I decided to download a couple of videos from the Video Store.

Annoying aspects of the experience:

1. Two rental price buttons were listed for one video: $2.99 and $3.99. Don't know why there would be two prices. However, when I click on the $2.99 button, a $3.99 charge appears next.

2. Very slow download. Could be the Video Store server(s). Could be the lousy Wi-fi provided by both of my Playbooks. I�ve tried two different wireless routers (one purchased new less than a month ago). I�ve tried numerous settings on both of my PBs and the two routers. Yet the speeds between both the PBs and the routers are much slower than the speeds between my 3-year old laptop and those routers.

3. After the download was completed, I definitely was not given 24 hours from that point in time to play and replay that video.

4. The Playbook Video Player lacks many rudimentary features. No Fast Forward (except to the very end of the video). No Rewind (except to the very beginning of the video). No Slow Motion going forward or backward. Difficult to precisely pick points in videos to particular Minutes/Seconds.

Not a set of experiences that are going to motivate me to rent or buy videos from the Video Store.
    09-09-12 05:42 PM
    I decided to download a couple of videos from the Video Store.

Annoying aspects of the experience:

1. Two rental price buttons were listed for one video: $2.99 and $3.99. Don't know why there would be two prices. However, when I click on the $2.99 button, a $3.99 charge appears next.

2. Very slow download. Could be the Video Store server(s). Could be the lousy Wi-fi provided by both of my Playbooks. I�ve tried two different wireless routers (one purchased new less than a month ago). I�ve tried numerous settings on both of my PBs and the two routers. Yet the speeds between both the PBs and the routers are much slower than the speeds between my 3-year old laptop and those routers.

3. After the download was completed, I definitely was not given 24 hours from that point in time to play and replay that video.

4. The Playbook Video Player lacks many rudimentary features. No Fast Forward (except to the very end of the video). No Rewind (except to the very beginning of the video). No Slow Motion going forward or backward. Difficult to precisely pick points in videos to particular Minutes/Seconds.

Not a set of experiences that are going to motivate me to rent or buy videos from the Video Store.
    Well the pricing could be a error, Always assume it's the more expensive price listed..
    Take a screen shot of the app with the prices showing an contact the app developer.

Also you have to realize that the apps where rushed most of them because they where converted or are in BETA still.. contact the app developer you should be able to find the e-mail of the developer company via google.
    09-09-12 06:49 PM
    I'm guessing that the higher price was for the HD version. My main issue with the store is that still lacks a streaming option. Like you said, this way the downloads take forever.
    09-09-12 09:01 PM
    There are many things that I'm not impressed with. It's a very frustrating device
    09-09-12 09:05 PM
    I don't use it all together, mainly because of its lack of content and also the fact that it isn't a subscription instead of pay per view.
    09-09-12 09:10 PM
    "I'm guessing that the higher price was for the HD version."

I was guessing along those lines--that, either two versions--either in length and/or video/audio quality were involved. Apparently, only one version was--a 1080p version.

Had there been an actual choice, I would have gone with the $3.99/1080p version anyway--to see how it appeared and sounded on my system. That's what I ended up getting and the visual/audio results were satisfactory.

However, if two choices aren't actually available, the Video Store shouldn't initially indicate that there are.

"My main issue with the store is that still lacks a streaming option."

Actually, there might be a streaming option and the following comment I made earlier is misleading:

"3. After the download was completed, I definitely was not given 24 hours from that point in time to play and replay that video."

I believe that I started streaming the video, which started my 24 hour viewing period running, but because the data streaming from my wireless router to my Playbooks is so slow, the stream died. Then, I downloaded the entire movie, which took about four hours.

So, by beginning to stream, I actually ate into my 24 hour period.

Perhaps Playbook owners who have managed to establish faster PB Wi-Fi connections to their routers or 3G-4G connections than I have, are able to successfully stream videos from the Video Store.

I plan to determine if the Video Store will allow me to download videos to my Playbook which I have tethered to a 3G phone. (For some reason(s), I have been unable to tether my second Playbook to the same phone.) I highly doubt that the 3G tethered connection would allow acceptable video streaming of high-quality video from the store.
    09-09-12 09:53 PM
    I have not experienced the things you mention on the Video Store, yet.

I. must have a solid wifi connection because I have been able to stream tv shows right after I click 'watch now. There hasn't even been a stutter.

There could be more content and it could be better organized, but when something I want is there I purchase it instead of finding a torrent.
    09-09-12 10:30 PM
    I just do the download over night.
    09-09-12 10:52 PM
    I bought a movie from the VS, and it took about 10 min to download for a 95 min movie. Not HD, but very acceptable quality.
    09-09-12 10:54 PM
    Ditto with the sloooowwwww download speed of the video. Instead of getting a good night's sleep, I am babysitting the download so I can watch the video on the plane tomorrow. I have had to re-try the download at least a half a dozen times to get it to complete. The movie is 85 minutes long but the download is now into its 85th minute with 25 minutes to go. Totally unacceptable. Wifi is strong (sitting a few feet away) and my network is working well. RIM needs to hit the vendor over the head. This is a service offering and it is total unusable at these download rates. Torrents would be faster. Including transcoding time. I am willing to be patient but this is just simply too slow to be useful. Oh well. Just another half baked attempt to play with the big boys (<== troll bait).
    11-05-12 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD