01-14-13 04:41 PM
43 12
tools
    I know some have scoffed at the idea of a battery pull on a Playbook, but it may actually help.

A friend of mine had problems charging his Playbook. No matter what it kept stuck at 0% and he would have it stuck in that endless boot/not enough battery cycle and even using 3-button reset and stack charging, nothing worked.

So we used plastic tools to pry open the Playbook and removed the little connector from the battery to the circuit board held down by 2 flat screws, and reconnected.

Everything worked back to normal!

And the Playbook had no sign of being open, that is because we carefully spudged it open with plastic instruments designed for this type of repair. No scratches are dents at all.

The reason this problem may happen is that the Playbook is never completely off, even when it is shut down. I believe any residual settings/registers/memory is still the same and it may need a total battery disconnect and reconnect to reset things.

The Playbook should have come with a small pin hole that basically completely disconnects the battery or does an even lower level reset than the 3-button method (in case there is a button hardware issue) for emergency cases.

For anyone scared to open up their Playbook, you can look on youtube for videos showing it and pick up the plastic tools for pennies at your local hardware cell repair shop.

NOTE: I assume your Playbook is out of warranty and you have no other options, otherwise just go through normal support warranty channels.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    I have also heard about playbook battery pulls. People who try stack charging with no result have become so desperate they they take off the housing, disconnect battery, reconnect, then put housing back on. Apparently it works for some.
    12-01-12 08:24 AM
    I have also heard about playbook battery pulls. People who try stack charging with no result have become so desperate they they take off the housing, disconnect battery, reconnect, then put housing back on. Apparently it works for some.
    I did that with the Playbook my wife is using now.
    I bought it and a rapid charger for $40 because the Playbook wouldn't charge.
    It takes about 10 minutes to pop the back off and disconnect the battery. I use guitar picks to pry the back off.

It turned out to be a good deal. If not, I guess I would have had a $40 rapid charger.
    12-01-12 11:34 AM
    I want a remake of this video with those BlackBerrys, beating the living chit out of granny-smith! lol
    That is sooooo cool.
    +1 on the coolness of this video. Love it. Thanks axllebeer!
    12-01-12 12:43 PM
    Whoa... I've never seen a Playbook get that messed up. How in the heck could something like that happen?
    12-02-12 08:31 AM
    I'm now sure there is something loose in there. I would open it to check, if I had any skill whatsoever...
    12-02-12 10:49 AM
    That sux. Hope you get things fixed up right.
    diegonei likes this.
    12-02-12 04:44 PM
    You laugh at the battery pull comment, but actually RIM did make it possible to remove it conveniently with a single tool. All you have to do is lay the PB onto a workbench and use a common hammer. Next you ever so gently raise the hammer and slam it down on the PB with all your might. The case will now be open for you to pull your battery. Then put back in the battery (right way up, you don't want to damage it!) and phone support about the shattered screen.
    I kept on looking at my playbook as I was reading this, someone is not playing nice.
    12-02-12 05:00 PM
    You laugh at the battery pull comment, but actually RIM did make it possible to remove it conveniently with a single tool. All you have to do is lay the PB onto a workbench and use a common hammer. Next you ever so gently raise the hammer and slam it down on the PB with all your might. The case will now be open for you to pull your battery. Then put back in the battery (right way up, you don't want to damage it!) and phone support about the shattered screen.
    Hummmm, only problem with this technique s that it'll be external damage not covered under warranty
    12-02-12 05:45 PM
    Sadly this video was a little more accurate

12-02-12 05:55 PM
    Sadly this video was a little more accurate

I was waiting this long for someone to post that. Took forever.

I was thinking more along the lines that once BB10 is released that the video I posted would be more accurate.
    12-02-12 06:23 PM
    Do you guys remember this is about a broken PlayBook right?

Take it outside or I'll have to call the mods to do some cleaning. Sheesh, why does it always have to go downhill into a platform fight?
    12-02-12 07:34 PM
    Do you guys remember this is about a broken PlayBook right?

Take it outside or I'll have to call the mods to do some cleaning. Sheesh, why does it always have to go downhill into a platform fight?
    Chill out man just having some fun. I own BlackBerry, Android, and iOS devices so yeah no hate from me any way you slice it.
    Wasn't my intention to start anything. Peace to all.

On the lighter side of life, I would be heartbroken if I saw that on my Playbook screen and best of luck getting it repared/replaced. I wish I had a better suggestion for you other than cross your fingers, sadly I do not.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 12-02-12 at 08:25 PM.
    diegonei likes this.
    12-02-12 07:53 PM
    Chill out man just having some fun. I own BlackBerry, Android, and iOS devices so yeah no hate from me any way you slice it.
    Wasn't my intention to start anything. Peace to all.

On the lighter side of life, I would be heartbroken if I saw that on my Playbook screen and best of luck getting it repared/replaced. I wish I had a better suggestion for you other than cross your fingers, sadly I do not.
    I was going to post the nice shades of gray it is showing now, but I dare not distress you further...

Edit: gotta love Worf's lines...

Anyway, RIM will be coming here to pick it up and in about two weeks (and probably a hundred Reais) I shall have a fully functional PlayBook again!
    Last edited by diegonei; 12-03-12 at 12:57 PM.
    axllebeer likes this.
    12-03-12 08:00 AM
    Edit:[/B] gotta love Worf's lines...
    Yes. Gotta love Worf.
    Best of luck.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 12-06-12 at 11:46 AM.
    12-03-12 04:57 PM
    Berry Gods!! Forgive me for the lack of faith, I shall never ever doubt thy wisdom again. I am humbled by the mysterious ways thy work takes shape and form!

Soo.....

RIM has issued me a new PlayBook unit. I shall not pay to ship the old broken one to support in So Paulo, nor shall I have to spend a dime with the new one. Waiting for the box to arrive.

kbz1960 likes this.
    12-10-12 11:26 AM
    Awesome. Can't complain about that I suppose. Congrats on the new PlayBook.
    12-10-12 11:32 AM
    Well done.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-10-12 03:57 PM
    My PlayBook has been returned to me. I'll post the full story soon.
    01-14-13 04:41 PM
43 12