I use Docs to Go almost on a daily basis to open Excel files. However on occasions it looks as though its going to open the file then disappears to the home screen. From that point on I cannot open any other Excel files until I reboot the PB. It's as though the file has been opened but I cannot see it. It seems to do this more frequently if I open the file using the Box app. Does anyone know of a solution other than a reboot?
    03-19-14 06:42 AM
    The exit to home means the app crashed, and as you say it wont work until you reboot, then it must be a really bad crash.
    Does the app crash on a particular version of an excel file, as in for example one made with Office/Excel 2007 or Office/Excel 2003 or such, or is it random?
    If it crashes on excel file "A", will it again crash on the same file if you try to open it after a reboot?

If it is completely random, I would try to remove and reinstall the Doc to Go app fresh.
    03-19-14 06:51 AM
    The file was created using Excel 97. Its not a complicated spreadsheet and it normally opens and I can edit it without issue, but since I have been using Box to store files in the cloud it has become more common for it to crash.
    03-19-14 07:09 AM
    OK, so it is one file?
    If so, use a PC version of Excel to open, make a small data change (say change the data in one cell or such), and Save As a new spreadsheet with the same file name but add a "A" at the end (Like sheetA.xls) and close Excel.
    Then re-open the new version you created, using the same PC, undo the small data change, and save. You should now have two version of the file.
    Do not upload to Box at this time.
    Now use that file in Docs to Go several times to see if it still crashes, if it seems better then upload the "A" version file to Box.
    Now in the Box cloud, you should have the two version of the file.
    Next, try to open the Box "A" file in Doc to Go several times to see if it crashes. If it does do:
    • Download the BOX version A file back to the PC, save as "B" (like SheetB.xls)
    • Right click the file "B" and choose Properties, observe the Size and Size on Disk values
    • Compare to the File A Size and Size on Disk, they should be 100% the same.

If they are not, then there is something happening in the cloud to change the file, maybe Doc to Go doesn't like that change.
    03-19-14 07:35 AM
    Thanks for you help, I will give it a try. I have also had the same file crash without opening it via Box but the crashes were months apart whereas opening via Box has crashed it about three times in the last couple of weeks. Do you think creating the file using an old version of Excel could have something to do with this problem? I have MS Office 2010 on another PC so could update it with that.
    03-19-14 08:52 AM
    had the same issue with box. changed to one drive and problem solved for everything. one drive is owned by microsoft as well as your other applications. try it you will be pleased
    03-19-14 09:01 AM
    Excel has a good history of being backward compatible, as in older sheets can be opened with newer versions of Excel. No the same the other way.
    Docs to Go can handle up to and including Office 2010 last I check.
    03-19-14 10:27 AM
    Make sure there are no macros or external links, and no advanced functions. Docs to go is 1/4 baked at best and is useless as a Spreadhseet tool unless using for basic presentations only.
    03-19-14 11:13 AM
    No external links or macros, it's a fairly basic spreadsheet to keep track of expenses. I might try one drive as Cobra 16 has suggested, but in the meantime I'm opening the file with Docs to Go rather than Box and just upload the newer version when necessary.

Thanks for all your replies.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    03-20-14 03:27 AM
    There is a forum on here with a sideload of Docs to Go that has significantly more functionality. It is an android sideload but it is 110% better than the stock Docs to Go on PB.
    03-20-14 05:05 PM
    Search "My favorite Android Apps that work on Playbook OS 2.0" in the forums. Android Version which works much better. Or try Kingsoft from eReader. Both need sideloads.
    03-20-14 05:11 PM