I don't know if it's just the people I happen to come into contact with, but it seems like whenever I see a smartphone/tablet user, their touchscreens are always dirty. I mean, I can understand the expected smudges from a normal day's use, but I don't know what kind of unknown substance these people have on their hands that would make their screens so filthy. Personally, I always wash my hands before I use my phone, tablet, laptop, etc. Maybe it's a little OCD-ish on my part, but I don't want a bunch of oily smudges or any other crap distorting the brilliant PlayBook screen.

Does anyone else have an OCD-like obsession about using their PlayBook with clean hands? I find that I wipe my screen often as well.

Thanks, guys, and take care.
    sk8er_tor and Lhendr like this.
    12-07-11 03:34 PM
    I find I'm always wiping my screen as well. Especially if I'm going to show someone the tablet, I'll say just one second and wipe it down lol. It seems most people don't care and find it odd I clean it so often. But the finger prints and smudges drive me nuts!!!
    12-07-11 03:49 PM
    I always have a microfibre towel nearby, and I am also obsessive about the screen. I create a clean room environment when I need to apply a new screen protector (and I replace them every 6 months or so), so that not one speck of dust gets trapped underneath, and I make my kids wash their hands before I let them touch my PB. I've seen too much gross residue on other people's tablets and phones.
    12-07-11 04:38 PM
    Yes always have the micro fibre close to hand. Always protect the screen from new. It's the first purchase. I hate to see smudges on my screen.
    12-07-11 04:41 PM
    I'm actually horrified that people don't clean the screens. I saw a friends NookColor and it was so disgusting from all the smudges and dirt with NO screen protector. That irked me.
    12-07-11 05:22 PM
    I'm not that OCD about it, I just wipe it down once a day with the microfiber cloth RIM provides with the PB.

Screens look especially bad when the person using them has palmar hyperhidrosis (clammy hands) and doesn't clean their screen often or at all. From certain views their screen can look like it has a coat of icing on it. That's the real nasty stuff. Luckily for me I have dry hands.
    Last edited by Megacharge; 12-07-11 at 05:51 PM.
    12-07-11 05:44 PM
    I use to be like that when I first got my PB. Now I clean the screen first thing in the morning then just use throughout the day.
    12-07-11 06:40 PM
    Who needs a camera with the graphic images provided by the texts in this thread!!!
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    12-07-11 06:46 PM
    Heck you clean it and it's smudged in no time again. Do you all clean it more than use it? Once a day.
    12-07-11 06:58 PM
    I hate having a filthy screen. I try to keep it as clean as possible, but it is a never ending task. One way to keep the screen cleaner longer is to use a stylus whenever possible.
    12-07-11 07:02 PM
    Its horrible. I make eyeglasses for a living, so I find myself cleaning it while I use it sometimes... waiting for a large site to load over the bridge... wipe the screen... waiting for an app to load... wipe the screen.
    balth likes this.
    12-07-11 10:10 PM
    Here's how bad I am. I swore I would never, ever, own any touchscreen device due to my aversion to touching screens at ALL! LOL I hate people touching my computer screens. Why is it that people feel the need to touch a computer screen while pointing to something on it? Needless to say, I now own a PB and a 9930, so I keep my screen meticulous.
    12-07-11 10:23 PM
    i keep my microfiber cloth in the stock case it comes with so its always handy.

i had a fingerprint smudge protector on for a bit but people asked me if it was the plastic it came with and I kept it on. It Had a grey veneer on it so I ended up taking it off. Prior to this it never looked so bad. Notice the native playbook glass holds onto finger grease super bad.

Im a window cleaner and I notice some glass holds onto prints worse than others. Some stores worse than others when cleaning freezers. You would be surprised the amount of junk on peoples hands naturally. It all comes off on the glass when they shopping for food.

My dream for playbook v2 would be glass anti-glare which I guess is out there
    Glare-free

Also to have privacy glass which only allows you to see the contents of the screen from one angle.

And of course fingerprint free glass. Wondering when they will invent this
    12-07-11 11:47 PM
    I normally clean it just at night when I put it on charge - but then I am a frequent hand washer!
    12-07-11 11:57 PM
    has ocd
    buys playbook
    goes insane from always cleaning screen and examining the device for damage or defects

has ocd
    buys bold 9900
    goes insane from always wiping off fingerprints and examinig the device for damage or defects

has ocd
    has ocd
    has ocd
    has ocd
    Fruitini and Lhendr like this.
    12-08-11 12:32 AM
    Here's how bad I am. I swore I would never, ever, own any touchscreen device due to my aversion to touching screens at ALL! LOL I hate people touching my computer screens. Why is it that people feel the need to touch a computer screen while pointing to something on it? Needless to say, I now own a PB and a 9930, so I keep my screen meticulous.
    YES! my pet peeve. Cant stand a dirty monitor or dirty eyeglasses. I used to wipe down my PlayBook and iPhone screens constantly, but now I just do it once a day with a small microfibre towel.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-08-11 12:39 AM
    Ha ha not only with my own devices but with others too and not just the screen, for instance if they chuck there mobile on the side, that anoys me or just the general state of other peoples new devices....
    12-08-11 01:48 AM
    I don't allow people to use my electronic devices while they're eating. It horrifies me how people will eat food (especially something greasy like burgers and other fried foods) and then while eating or right after, start using their phones, video game consoles, etc etc. An old roommate of mine got some kind of grease all over my PS3 controller and it took forever to clean off.

I don't really have OCD (at least I don't think I do lol), but it just bugs me how people don't wash their hands before or after eating, and then start touching expensive electronic devices. I wipe my screen down a couple of times a day, although I don't ever use a touchscreen long enough to actually make it super dirty lol.

For those of you who are OCD and don't want to worry about cleaning the screen as much, consider getting a stylus. I got one on sale for $5 during Black Friday at Best Buy (and don't ever pay much more than $5-$10 for those generic ones, they're all the same) and it does come in handy every once in a while.
    12-08-11 03:35 AM
    I'm so glad that other people are the same as me when it comes to cleaning my pb and my 9860.

I think I have OCD especially when I clean my screens several times a day. I think I clean the screen before each time I use it, and clean it again after I've finished.

This is how sad I am, I will go to bed to watch a movie on pb but clean the screen first. I will watch the movie, and then just before I go to sleep, I clean the screen again before putting it away in its case.

Im exactly the same with my 9860. Im forever cleaning the screen. It does drive me nuts but I just cant help it. If I see a speck of dust, it drives me insane lol.

ok, I will go and hide somewhere now.
    12-08-11 03:58 AM
    I'm so glad that other people are the same as me when it comes to cleaning my pb and my 9860.

I think I have OCD especially when I clean my screens several times a day. I think I clean the screen before each time I use it, and clean it again after I've finished.

This is how sad I am, I will go to bed to watch a movie on pb but clean the screen first. I will watch the movie, and then just before I go to sleep, I clean the screen again before putting it away in its case.

Im exactly the same with my 9860. Im forever cleaning the screen. It does drive me nuts but I just cant help it. If I see a speck of dust, it drives me insane lol.

ok, I will go and hide somewhere now.
    Yep. I am always cleaning my Playbook screen... takes seconds but well worth it. It's too beautiful to leave smudgy. I find when it's on you usually can't see smudges, but as soon as the screen is off I see them (no matter how often I wash my hands - and I don't have clammy hands either). I also sometimes spray little lens/sunglasses cleaner on the microfibre (not directly on the screen) and that helps too. Or I blow on the screen to create moisture(much like what you'd do to warm up your hands on a cold day) and I find that better than just using the microfibre cloth alone. If it's obesssive, so be it.... I have to clean it.

I might add I have a screen protector on my 9900 but I still clean the key board and screen. I used to clean my iPod Touch all the time... but since I put the screen protector on it I never bother - I only use it for music. The protector now looks quite marked (I use my iPod Touch a lot) so I'm thinking of taking it off. My husband never cleans his iphone screen. He's getting a Playbook soon to use as an ebook reader and it'll be interesting to see whether he starts with the screen cleaning... I will probably be unable to stop myself grabbing it and cleaning it for him if he doesn't.
    12-08-11 09:54 AM
    no problem! be the first on your block:

free exam included.
    12-08-11 01:35 PM
    no problem! be the first on your block:

Click to view quoted image

free exam included.
    LOL that cracked me up. I wonder if they come in different colours haha
    12-08-11 01:38 PM
    I'm not OCD, but the conditions of other peoples touch screen are disgusting.
    12-08-11 02:10 PM
    I am always cleaning my touchscreen, but there is no way I can possibly wash my hands before every time I use my device. Might as well always wear gloves at that point.
    12-08-11 02:15 PM
    Why is it that people feel the need to touch a computer screen while pointing to something on it?
    Yes! Or, sometimes they'll put a finger on their mouth while they're thinking and then point and touch the monitor.

I wipe down my PlayBook and BB at the end of the day. I probably wipe my BB more as my face moisturizer just loves to cling to my phone's screen.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-08-11 04:14 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD