I'm new on here and may be groping in the dark, but here goes. I'm a college student studying accounting. I got my Playbook to fill holes for when my laptop was on it's last legs and I didn't have the money to get a new one. Since then I've discovered Bridge, etc and I'm really happy with the whole system, except that the excel viewer that comes with the playbook is woefully inadequate for what I do for homework, etc... Does anyone know if the new Office365 Excel would work on the Playbook? I saw on CNET that it's supposed to be used with tablets and smartphones.. I have a 64 Gb playbook and 9800 Torch with At&t..
    Thanks!
    07-16-12 04:02 PM
    Unfortunately the Playbook browser can't handle it afaik. The side loaded DocsToGo is okay for some things.
    07-16-12 04:17 PM
    What you CAN do is use the web-based Office apps (i.e. SkyDrive), and they work just fine. I actually prefer MS' web-based Excel to DocsToGo (assuming Internet connectivity, of course )
    davethefree likes this.
    07-16-12 04:20 PM
    Still testing - but do you know that MS does own Skype, eh!

<grin> you may be surprised at what you'll be able to "use" in Office365 & your PlayBook!!!!!

Finally.....
    07-16-12 04:25 PM
    Still testing - but do you know that MS does own Skype, eh!

<grin> you may be surprised at what you'll be able to "use" in Office365 & your PlayBook!!!!!

Finally.....
    07-16-12 04:25 PM
    I'm new on here and may be groping in the dark, but here goes. I'm a college student studying accounting. I got my Playbook to fill holes for when my laptop was on it's last legs and I didn't have the money to get a new one. Since then I've discovered Bridge, etc and I'm really happy with the whole system, except that the excel viewer that comes with the playbook is woefully inadequate for what I do for homework, etc... Does anyone know if the new Office365 Excel would work on the Playbook? I saw on CNET that it's supposed to be used with tablets and smartphones.. I have a 64 Gb playbook and 9800 Torch with At&t..
    Thanks!
    Does your school have Office 365 available to you? Otherwise I'm not quite sure how you'd get access to it?
    07-16-12 04:27 PM
    They are going to replace live@edu with Office 365 for education so his question is quite plausible.
    07-16-12 04:34 PM
    They are going to replace live@edu with Office 365 for education so his question is quite plausible.
    Never knew that, sounds like a great idea though.
    07-16-12 04:47 PM
    Microsoft Releases Office 365 for Education | PCWorld Business Center

I have been following this for a while, but as you can see the announcement is fairly recent.
    07-16-12 04:53 PM
    You can sign up for the Office365 service demo. I played with it a bit though didn't do anything on the office apps other than just see if they worked and they did. In the early days of Office365, the app's did not work well on the PlayBook.

The email, calendar and contacts work well and changes sync almost instantly with the PlayBook. The combo of MSoffice on the PC and Office365 allowed the existing contacts and calendars in the PC to sync to the PlayBook.
    07-16-12 07:11 PM
    I found the use of the Playbook on screen keyboard was a little problematic. The autocaps on the first paragraph would put the cursor before the capitalized letter. Thus typing more puts the letters to the left and you are then typing backwards. You can move the cursor to the right after the first letter, but it's not always easy with setting its location on the touch screen. I found the easiest way to type in Web Word is to use the bridge remote to my Curve. It's a bit iffy editing at times, and I see no way to edit local stored Docx files, or save them to the PB. Would like to see Microsoft actually support a Playbook version as they have ios and Android.
    07-16-12 11:33 PM
    Thanks fellas! Usually my school does give us the newest Office suite for like $20... saves a fortune, and I assume they're making it available... the real deal is them dropping Novell Groupwise and switching to Outlook Groupwise was just too hard to manage in a Microsoft world
    07-17-12 07:30 AM
    GroupWise is so much more secure than Outlook and Exchange - was a sad day when I had to switch the network I manage over to Exchange...

I hope GroupWise 2012 gains some ground for in-house deployments.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    08-18-12 05:28 AM
    If 365 can be used on the Playbook I will get in line to buy as Doc To Go is in need of improvements.
    08-18-12 10:29 AM
    Office 365 isn't really something that you buy. It's a subscription solution for businesses to easily deploy different cloud-hosted Microsoft services. I've used the beta and the apps are very simplified, but they're sufficient for web based editing.

You're looking at ~$6 per month for a single user license, but that will only give you web based access to your documents. If you own Office 2007 or 2010, you can synchronize it with 365 fairly easily though.
    08-18-12 10:47 AM
    can I run Office 365 in a PB web browser?

can I run Outlook 365 in BES on the Playbook

thank you
    06-30-13 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD