TheSource now out of stock online, so much for peeps saying too expensive and wait for liquidation sale.
    Glad I got mine.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-25-12 09:38 AM
    If you're a BB user and you use bridge..why pay for a keyboard..you can just use the physical keys on your phone.sure the keys are alil small..but personaly I'm all about saving money..and using what's already at my disposal
    03-25-12 10:15 AM
    In the stores????? I just checked my pre-order with cb and it hasn't yet shipped.
    03-25-12 11:17 AM
    Such a beautiful day here in Maple Ridge BC. Hopped on the motorcycle and enjoyed a beautiful ride out to Mission to pick up 3 of these keyboards--one for me and one for each of my boys

The Source here in Maple Ridge and the one in Mission had such GREAT things to say about the PB and BB in general. Great day!
    03-25-12 05:22 PM
    Such a beautiful day here in Maple Ridge BC. Hopped on the motorcycle and enjoyed a beautiful ride out to Mission to pick up 3 of these keyboards--one for me and one for each of my boys

The Source here in Maple Ridge and the one in Mission had such GREAT things to say about the PB and BB in general. Great day!
    You want to bike on down to Seattle? I looked at Source online and there were no keyboards between the border and Vancouver but I must have looked at the wrong locations.
    03-25-12 06:21 PM
    Just went and bought a keyboard from "The Source" and they had 6 left on the shelve, I must add the sales people were very helpful here.
    The keyboard just made my Playbook a whole lot more versitile,it only gets better and better.....One very happy customer with RIM.
    03-25-12 06:35 PM
    If you're a BB user and you use bridge..why pay for a keyboard..you can just use the physical keys on your phone.sure the keys are alil small..but personaly I'm all about saving money..and using what's already at my disposal
    That thought has crossed my mind, too.

I'd say the biggest difference is that the BT keyboard might just accommodate touch-typists. I'm interested, myself, but I'm pretty picky when it comes to keyboards and I'd want to try it first.
    03-25-12 06:42 PM
    You want to bike on down to Seattle? I looked at Source online and there were no keyboards between the border and Vancouver but I must have looked at the wrong locations.
    I called mission yesterday and they brought 3 in from Abottsford for today.
    Ride to Seattle would be great. Weather looks bad for the next week though. What are you riding?
    03-25-12 07:11 PM
    Ride to Seattle would be great. Weather looks bad for the next week though. What are you riding?
    I drove from Delta to Abby and bought the last one...
    03-25-12 08:51 PM
    like the keyboard but i have issues with it disconnecting ALOT.
    i fully charged it up , and it will work flawlessly for 5-6 min then go off for about 2 min, then comes back on. but i usually shut it off then on to get it back up faster.

anyone else? or did i get a bad one or is it me?? lol

playbook 2.0 , also connected to BB 9810. don't think the double Bluetooth connection is doing it as I have had many BT set up on my playbook before without a hicup.
    03-25-12 09:09 PM
    like the keyboard but i have issues with it disconnecting ALOT.
    i fully charged it up , and it will work flawlessly for 5-6 min then go off for about 2 min, then comes back on. but i usually shut it off then on to get it back up faster.

anyone else? or did i get a bad one or is it me?? lol

playbook 2.0 , also connected to BB 9810. don't think the double Bluetooth connection is doing it as I have had many BT set up on my playbook before without a hicup.
    No issues with disconnecting. Issues with actual usability. Faster to type on actual pb and/ or via bridge with bb connected.
    03-25-12 10:09 PM
    Bicycles!!!! Today, I noticed one that I thought I had sold - so only 5! While friends have done the Seattle-Vancouver, I've not done it. Been on a motorcycle once many years ago.
    03-25-12 10:09 PM
    Bicycles!!!! Today, I noticed one that I thought I had sold - so only 5! While friends have done the Seattle-Vancouver, I've not done it. Been on a motorcycle once many years ago.
    Hopefully they will be available for you soon. Else, borrow a motorcycle and ride on up
    03-26-12 02:31 AM
    Issues with actual usability. Faster to type on actual pb and/ or via bridge with bb connected.
    Can you elaborate on this ?

It's not smaller than the pb keyboard at least.
    03-26-12 02:37 AM
    Hopefully they will be available for you soon. Else, borrow a motorcycle and ride on up
    I'll have to check if there's a Source store near Mountain Equipment Coop to make the trip doubly rewarding and EXPENSIVE! MEC is on Broadway if I recall.
    03-26-12 09:01 AM
    I'll have to check if there's a Source store near Mountain Equipment Coop to make the trip doubly rewarding and EXPENSIVE! MEC is on Broadway if I recall.
    Source in Kingsgate Mall (Kingsway and Broadway) about 5 or 6 blocks east of MEC.
    Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 03-26-12 at 09:23 AM.
    03-26-12 09:21 AM
    going to return mine. just don't find the full need for it.
    price is fine and not an issue, shoot i got the PB day one so i am far from worried about price..lol

just overall use is great but no for me.
    03-26-12 09:59 AM
    I just got mine.

I have been using the Hip Street keyboard case for a month+ now. I swapped the PB into the RIM case. The functionality of the RIM case is good but the design is not as good as Hip Street. The HS case has magnets in the flip-out stand and cover making for a non-flimsy case. I can also access the USB port easily. The RIM case has the elastic strap to keep it closed. Sort of takes away from the case. And I can't access the USB port to charge when the case is closed. I could cut a hole in it but who wants to cut holes in a $100 case lol

The power button is also behind one of the corner elastics on the RIM case but how often will I turn it off if the battery is good for 30 days. The RIM case is more compact for sure than the HS case.

The touchpad is really cool. I can get use to that. I found using the HS keyboard and trying to use the touchscreen at the same time is awkward. The RIM case now feels more natural in that regard. The RIM case still has the earphone jack easily accessible when the case is closed whereas the HS case covers it over and can't be closed properly if the earphones are left in.

For those who say 'why not get a laptop', compare the PB and whatever case to a laptop, even a netbook. The PB / case combo wins hands-down for being light and compact.

I have to decide now which one I want to keep.
    03-26-12 12:13 PM
    Just got an email from The Source saying my online order placed March 20 is shipping, with tracking info available within 24h and delivery to my local store within 3-6 business days.
    03-26-12 01:25 PM
    Pre-ordered mine on the 13th and it was shipped out on the 23rd. It arrived in Vancouver yesterday and is out for delivery today for in-store pickup. I'm hoping I get that phone call soon!
    03-26-12 01:43 PM
    Actually, I'm thinking of getting some sticky magnetic backings for my RIM kb / touchpad and use it in my Hip Street case. Best of both worlds.
    03-26-12 02:12 PM
    I think the trackpad is pretty cool but when you have a touchscreen why bother with the trackpad. I would use it though remotely whilie sitting on the couch and the pb on the big screen. I actually would have preferred a larger keys to the trackpad. Instead of the trackpad they could have used a trackball like thing on the top left and right of the keyboard. Like you find on the wireless hp keyboard. Where you can click in the trackball as well for left or right clicks. Maybe version 2.0 of the keyboard will have it.

Also when typing numbers you have to add 1 to everyone for anyone who knows how to type without looking.

I do love the keyboard though. Its a sure keeper. Bought both the pb and the keyboard on day 1. Its improved my effectiveness on the playbook. Now theres no need to tote the laptop around.

Works good with rdp apps as well, the right click double tap function is nice. Get one if you dont already have one, but one warning for anyone with large fingers. You might want to try it out first before you buy otherwise your just finger typing like on the virtual keyboard.

I would say anyone over 6 feet needs to try before you buy unless your a skinny guy

03-26-12 02:39 PM
    Pre-ordered from the Source on March 12, picked it up in-store March 23.
    Lovin' the 64GB Playbook, the magnetic rapid charger and now, the astoundingly thin robust official Keyboard.
    The official clunky keyboard Case - not so much. The thick cover panels, heavy stiff fat p-book rubber/plastic frame, lack of secure magnetic closures (really, a cheesy thin garment elastic that allows the covers to slide the two halves across each other?) and the keyboard's thick ugly corner elastics detract from the elegance factor, adding +3/16" unnecessary bulk making the new case over 9/8" thick, when it could have been a slim 3/4" volume. The new case without the keyboard weighs as much as the Playbook on its own.
    I agree with Sergent HCR about the clumsiness and drawbacks of the RIM case.
    So I've ordered two Case-Mate Barely There Cases and the Roots Portfolio from Crackberry.ca store to make my own slim vision of what I feel the Playbook and it's Keyboard deserve to be showcased in.
    I appreciate that the keyboard is meant to be easily removable for across the room control of the HDMI connected Playbook at home and in conference but the elastics exit the cover panel under the keyboard rather than at its edge margins, raising it 1/16" and allowing it to flex in use. The elastic across the corners adds another 1/16" of 'dead air' between it and the Playbook's heavy rubber frame surround. Unnecessary clearance in that the rubber frame already has a raised edge preventing screen contact with the keyboard when closed. As for that bulky frame - as mentioned above you have to crowbar-pry the Playbook to get it out and I can predict wearing of the edges of the rubber coated Playbook itself after a few removals.
    So much nicer if it - and the keyboard - could be easily snapped out of edge clips.
    To reiterate though, I adore the Playbook and Keyboard elegant forms and flawless function; I want the whole rig to be thinner and lighter so I'll build my own case.
    Sergeant HCR and Guyzer like this.
    03-26-12 11:19 PM
    ... the keyboard's thick ugly corner elastics detract from the elegance factor, adding +3/16" unnecessary bulk making the new case over 9/8" thick, when it could have been a slim 3/4" volume.
    9/8" - 3/16" = 3/4" ?
    Shouldn't that be 15/16"?
    03-27-12 05:07 AM
    So I've ordered two Case-Mate Barely There Cases and the Roots Portfolio from Crackberry.ca store to make my own slim vision of what I feel the Playbook and it's Keyboard deserve to be showcased in.
    Can you elaborate on how you are going to use those products to make a custom kb case?

I used some black electrical tape and taped 4 dimes on the back of the RIM kb/tp to magnetically attach it to the Hip Street case. Works pretty good lol
    Old Davy likes this.
    03-27-12 06:53 AM
115 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD