Hi guys... I have a playbook which has a dead battery ( 0% charge ). I hadnt charged it for like 3 months. So I tried to update it using blackberry device manager as many websites had recommended. But after 98% completion, I had a message saying ," The device loader could not connect to your device. Please enter your password". However, my playbook had no password and I couldnt do anything since the damn thing had no charge. I guess the OS got corrupted from this.

Then I decided to open the playbook and jumpstart it. After about 45 mins of 5V 1A charge, it booted; but the logo appeared for about 30 sec and then rebooted, after about another 30 sec, the screen became black. The screen is still lit but black. Now I cant update the playbook as I keep getting that error and AppLoader says it cant update the playbook.
    Please help.

P.S. I dont have warranty. RIM support sucks in my country. There is charge in my PB.
    04-06-14 10:55 PM
    Fully charge Playbook with the charger...then try again.
    Hi guys... I have a playbook which has a dead battery ( 0% charge ). I hadnt charged it for like 3 months. So I tried to update it using blackberry device manager as many websites had recommended. But after 98% completion, I had a message saying ," The device loader could not connect to your device. Please enter your password". However, my playbook had no password and I couldnt do anything since the damn thing had no charge. I guess the OS got corrupted from this.

Then I decided to open the playbook and jumpstart it. After about 45 mins of 5V 1A charge, it booted; but the logo appeared for about 30 sec and then rebooted, after about another 30 sec, the screen became black. The screen is still lit but black. Now I cant update the playbook as I keep getting that error and AppLoader says it cant update the playbook.
    Please help.

P.S. I dont have warranty. RIM support sucks in my country. There is charge in my PB.
    04-07-14 12:38 AM
    So I went to the BB centre and they said the battery was completely dead and that i would have to pay 100$ for a new one. But when i went home, I checked with the multimeter and it showed a reading of 3.3V. So i jumpstarted it to 3.77V and reconnected everything. Now, the red light occasionally blinks when I press power+volume up+volume down. Also, there is the black screen of death instead of the boot screen. So im guessing that the software is completely corrupted and the thing is just NUKED. Blackberry is a piece of ****; they screw up the circuitry design and then expect the consumers to bear the brunt. Also their **** advice about trying the 'update the OS when the charge is 0%' ; its because I tried this that the damn thing wont work anymore; plus the batteries are fine... they were giving a constant 3.77V . I hate blackberry!!! cant believe I paid 400$ for this ****. Gonna buy an iPad.... Anybody want to see a durability test of the PB ??
    04-09-14 08:14 AM
    Just FYI, the PlayBook wont boot or do ANYTHING with it's software until the charge is at least 20% if your coming from a cold boot. Be patient, you need to plug the PB in with the charger supplied as this feeds enough juice and let it fully re-charge.

If you have a software issue, deal with that afterwards. Leave the PB off, charging overnight. It will display a green/red colour light when it's off and juicing. If that doesn't happen, and the device is getting on a bit, you may just simply need a new battery.

They are a lot less than $100 too. I quickly hit up Google and found numerous listings between 30-40 max. Just saying. :-)
    Carl Estes likes this.
    04-09-14 09:23 AM
    Then I decided to open the playbook and jumpstart it. After about 45 mins of 5V 1A charge.
    And you did what now? It took me time to clarify specs when I posted earlier, but...

...The PlayBook battery is rated for a maximum 3.7v. You may have caused some damage as a result of not charging the device using the USB/Magnetic charge port (as internal circuitry will ensure safe voltage and amperage - which you bypassed). Over voltage can and does damage many electrical components in computing devices, even if it's just by a small amount.
    04-09-14 03:44 PM
    dear geekl33tgamer, if you have ever seen a playbook battery, it is rated for a 4.2 V ~5000mA rating. Anyways, gonna junk this thing in about a week if it doesnot work. All thats happening now is that it boots with the playbook startup screen till it becomes orange and then the screen becomes dark(extremely dim-lit and on). I have spent hours on trying every debrick method I can find, but the nothing works. Hope Blackberry dissolves itself....
    04-10-14 03:43 AM
    Well, like you your playbook must be very special. The battery in mine says 3.7v, 5400mAh, 19.98Wh. Backs up the technical documents I was reading yesterday.

Like I said above, you have a hardware problem first. Take a pragmatic approach as suggested and try and fix it before your apparent rage gives you a heart attack.

Again, just saying... :-D
    04-10-14 06:39 AM
    Sorry, I didnt mean to be bashful. My PB says 3.7V+ on one side and on the other 4.2 V, 5400 mA(i think) .I really like the playbook but its soo pissing off that you pay a load of cash to get this and a simple problem destroys the whole experience. Also, misinforming customers by the company (updating the PB when battery at 0%) and then getting asked to pay for their mistake.... Anyway any chance you guys know how to fix the prob regarding my observation( booting )???
    04-10-14 10:44 AM
    Battery on PB charges to 4.2 volts and discharges to about 3.53 volts before the PB circuit hollers enough and wants to shut down. Discharge below this voltage can be done but recharging is difficult. Charging above 4.2 volts is dangerous because at about 4.27 volts lithium metal can form and the battery may catch on fire or even explode. The 3.7 volts stated in the spec is merely an average on the discharge curve. Actual voltages reported on the PB LiPo battery can depend on current flow. The battery must be left at a minimum flow for a considerable period of time before reaching the true voltage. Best lifetime may be obtained by operating between about 20 and 80 % charge and at temperatures ( non-condensing) in the range of 20 degrees C. Certainly avoid ambient temperatures above 40 C as much as possible for operation or storage.
    04-10-14 06:51 PM
    Your problem is not a problem.

This is s good sign to throw that sh*t away and get a more useful tablet.

The PlayBook can literally do.nothing. People are all like, it's good enough to play videos and and as an alarm clock so it's good enough for me . Well for a similar price you can get that plus soooo much more with other tablets.

I know this doesn't answer ur question and will probably be deleted. But just stop wasting your time in the PlayBook. In fact, you care more about it than blackberry does.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 02:08 PM