I can see the Documents folder using Air Browser. But when using ES file explorer or Ghost Commander, it's not there. Anyone knows where this folder is located?
    03-16-12 08:32 AM
    I can see the Documents folder using Air Browser. But when using ES file explorer or Ghost Commander, it's not there. Anyone knows where this folder is located?
    Air Browser doesn't let you see folders above. Android file browser does. In my PB you can find the documents folder under /accounts/1000/shared
    zzbsb likes this.
    03-16-12 10:28 AM
    For some reason RIM has hidden the Documents folder on the Android side of things.

My work around. In Android, I copy to/from the Downloads folder, then on the non-android side use AirBrowser (other) to move/copy to/from Downloads to Documents (I use Downloads only because it is convenient)
    zzbsb likes this.
    03-16-12 10:37 AM
    Air Browser doesn't let you see folders above. Android file browser does. In my PB you can find the documents folder under /accounts/1000/shared
    That folder is restricted --- You can't copy from/to that folder.
    03-16-12 10:58 AM
    The documents folder from Air Browser is mapped to this location on my PB /accounts/1000/shared/documents and I can copy to/from this location.
    03-16-12 11:23 AM
    The original poster was noting that IN ANDROID, the Documents Folder is NOT available.

That caused issues for the Android qpdf app (available in Appworld) - you could not navigate to the Documents folder to open pdf files located in that folder. They issued some fix. It is a RIM issue.
    03-16-12 12:18 PM
    The original poster was noting that IN ANDROID, the Documents Folder is NOT available.

That caused issues for the Android qpdf app (available in Appworld) - you could not navigate to the Documents folder to open pdf files located in that folder. They issued some fix. It is a RIM issue.
    I don't know if that's what OP was asking about. OP, can you repost your question in more detail? I know Android Apps are NOT looking at the same place for documents as PB native apps, but OP's question is about "document" folder visible under "air browser" that he cannot find through ES file explorer or Ghost commander.

Anyway, the bottom line is when I had to copy/move files around for Android apps, I could not use air browser as it doesn't provide access to /sdcard folder, while Android file browsers can access the entire file system.
    03-16-12 01:05 PM
    It's really weird how the Documents folder can't be seen by sideloaded Android apps but is visible to native or Air apps. Maybe a sandboxing bug? It breaks QuickOffice because you can only navigate the /sdcard folder and you can't go up to the /accounts/1000/shared folder where all your data is actually stored.

What works: AIR Browser
    What doesn't: Ghost Commander, ES File Browser, OI File manager, QuickOffice, any Android file manager

I fixed it by creating a symlink with these steps:
    1. Install BGShellPlus from App World, it's a command line shell
    2. Run this command: ln -s /accounts/1000/shared/documents /sdcard/Documents
    3. This will create a symbolic link so you can access the real Documents folder from any Android app. You don't have to copy your data twice.

I'm just thankful we even get filesystem access
    01-01-13 10:33 AM
    It's really weird how the Documents folder can't be seen by sideloaded Android apps but is visible to native or Air apps. Maybe a sandboxing bug? It breaks QuickOffice because you can only navigate the /sdcard folder and you can't go up to the /accounts/1000/shared folder where all your data is actually stored.

What doesn't: Ghost Commander, ES File Browser, OI File manager, QuickOffice, any Android file manager

3. This will create a symbolic link so you can access the real Documents folder from any Android app. You don't have to copy your data twice.

Thanks for posting this - it might be helpful.

I don't see a BGshellPLUS, only bgshell. Is it the same?

What "damage" can I do using this tool?

What else INTERESTING could I do with it?
    01-01-13 11:45 AM

I had not revisited this issue since the thread began but I just tried GhostCommander and I can get into the Documents folder and even opened a pdf file. ESFileExplorer is still a no-go.
    01-01-13 11:53 AM
    Thanks for posting this - it might be helpful.
    I don't see a BGshellPLUS, only bgshell. Is it the same?
    What "damage" can I do using this tool?
    What else INTERESTING could I do with it?
    Sorry, the actual app name is "BG SSH-SCP-SFTP free".

It gives you a commandline interface into the Unix internals of QNX. If you're familiar with Linux, OS X or Android, you should be at home with this. I don't think you can do much damage to an unrooted PB because the system files and folders all have proper permissions on them. If you're running a rooted PB, then you can probably hose the system

I tried the symlink and it works with ES File Explorer also. Maybe you could try creating the symlink with another name like Docs or Docus.
    01-01-13 12:05 PM
    Sorry, the actual app name is "BG SSH-SCP-SFTP free".

It gives you a commandline interface into the Unix internals of QNX. If you're familiar with Linux, OS X or Android, you should be at home with this. I don't think you can do much damage to an unrooted PB because the system files and folders all have proper permissions on them. If you're running a rooted PB, then you can probably hose the system

I tried the symlink and it works with ES File Explorer also. Maybe you could try creating the symlink with another name like Docs or Docus.
    Nah, Cobol, maybe a bit of basic and dbase!

Hmm, the same developer created both the one you mentioned in your reply as well as the one I referenced. I guess he's into Linux shells or whatever.
    01-01-13 12:32 PM
    I had not revisited this issue since the thread began but I just tried GhostCommander and I can get into the Documents folder and even opened a pdf file. ESFileExplorer is still a no-go.
    Try ES again- it should work to open docs in QuickOffice. And if it doesn't work on the first attempt, try again. X-Plore File Manager also works, and probably most other android file managers will work.
    01-01-13 12:51 PM
    Try ES again- it should work to open docs in QuickOffice. And if it doesn't work on the first attempt, try again. X-Plore File Manager also works, and probably most other android file managers will work.
    Unless I'm mistaken (quite possible), you canNOT get to the Native documents folder using ES. In the past Ghost Commander could not either - seems they fixed it????
    01-01-13 01:14 PM
    Unless I'm mistaken (quite possible), you canNOT get to the Native documents folder using ES. In the past Ghost Commander could not either - seems they fixed it????
    Attached Thumbnails Not seeing documents folder when using android file explorer?-img_20120929.jpg   Not seeing documents folder when using android file explorer?-img_20120930.jpg  
    01-01-13 01:48 PM
    Ah, I found Settings - Allow UP TO ROOT!!!! Othewise, UP would not travel up to the Shared folder. Thanks for being persistent.
    01-01-13 01:56 PM
    You have to go up to / from /sdcard before you can go to /accounts/1000/shared. By making the symlink as noted above, you can go there directly. I find it easier to open files directly from QuickOffice instead of launching a separate file manager. The less said of the stock show-everything-flat file manager, the better
    FF22 likes this.
    01-01-13 08:28 PM

Is this still possible in os 2.1? I writed the command but it doesnt do anything.
    08-22-13 01:39 AM
    Is this still possible in os 2.1? I writed the command but it doesnt do anything.
    It is possible!! awesome I didnt leave a space between documents /sdcard thats why it wasnt working for me.
    08-22-13 01:51 AM

Anyone knows how to undone this symlink? Help.
    03-08-15 07:01 PM
    Not exactly sure what you're asking. I'm also not sure why you seemed to have followed blueberrymerry's advice, since, on the day he made the post you cited- where he states categorically that ES File Explorer, Ghost Commander, etc., couldn't access the PB's documents folder- I posted two screenshots showing that I could access this folder using ES. F2 confirmed this after a bit of effort on his part. While blueberrymerry was correct in stating that QuickOffice's internal file manager couldn't access the documents folder (since it could only access the sd card folder) it was nevertheless possible to open docs in the documents folder using QuickOffice if one simply used ES or Ghost instead of QuickOffice's internal file manager.

In any event, I wouldn't delete any symlinks without first backing up the folder/files linked to. Deleting other symlink files in the sd card folder generally deletes them from the PB's media folders as well.
    03-08-15 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD