May I suggest that instead of wishing for a Kindle (or Skype) app for the Playbook, everyone on this Forum make their wishes known by contacting customer service.

Here is a link for Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...bUvbUpU6993644

Maybe a spike in requests from Playbook owners will be the "fire" Amazon needs to get off its bum and do the right thing!

I have sent in my feedback already. Now its your turn
    01-03-12 08:15 AM
    I believe the issue with having a Kindle app on the Playbook would be that they (Amazon) would get the 30% cut in app sales if you use the app; where's the benefit for RIM? I understand there's a mutually acceptable and beneficial profit sharing agreement between Kobo and RIM, the particulars of which I am not privy to, but I don't see Amazon leaning in that direction. I know that some platforms have removed Apple apps because using them led straight to Apple getting the 30% cut, and the platform getting none.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-03-12 08:25 AM
    I did as requested and sent a request to Amazon for an app for the playbook. (although I use the cloud reader, and find it works just great!)
    bourgolo likes this.
    01-03-12 08:33 AM
    Done. I chose the Other and Feedback option. Sent an email, gave them some rough details on options and linked to BlackBerry - Tablet OS - Calling All Apps for the BlackBerry Tablet OS
    bourgolo likes this.
    01-03-12 08:55 AM
    ; where's the benefit for RIM?
    RIM need to do everything that they can to build an ecosystem that entices buyers to the platform.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    01-03-12 08:57 AM
    RIM need to do everything that they can to build an ecosystem that entices buyers to the platform.

....and they don't need Amazon for that.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-03-12 08:58 AM
    They actually need whatever they can get at the moment. You can't dictate terms if you're not in the game.

....and they don't need Amazon for that.

azrin640 likes this.
    01-03-12 09:00 AM
    I believe the issue with having a Kindle app on the Playbook would be that they (Amazon) would get the 30% cut in app sales if you use the app; where's the benefit for RIM? I understand there's a mutually acceptable and beneficial profit sharing agreement between Kobo and RIM, the particulars of which I am not privy to, but I don't see Amazon leaning in that direction. I know that some platforms have removed Apple apps because using them led straight to Apple getting the 30% cut, and the platform getting none.
    RIM's benefit would be more users. You know, the same benefit Apple gets from the Kindle app, which doesn't support in-app purchasing and thus doesn't funnel any revenue towards Apple outside of encouraging hardware sales.
    01-03-12 09:17 AM
    RIM's benefit would be more users. You know, the same benefit Apple gets from the Kindle app, which doesn't support in-app purchasing and thus doesn't funnel any revenue towards Apple outside of encouraging hardware sales.
    Bingo..

RIM isn't exactly in the position where it can turn down anything.
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    01-03-12 09:19 AM
    Automated response (didn't expect otherwise).
    Hello,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused in this regard.

Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook is not yet available, but stay tuned. You can view our Kindle apps currently available and discover when we’ve released Kindle for BlackBerry Playbook by following the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/kindleapps?t=c...bUvbUpU6993846

We're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience. I've forwarded your suggestions to our Kindle Development Team.

It is always important for us to hear how customers react to all aspects. Customer feedback like yours really helps us continue to improve our store and provide better service to our customers. Thanks for taking time to offer us your thoughts.

Thanks for your interest in Kindle.
    01-03-12 09:25 AM
    Message sent. It may be valuable to mention that Kobo has a native app and that in the absence of a Kindle app, you have been purchasing Kobo books.
    bourgolo likes this.
    01-03-12 09:32 AM
    We have been buying Kindle books for the kid to read on his BlackBerry phone, so when I told them that we'd really like to be able to use it on the PlayBook, it wasn't without merit. I've tried to avoid also using the Kobo one just because I'd rather they all be in one place. Maybe we'll get something official after OS2.
    01-03-12 10:13 AM
    May I suggest that instead of wishing for a Kindle (or Skype) app for the Playbook, everyone on this Forum make their wishes known by contacting customer service.

Here is a link for Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/conta...bUvbUpU6993982

Maybe a spike in requests from Playbook owners will be the "fire" Amazon needs to get off its bum and do the right thing!

I have sent in my feedback already. Now its your turn
    I can walk the approximately 2 miles to their offices from my house!!!! Give me a picket sign!
    01-03-12 10:14 AM
    I can walk the approximately 2 miles to their offices from my house!!!! Give me a picket sign!

Wait! What?!?
    01-03-12 10:42 AM
    FYI many playbook users have sent emails to amazon and that response up there is like generic, i have had a couple of those. My advise for anyone desperate for kindle on their pb, OS2 beta. Works great! Cloud experience? Not close! Kobo? Forget it!
    mpcook likes this.
    01-03-12 12:10 PM
    Cloud reader works fine as long as you pin the book to the device for offline reading then disconnect the wifi however you can't close the browser and truly read off line. If you pin a book and have to go into airplane mode for travel, no way you can reopen the Cloud Reader to read offline...unless I am totally missing something.
    01-03-12 06:25 PM
    I use Kobo.
    01-03-12 06:59 PM
    I use Kobo.
    I use Kobo as well and its okay. However, the PB platform benefits when there are as many options as possible.
    01-03-12 07:06 PM
    OS2 Beta and the Ported Kindle did me through all 5 books of Song or Ice and Fire.
    01-03-12 08:49 PM
    I sent a request, I had to share the reply.

"Hello,

I understand that you'd like to have the kindle app for your Playbook.

Currently we're only having the app. But, I understand that this feature would
    have made our Kindle more efficient and convenient to use.

This is for the first time we�ve ever received a request for a feature like this
    and we're glad you took time to write to us. I�ve forwarded your suggestion to
    our Development team, they�ll coordinate with our technology teams and work hard
    to implement this feature as we plan our future improvements.

It is always important for us to hear how customers react to all aspects. Your
    feedback will help us to improve the selection and service we provide and we're
    glad you took time to write to us.

We'll honor your commitment by continuing to provide the quality product
    availability and support you expect for your Kindle.

Thanks for your interest in Kindle. We look forward to assist you soon.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem? "
    01-04-12 01:52 PM
    That seems remarkably made up and poorly worded. Just my observation.

I sent a request, I had to share the reply.

"Hello,

I understand that you'd like to have the kindle app for your Playbook.

Currently we're only having the app. But, I understand that this feature would
    have made our Kindle more efficient and convenient to use.

This is for the first time we�ve ever received a request for a feature like this
    and we're glad you took time to write to us. I�ve forwarded your suggestion to
    our Development team, they�ll coordinate with our technology teams and work hard
    to implement this feature as we plan our future improvements.

It is always important for us to hear how customers react to all aspects. Your
    feedback will help us to improve the selection and service we provide and we're
    glad you took time to write to us.

We'll honor your commitment by continuing to provide the quality product
    availability and support you expect for your Kindle.

Thanks for your interest in Kindle. We look forward to assist you soon.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem? "
    01-04-12 01:55 PM
    Request sent!
    bourgolo likes this.
    01-04-12 02:08 PM
    I though so too. First request?
    01-04-12 02:14 PM
    I know a little bit about the Kindle app. The way it is written, a port to PB would actually be pretty straightforward. Keep those requests going!
    bourgolo likes this.
    01-04-12 02:22 PM
    I sent a request three days ago and received a response back as well.
    bourgolo likes this.
    01-04-12 03:30 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD