The Playbook will (slowly) charge on other Blackberry USB wall chargers, but I discovered today it might not like some generic ones.

I plugged it into a generic 5v, 1a wall wart using a standard mini-USB plug. The one for my phone is 5v, 700ma so I figured the generic one might be a bit quicker. The battery icon showed it was charging, but at the same time apps started open, maximize and minimize, the on-screen keyboard popped up and back down ... in short all h3ll broke loose. I don't know if it was causing damage or not, but after about 20 seconds I thought the sensible response was to unplug it. Problem solved.

I've never seen anything like that before. I assume Blackberry must use a non-standard pinout on the Playbook's mini-USB jack, so it was getting data input from the wall wart. Anyone else seen anything like this before?

Dave
    11-20-11 10:37 AM
    Any chance the charger was positioned very near the screen, in such a way that an electric field generated by it might be throwing off the multitouch sensor?

What you were seeing sounds like what I see when I place two PlayBooks face-to-face... it's crazy! Like they're both swiping the other...
    11-20-11 10:48 AM
    The Playbook will (slowly) charge on other Blackberry USB wall chargers, but I discovered today it might not like some generic ones.

I plugged it into a generic 5v, 1a wall wart using a standard mini-USB plug. The one for my phone is 5v, 700ma so I figured the generic one might be a bit quicker. The battery icon showed it was charging, but at the same time apps started open, maximize and minimize, the on-screen keyboard popped up and back down ... in short all h3ll broke loose. I don't know if it was causing damage or not, but after about 20 seconds I thought the sensible response was to unplug it. Problem solved.

I've never seen anything like that before. I assume Blackberry must use a non-standard pinout on the Playbook's mini-USB jack, so it was getting data input from the wall wart. Anyone else seen anything like this before?

Dave
    What brand?? Thanks.
    11-27-11 05:34 PM
    i also faced the same problem when i used a local USB adapter screen apps automatically start opening screen goes up and down. then i remove that plug as dont want to spoil the playbook.
    03-07-12 10:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD