I'm kind of surprised the results people have been getting from the battery life. How are some people getting 10 hours and over from browsing the web, listening to music, and watching videos? I get max of 8 hours when I do all of that. Also, is it normal that my batery dropped 20% over night while on standby? I have done all the tricks to save battery life such as accepting the video chat agreement and completely discharging my battery too. Could this just be my battery is defective?
    05-14-11 03:16 PM
    It all varies depending on what mix of stuff you do. I find that browsing seems to drain the battery faster, while playing a game seems to drain it slower. Haven't watched any videos yet, so I can't say how that compares. I've probably gotten as little as 6 hours doing a lot of browsing and downloading/installing apps, and then I've gone close to two days when not doing much that requires an online connection.
    05-14-11 03:20 PM
    lithium ion batteries shouldn't be discharged completely.
    05-14-11 03:51 PM
    If you want to compare
    When I webrowsing, it drains 1% each 3 mins
    a full episode of 43mn length in divx: 8%

a movie via hdmi output with screen off 18% for 2 hours,
    copying file via wifi 1% all 5 mn
    So as you can see it really depends on what you do

In standby of 8 hrs, 2%

Not sure if we can get better...
    05-14-11 05:01 PM
    Battery of my car is better than my playbook's.... a shame!
    you can't compare with a laptop which have probably 7 cells and is much bigger. Not sure I would like to have a laptop battery in my pocket
    RJMullins likes this.
    05-14-11 05:24 PM
    I get close to 10 hours on reduced screen brightness, brightness at 50% is good for me and it doesn't strain my eyes so much for prolonged use.
    05-14-11 05:29 PM
    I guess I have the Playbook with best battery life, now I can use my playbook for 10 hours wifi on, browsing web and games with 50% remaining of battery life. Take note when the battery meter is 0% it means I still have 1.5hours of watching movies. For me web browsing consume 3% of my battery life per hour, while playing need for speed take about 8 to 10% of my battery life per hour. Try security wipe if you are encountering battery problem. Take note 0% battery drop in standby mode for about 5hours.
    05-14-11 05:34 PM
    I guess I have the Playbook with best battery life, now I can use my playbook for 10 hours wifi on, browsing web and games with 50% remaining of battery life. Take note when the battery meter is 0% it means I still have 1.5hours of watching movies. For me web browsing consume 3% of my battery life per hour, while playing need for speed take about 8 to 10% of my battery life per hour. Try security wipe if you are encountering battery problem. Take note 0% battery drop in standby mode for about 5hours.
    Wtf? how is this possible? I litterally drop 1% every 5 minutes while doing that.
    05-14-11 06:19 PM
    originally I have 0% battery drop for the first 2hours of use, and will only get battery drop of 2% after 2hours of using it. meaning 1.5% of battery drop per hour, that was during the old OS version, but after the update I have worst battery life, 8%to 20% battery drop after 8hours of standby mode, and 20% of battery drop after 1 hour of games and browsing, but after security wipe, my battery life become OK now, 0% battery drop after 5 hours of standby mode, and about 3% battery drop per hour of use
    05-14-11 09:30 PM
    originally I have 0% battery drop for the first 2hours of use, and will only get battery drop of 2% after 2hours of using it. meaning 1.5% of battery drop per hour, that was during the old OS version, but after the update I have worst battery life, 8%to 20% battery drop after 8hours of standby mode, and 20% of battery drop after 1 hour of games and browsing, but after security wipe, my battery life become OK now, 0% battery drop after 5 hours of standby mode, and about 3% battery drop per hour of use
    As I commented to this in another thread as well: You're the only person on planet earth with this kind of battery.
    And to be honest, I believe your battery meter is just plain wrong and maybe your battery will die completely soon, as it get's overload by charge...
    05-14-11 11:30 PM
    battery does goes warm even on wifi. i bet battery management will get updated soon. its pretty normal for newly released device.
    05-15-11 12:04 AM
    RIM should've used lithium-polymer instead of lithium-ion not sure what their reasoning is, hopefully future OS updates will improve battery life, as for the meter its highly inaccurate, i was watching the karate kid (newest version) @ 720p and max screen brightness, once the battery meter hit 0% i was able to continue for another 30 minutes before my playbook turned off, if i had it at 50% or lower for brightness it would've probably lasted an hour.
    05-15-11 12:11 AM
    yeah i am trying to drain it to zero. remember "calibrating" my battery years ago in palm and android devices.
    05-15-11 02:07 AM
    I'm kind of surprised the results people have been getting from the battery life. How are some people getting 10 hours and over from browsing the web, listening to music, and watching videos? I get max of 8 hours when I do all of that. Also, is it normal that my batery dropped 20% over night while on standby? I have done all the tricks to save battery life such as accepting the video chat agreement and completely discharging my battery too. Could this just be my battery is defective?
    You got to understand that much of the longer battery life you hear about here are exaggerations from fan boys.
    05-15-11 06:22 AM
    If you want to compare
    When I webrowsing, it drains 1% each 3 mins.
    I was just wondering whether other people get such drain, as well. For me, it seems to be similar, or perhaps 1% every 4 mins when having brightness set to about 2/3. I don't want to panic, but I can't see how my battery life would exceed 6 hours while browsing the web and watching videos online, unless I turn the brightness way down. I have no problem in doing that, but I want to first figure out whether there's something wrong with my battery or not.
    01-09-12 04:54 PM
    If you read PlayBook: Power Consumption you should be able to figure out roughly how fast it would drain with whatever use you're describing there. I show 0%, 50%, and 100% brightness while doing nothing, so browsing would be slightly higher power consumption.
    01-09-12 05:09 PM
    Thanks! So based on the link, would around 6 - 7 hours of surfing the web and watching youtube videos on 60 - 70% brightness and full volume be a reasonable estimate of battery life expectancy?
    01-09-12 05:56 PM
    Battery capacity nominally 19.98Wh. Typical health 90%. Assume 6.5 hours of use:

19.98 * 0.9 / 6.5 = 2.76W

If run at 65% brightness, assuming a linear relationship between 0% and 100%, that would be 2.54W or so, based on my numbers from there.

Throw in some audio (no more than 100mW probably) and you're right in the ballpark.
    EmperorRyker likes this.
    01-09-12 07:35 PM
    Thanks again! I think I'll stop worrying about my battery now
    01-10-12 12:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD