I was wondering how effective is note-taking on the Playbook? I'm a college student and typing/saving notes would be so much easier, but I don't want to carry around my laptop all day long. Would the Playbook be a lot easier to take notes during lectures? I like the small tablet size and would prefer that over a laptop, but how helpful is the Playbook when it comes to typing or using a stylus to write them?
    01-17-12 07:34 PM
    I was wondering how effective is note-taking on the Playbook? I'm a college student and typing/saving notes would be so much easier, but I don't want to carry around my laptop all day long. Would the Playbook be a lot easier to take notes during lectures? I like the small tablet size and would prefer that over a laptop, but how helpful is the Playbook when it comes to typing or using a stylus to write them?
    Use documents to go... works well, has spell check, etc...
    01-17-12 07:36 PM
    works great for me. i use groovynotes for my journal needs but i think there are other apps that seem to fill other needs that are useful.
    01-17-12 07:52 PM
    If you are a touch typist, you are going to find any virtual keyboard inadequate. Personally, even though I am a good typist, I find paper notebooks the superior technology for notetaking.
    01-17-12 07:53 PM
    If you are a touch typist, you are going to find any virtual keyboard inadequate. Personally, even though I am a good typist, I find paper notebooks the superior technology for notetaking.
    agree. Im a 19 yr old college student and its easier to write then type for me!
    01-17-12 08:37 PM
    Thanks for the info!

Is writing with a stylus easier or basically the same as writing on paper? I just think it would be easier to have all my files electronically instead of having lots of different papers to carry around.
    01-17-12 09:54 PM
    I'm a dental student and i have 15 courses. i can only say the playbook has increased my productivity since getting it back in october.

If the prof had not uploaded lecture notes and intended to do it after lecture later, i would take notes on my playbook in Word-to-go. When the notes get uploaded and printed, i transcribed them later. If there will be no lecture notes, i find it better to take notes on the pb vs writing on loose sheets because i lose things all the time.

I make spelling mistakes once in a while due to the touch keyboard and i find pressing the spacebar is not the most effective sometimes and i get words stuck together. It is nowhere as effective as a laptop keyboard but i make do by using short forms and abbreviations. And you can always edit your notes once you're at a laptop.

I highly recommend it if you own a beast of a laptop that you don't want to lug to school. Or you can stick to the old fashion pen and paper method.

Not to mention great to have around when you just want to look up something quick or use it to kill time.
    Tales_x and kimbonini like this.
    01-17-12 10:07 PM
    once os 2 is released, you could use the keyboard from your bold 9900. that would make typing a lot faster. If not, using portrait mode and thumb typing works rather nicely for me now.
    kimbonini likes this.
    01-17-12 10:16 PM
    Stylus apparently doesn't work thru a screen protector - FYI
    01-17-12 10:22 PM
    Stylus apparently doesn't work thru a screen protector - FYI
    The stylus I use seems quite able to function correctly through the screen protector on my BlackBerry PlayBook. However, until we get an application such as Bamboo Paper and perhaps Bamboo Stylus for the BlackBerry PlayBook hand-written notes on this tablet really has a ways to go.
    01-17-12 10:50 PM
    You could also record your lecture with Voice Notes and take notes with pen and paper. Go over the lecture later and include anything you missed.
    CDM76 and kimbonini like this.
    01-17-12 10:59 PM
    i use the pb for all my note taking now, in fact i now use it more than pen and paper.
    if you have the option to bridge, the memo pad is outstanding. i take notes with the pb, and if out away from the office, the notes are right there on my bb phone for reference and updating from any where. i use this at meetings, briefs, and when giving classes.

with mProductive on my phone i am able to keep all memos listed together depending on what they are in reference to. the pb has made me dang near paperless.

notesmartly is a good app, pricey, but the audio, picture, text and video ability help with in depth notes with visual and audio memory aids. i use this alot as well for work.
    keep experementing, and you will find what works for you.
    kimbonini likes this.
    01-17-12 11:04 PM
    I'm a dental student and i have 15 courses. i can only say the playbook has increased my productivity since getting it back in october.

If the prof had not uploaded lecture notes and intended to do it after lecture later, i would take notes on my playbook in Word-to-go. When the notes get uploaded and printed, i transcribed them later. If there will be no lecture notes, i find it better to take notes on the pb vs writing on loose sheets because i lose things all the time.

I make spelling mistakes once in a while due to the touch keyboard and i find pressing the spacebar is not the most effective sometimes and i get words stuck together. It is nowhere as effective as a laptop keyboard but i make do by using short forms and abbreviations. And you can always edit your notes once you're at a laptop.

I highly recommend it if you own a beast of a laptop that you don't want to lug to school. Or you can stick to the old fashion pen and paper method.

Not to mention great to have around when you just want to look up something quick or use it to kill time.
    It's especially good for lectures by Dr. Haas or Dr. Lanca where you have to add a lot to the notes.
    01-17-12 11:18 PM
    once os 2 is released, you could use the keyboard from your bold 9900. that would make typing a lot faster. If not, using portrait mode and thumb typing works rather nicely for me now.
    I don't think that my 9900 keyboard will be confortable enough to type extensive e-mail or notes on my Pb.

So i got a keyboard. Well actually I had to get 2. Guess what, the cheapest keyboard works better. The first one was the Hip Street lost the bluetooth connection all the time. So I returned it at Best Buy. The second one, I found it on Ebay and come from China. It's all silicone so you can pour water on it and.... still works !

So I got it for 39.99 $ on Ebay and I would rate it 8\10
    Hip street 99.99 $ at Best Buy and rate it Fail.

In conclusion if you need to take a lot of notes i still think that a regular keyboard is easier and faster.
    kimbonini likes this.
    01-18-12 02:01 PM
    It's especially good for lectures by Dr. Haas or Dr. Lanca where you have to add a lot to the notes.
    LOL. I always sleep through Dr. Lanca's lectures. Not even surfing on the PlayBook can keep me awake for his boring lectures. I'm referring to Gen Path, Radiology, Paedo and Perio.
    01-18-12 10:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD