap closure (unless you are really dropsy-prone).
    Padded leather exterior affords a better grip on the rig and it looks Klassy as envisioned, imho.
    conix67, Sergeant HCR and Guyzer like this.
    04-01-12 02:31 PM
    Have this keyboard coming in, which I picked up for $45. Will review it here once it comes in.
    Last edited by jegs2; 04-01-12 at 02:41 PM.
    04-01-12 02:39 PM
    Very nice write up. Question - can you do this without the Barely There try? Could you not attach the belcro directly to PB?

If this will allow me to use dock charger as well, I'm definitely going to build one for myself.
    04-01-12 02:47 PM
    Yes! I cannot wait to see the how to for that diy case.
    04-02-12 03:53 AM
    Davy...do you have a picture of the new ghetto case w/ keyboard in a closed position?
    04-02-12 07:01 AM
    Sure, you could stick the Velcro hook directly on to the Playbook backside but be forewarned - the 'sticky back' adhesive is industrial strength, will be fully 'set' in 24 hours and be very difficult to remove without leaving an unsightly mess of residue and risk damage to the backside in doing so.

I chose to use the thin Barely There case as a tray to avoid this issue and so I can admire the naked beauty of the PB at all times.
    You'd have to remove the PB to place it in the charging cradle stand so that's a good reason to keep the PB removable. I use the magnetic travel charger with the case opened but then that's only every couple of days while I'm doing other tasks anyway.
    Last edited by Old Davy; 04-04-12 at 10:46 PM.
    04-02-12 07:09 AM
    Sure, you could stick the Velcro hook directly on to the Playbook backside but be forewarned - the 'sticky back' adhesive is industrial strong, will be fully 'set' in 24 hours and be very difficult to remove without leaving an unsightly mess of residue and risk damage to the backside in doing so.

I chose to use the thin Barely There case as a tray to avoid this issue and so I can admire the naked beauty of the PB at all times.
    You'd have to remove the PB to place it in the charging cradle stand so that's a good reason to keep the PB removable. I use the magnetic travel charger with the case opened but then that's only every couple of days while I'm doing other tasks anyway.
    Thanks. I figured that would be the reason. Since you have both RIM's case and Barely There, how difficult is it to remove/insert PB from/to the Barely There case compared to RIM's case? I have two dock chargers and if possible I'd like to use them. The RIM's case is nice, but definitely not suited for frequent removal of PB.
    04-02-12 08:08 AM
    Sergeant - case closed from several angles...and where I placed the 8 Velcro 'dimes'.
    They are placed slightly inboard to clear the thicker sewn cases edges and of course they are 'invisible'.

I have yet to examine any other case that has a velcro-friendly lining, which makes this case re-construction possible. Well, for other cases you could punch out matching dimes from the adhesive fuzzy Velcro but this would simply add yet another thickness to the dimensions and render the attachment points wobbly. The ROOTS case is already fuzzyloop-lined.

The stitching is a dark gray and does not show as vividly as the flash would indicate.
    Being padded leather the case may appear a bit lumpy but in fact it does lie flat under its own weight. The additional double thickness at the hinge end is due to the leather stitching and the folded in PB backing panel; the keyboard panel leaf is one layer.

Note: un-stitching the leather ROOTS PB holster reveals slight cutouts in the liner cloth with no stitching holding the edges together. I used rubber cement on a toothpick to secure those edges and any loose thread ends. You'll want to pick out the stitching from the lining side leaving ends long enough to knot together and tuck in for a tidy appearance. Blacken any visable white edges with a Sharpie and you'll never notice.

DO NOT unpick the gray top stitching! The case is pre-assembled in layers with a glue along the edges and the top stitching will stay tightly glued in place even though the back thread is removed. Trust me.

Conix, the Playbook is literally a fingersnap to remove from the tray (unlike the RIM rubber frame which will wear the PB edges).
    As you can see in the pictures the Barely There has lipped edges top and bottom that barely snap over the PB. They do not cover the front glass gasket. There are no lips at the sides. Being a perfect molded fit rigid polycarbonate skin shell, it holds the Playbook snugly, is unlikely it will ever break and as I said the PB easily just snaps out with one finger.

Removing the PB to place on the stand dock charger is hassle-free (unlike the RIM frame that almost requires a crowbar).
    Guyzer, Sergeant HCR and conix67 like this.
    04-02-12 07:18 PM
    Jegs, I have that other Bluetooth Keyboard case. I think it is glued to the case panel. Also sold as the HipStreet/I-Tec - that's the magneticly held one.
    If I am correct this is the one with a one-piece silicon keydesk and the typing action is...um...like typing on fresh gummibears. I have had no unconnection issues with it and got used to the typing but the keyboard and its case are wider than the Playbook, the jacket covers half of the screen swipe margins, uses the dogleg stand that falls over too easily...and I have come to really appreciate the RIM trackpad and tactile key action.
    Guyzer and Sergeant HCR like this.
    04-02-12 07:38 PM
    Instead of removing keyboard to reposition it in "desktop" configuration, are there any thin plastic sliders available that can be attached below keyboard so it can be just pulled out? Something like that would make this design even more compelling.
    04-03-12 02:31 PM
115 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD