I have an urgent need to make notes then store them in my PB folders on homepage. Really appreciate any tips on how to do this. I guess I could create a link in dropbox and save it to the playbook but isn't there a more direct way? Thanks
    03-04-13 07:19 PM
    I'm not sure I follow. You want TEXT (txt) files?

The Browser can open plain xxx.txt files and then you can create Homepage Bookmarks to those links.

The easiest way I can post a how-to at this moment

In the Browser address bar enter

file:///

You will wind up in the Folder: accounts, navigate downward 1000, shared, folder-where-you-placed-txt-file. Find it and click on that file. It will open. Save a homepage bookmark.
    nappp likes this.
    03-04-13 09:45 PM
    Okay thanks F2. I also can gmail myself a note, save it to the home screen and then put it in any folder I want. Easy enough.
    03-04-13 09:53 PM
    I also can gmail myself a note, save it to the home screen and then put it in any folder I want. Easy enough.
    OK. I'll bite. Exactly how do you do this, i.e., save an email to the homescreen?
    03-04-13 10:04 PM
    maybe he means a browser link to the email he brought up using the web browser. I like f2's idea better. I think some either don't know or forget that the browser is actually a quick file browser too
    03-04-13 10:16 PM
    Nah. That doesn't work, at least with Yahoo. I can't bookmark an individual message- the bookmark simply takes me to my Yahoo inbox.
    03-04-13 10:29 PM
    You need to create an xxx.txt file and place it somewhere on your pb and then link to it. But I may have misunderstood - if you want an 'email folder' link that probably won't work as indicated by pacoman.
    03-04-13 11:50 PM
    OK. I'll bite. Exactly how do you do this, i.e., save an email to the homescreen?
    Maybe the poster means saving an ATTACHMENT xxx.txt file???
    03-04-13 11:51 PM
    Maybe the poster means saving an ATTACHMENT xxx.txt file???
    I still don't see how you can link a shortcut to the attachment. Anyhow, one easy way to use your method of opening text files with the browser (and then bookmarking the file) is to use Ghost Commander. Just navigate to the txt.file in Ghost, then press and hold on the file, and from the pop up menu, scroll down and choose "copy name to clipboard". You can then paste this into the browsers address bar and hit go and voila. Saves a bit of typing.
    FF22 and nappp like this.
    03-05-13 12:12 AM
    I got some time on my hands, so I decided to see what other kinds of files could be opened with the browser and bookmarked to the home screen. So far, besides txt files, I've got html files, mp4 vids, wmv vids, mp3 audio, jpg files, and vcf files (basically a text file). Anyone know of any others?
    FF22 and nappp like this.
    03-05-13 12:41 AM
    I know you can't link to pdf files - such links only open the adobe pdf app.
    03-05-13 08:38 AM
    Had no idea that the browser can be user as a file browser. Excellent!
    03-05-13 10:16 AM
    Just opened an EXCEL, xls file using the browser and now a xxx.docx file and add to that an xxx.doc file. xlsx files

Okay, also a ppt and pps file. Add potx file. csv file, too
    03-05-13 10:34 AM
    I think xls, doc, and ppt files are like pdf files. They can be opened through the browser, but not by the browser. They get sent out to Docs to Go. Thus they can't be bookmarked to the home screen. CSV files are opened by the browser and can be bookmarked.
    03-05-13 11:29 AM
    I think xls, doc, and ppt files are like pdf files. They can be opened through the browser, but not by the browser. They get sent out to Docs to Go. Thus they can't be bookmarked to the home screen. CSV files are opened by the browser and can be bookmarked.
    Oh, you're right - they launch the app which opens the file.
    03-05-13 11:57 AM
    Thank you, I now have several ways to save notes to my home screen folders. One I came up with is to write something in my gmail account, take a snapshot of it, go to browser to find the file and save it to home screen in whatever folder suits me. Very handy because I need a larger font size than most text editors can manage.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-06-13 07:05 AM