If you have been on the fence, waiting for the price drops to bottom out I feel we have hit that point. I ran to the local retailers here in Charlottesville VA last night and they are all out. I had an employee check stock for a 100 mile radius and stock levels are down to a display model only (one 16gb per store). This tells me a few things:
    1. Retailers (Staples, Office Depot) have raised the price to original price points because they are not getting any more in.
    2. You'll need to order from the Blackberry website (or others) as the current stock is down to what's basically left at RIMM.
    3. The 2.0 update is running very well and those inside RIMM are confident it is ready which is additionally proven by the deadline for the price reduction sale date being shortened because after 2.0 is released and is running well, demand will pick up even further and they can charge a little more.
    The issue is RIMM finding the right price point. Whatever that is, it's pretty certain, you won't be able to buy a 64gb for $299 so pull out the credit card NOW because the window is closing.
    Enjoy your playbook everyone!
    cafemag likes this.
    01-22-12 09:07 AM
    yeah i think people should def be picking up thier 64GB now at this great pricepoint.
    after the sale i believe RIM will be pricing them at $499 with the 16Gb staying at 299.
    01-22-12 09:13 AM
    The PlayBook is sweet and getting better. At current prices its a no brainer. BUY people you WONT be disapointed !!
    01-22-12 09:17 AM
    I think the real question is, does RIM have more PBs rolling off the production line. I've not seen any info on this. And, if they do, is it the same hardware or is it something new. I've read all of the rumors about 3G and 10" versions, but I have no interest in those.

I think RIM will have a hard time raising the price on the current hardware, even with os2. But, that's not to say they won't.
    01-22-12 09:51 AM
    If you have been on the fence, waiting for the price drops to bottom out I feel we have hit that point. I ran to the local retailers here in Charlottesville VA last night and they are all out. I had an employee check stock for a 100 mile radius and stock levels are down to a display model only (one 16gb per store). This tells me a few things:
    1. Retailers (Staples, Office Depot) have raised the price to original price points because they are not getting any more in.
    2. You'll need to order from the Blackberry website (or others) as the current stock is down to what's basically left at RIMM.
    3. The 2.0 update is running very well and those inside RIMM are confident it is ready which is additionally proven by the deadline for the price reduction sale date being shortened because after 2.0 is released and is running well, demand will pick up even further and they can charge a little more.
    The issue is RIMM finding the right price point. Whatever that is, it's pretty certain, you won't be able to buy a 64gb for $299 so pull out the credit card NOW because the window is closing.
    Enjoy your playbook everyone!
    1.) I have not seen any of the retailers listed raise the prices back to pre-sale levels? Where have you noticed that?

2.) Best Buy has restocked and most stores here in the city have them in stock. Maybe you can check out Best Buy.

3.) 2.0 that's out there is a Beta. Full working version won't be released until end of Feb.
    01-22-12 09:53 AM
    I think the real question is, does RIM have more PBs rolling off the production line. I've not seen any info on this. And, if they do, is it the same hardware or is it something new. I've read all of the rumors about 3G and 10" versions, but I have no interest in those.

I think RIM will have a hard time raising the price on the current hardware, even with os2. But, that's not to say they won't.
    If they raise prices back to the pre-sale levels, the product will be dead in the water. At least here in the states.
    pipotobe and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    01-22-12 09:55 AM
    current model 16gb 249, 32gb 299, 64gb 349. Running os2 will sell imo.
    New hardware might get a small price increase. They should start to sell phone, PB packages around the world once RIM has the story complete and clear. I can see the sales pitch!
    Lyls and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-22-12 09:58 AM
    1.) I have not seen any of the retailers listed raise the prices back to pre-sale levels? Where have you noticed that?

2.) Best Buy has restocked and most stores here in the city have them in stock. Maybe you can check out Best Buy.

3.) 2.0 that's out there is a Beta. Full working version won't be released until end of Feb.
    Whatever happend to Bestbuy not selling the PB anymore, just more hater BS I guess. theres a lot of that.
    01-22-12 10:01 AM
    If they raise prices back to the pre-sale levels, the product will be dead in the water. At least here in the states.
    I agree 100%. Same here in Canada. The refurbished playbook are staying on the shelf...

I'm still on the fence about buying a playbook. I'm going to wait for that 2.0 os before making that purchase. If the prices go up. Ill buy something else with my money.
    01-22-12 10:04 AM
    Best Buy shows refurb 64g for $219!!
    01-22-12 10:05 AM
    Whatever happend to Bestbuy not selling the PB anymore, just more hater BS I guess. theres a lot of that.
    I don't think it's hating. I believe it's misinformation. I have 2PBs and when I was running around the city with friends, each Best Buy I stopped in had removed the displays and said they were no longer selling them.

I actually picked up two more on Craigslist since and have not paid more than $220. Even for a 32gb model.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-22-12 10:07 AM
    I agree 100%. Same here in Canada. The refurbished playbook are staying on the shelf...

I'm still on the fence about buying a playbook. I'm going to wait for that 2.0 os before making that purchase. If the prices go up. Ill buy something else with my money.
    I wouldn't pay more than $275 for any of the models. Not with Craigslist and eBay around. Not yet at least.

I don't use a BB phone and many things, like checking emails, feel like an extra step. I'm seriously waiting for the official 2.0 release to see how the experience for non-bb phone users changes.
    01-22-12 10:12 AM
    It's hard to imagine RIM returning to the MSRP after this sale. I think this one will be followed by another and perhaps prices will fall even more--perhaps $199 for the 32GB? Who knows. This last sale was kinda quirky and unpredictable at $299 *regardless* of capacity--I think the execs at RIM have lost their minds a little.

Once the current stock of Playbook parts and inventory is exhausted I'm guessing it will be discontinued. Maybe there will be a new model at some point though.
    01-22-12 10:19 AM
    It's getting close to February and it seems like RIM will use OS2 to 'relaunch' the playbook.

I don't work at BestBuy but when I visit the store and talk with salespeople it seems like they barely have a clue about what comes and goes in that store. Some D-bags at BestBuy are speculating the pb won't be sold again because they're probably Apple users and could care less about BB products
    01-22-12 10:23 AM
    ...This last sale was kinda quirky and unpredictable at $299 *regardless* of capacity--I think the execs at RIM have lost their minds a little.

Once the current stock of Playbook parts and inventory is exhausted I'm guessing it will be discontinued...
    1. Last Sale - you are spot on co-CEOs and friends sure made a mess of that plan!
    2. Playbook - can't see it being discontinued, after effort on OS2 and video store...
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-22-12 10:24 AM
    The local Best Buy doesn't even display the Playbook. Staples and Office Depot are at $699 for the 64gb. Go to a store or online and check it out. What I'm trying to get across is if you can purchase a NEW, 64gb unit from Blackberry for $299, now, or in the next 10 days or so, is the time to do it OR continue to wait and see how the story unfolds after the update. There is always a choice.
    01-22-12 10:27 AM
    One of the local Best Buys has a lot of them. The display use to be in the isle, last tablet on the display. Now it is an end cap with Two display models. One of them is running the demo video. I was surprised.

James
    01-22-12 10:30 AM
    The local Best Buy doesn't even display the Playbook. Staples and Office Depot are at $699 for the 64gb. Go to a store or online and check it out. What I'm trying to get across is if you can purchase a NEW, 64gb unit from Blackberry for $299, now, or in the next 10 days or so, is the time to do it OR continue to wait and see how the story unfolds after the update. There is always a choice.
    It could be priced wrong. When my wife picked up mine for me she almost didn't it because Walmart had the $499 price tag on it. That was in December.

James
    01-22-12 10:34 AM
    Wishful thinking! In a perfect world with little or no competition RIM could raise the price above $299. Consider that the new iPad 3 is coming out next month and the iPad 2 price may drop to $299. The Playbook was supposed to be a competitor to the iPad 2 so if it happens, trying to sell a PB above $299 would be futile in my opinion. The iPad has developed a brand loyalty that the PB can only dream about.

I bought my PB at $199 and I think it still is a good value at that price once OS 2.0 gets here.
    01-22-12 10:39 AM
    Some D-bags at BestBuy are speculating the pb won't be sold again because they're probably Apple users and could care less about BB products
    But why are people D-Bags? So what if someone uses Apple. I use Apple. I'm not a D-Bag.

Keep some of it to yourself bro.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-22-12 11:00 AM
    It's hard to imagine RIM returning to the MSRP after this sale. I think this one will be followed by another and perhaps prices will fall even more--perhaps $199 for the 32GB? Who knows. This last sale was kinda quirky and unpredictable at $299 *regardless* of capacity--I think the execs at RIM have lost their minds a little.

Once the current stock of Playbook parts and inventory is exhausted I'm guessing it will be discontinued. Maybe there will be a new model at some point though.
    It is even more doubtfull that RIM will discontinue the PB than it is that they will return to the original msrp (which is quite doubtfull). The PB and BB10 phones are RIM's future. There really is no going back.
    01-22-12 11:20 AM
    It is even more doubtfull that RIM will discontinue the PB than it is that they will return to the original msrp (which is quite doubtfull). The PB and BB10 phones are RIM's future. There really is no going back.
    What I meant to say is that it could be possible that RIM would discontinue this *version* of the Playbook. I don't believe they are ready to abandon the whole platform altogether at this point.

It's anyone's guess and I'm just speculating like everyone else, but I believe that a 60% discount on current generation hardware is a sign of instability. It's a strategy that just might pay off though--you gotta take big risks when you are in a position like RIM is in right now.
    01-22-12 12:23 PM
    What I meant to say is that it could be possible that RIM would discontinue this *version* of the Playbook. I don't believe they are ready to abandon the whole platform altogether at this point.

It's anyone's guess and I'm just speculating like everyone else, but I believe that a 60% discount on current generation hardware is a sign of instability. It's a strategy that just might pay off though--you gotta take big risks when you are in a position like RIM is in right now.
    Duly noted. As I said before, the real question is what RIM will do hardware wise. I think it would be a mistake to discontinue the wifi only version. That's not to say they shouldn't add improvements to it, but as is, I don't think they will have much luck raising the price of the current hardware much more than it is right now.
    01-22-12 12:38 PM
    But why are people D-Bags? So what if someone uses Apple. I use Apple. I'm not a D-Bag.

Keep some of it to yourself bro.

I'm not saying Apple users are D-bags, my desktop is a mac mini running lion, I mean some of the sales people at BestBuy would rather tell a customer the pb is cancelled instead of saying 'I don't know'

In the BestBuys I go to they have a large selection of iPhone/iPad 'junk' and a small BB section for accessories, this probably leads to a majority of the people working there being Apple (ab)users
    01-22-12 12:55 PM
    I'm not saying Apple users are D-bags, my desktop is a mac mini running lion, I mean some of the sales people at BestBuy would rather tell a customer the pb is cancelled instead of saying 'I don't know'

In the BestBuys I go to they have a large selection of iPhone/iPad 'junk' and a small BB section for accessories, this probably leads to a majority of the people working there being Apple (ab)users
    They are most likely just give customers the same (mis)information they've been told. Doesn't make them d-bags in the slightest. Or they could have misunderstood. I'm a fragrance junkie and I know a LOT of store reps have been told their store would no longer be carrying a certain fragrance, and they misunderstand that to mean that it's being discontinued. Again, doesn't make them d-bags.
    01-22-12 01:58 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD