Now that the update is out and almost everything seems to be working I can't share any files with my PC via the wifi network. I see the playbook but the network won't let me connect to it. I have a mac airport extreme router and I'm running windows vista. Can someone please walk me through a fix, if there is one. Someone posted something about manually putting in an ip address. I have no idea how to do this with the hardware I have. With the old OS I had no problems connecting.
    07-20-11 06:13 PM
    For me browsing the IP works.
    Start->Run \\your.pb.ip.here\
    Truckswain likes this.
    07-20-11 06:21 PM
    I just noticed the same issue with a windows PC. The PB is in the network list however when trying to open an error messages states to turn on the device.

Anyone else having this issue? Suggestions?
    07-20-11 06:22 PM
    You need to map a network drive to point to PB's media folder

Right click on My Computer and choose Map Network Folder....

in the folder field enter \\xx.xx.xx.xx\media
    where xx.xx.xx.xx is the ip address of your playbook on your LAN. You can find in in
    the dhcp table in your router.
    07-20-11 06:36 PM
    I had the same problem on 1.0.7.2650 (haven't updated yet) and tofo17's solution worked for me. Only problem is when I try to transfer a movie the wifi on the playbook drops about 30 seconds into the transfer and kills it.

Has anyone experienced this, and does .2670 fix the issue?
    07-20-11 06:43 PM
    That works for me also.
    07-20-11 07:03 PM
    No wifi sharing on 1.0.7.2670 either ,was working fine till i upgraded.
    Mapping the drive as suggested above by tofo17 worked .

Come on RIM you really need to get your act together !
    07-20-11 07:33 PM
    works fine for me..... without having to reconfigure anything.
    07-20-11 08:10 PM
    No wifi sharing on 1.0.7.2670 either ,was working fine till i upgraded.
    Mapping the drive as suggested above by tofo17 worked .
    I used this method to get access to the files on the PB but unable to transfer video that I shot with the PB. Prior to the update the file sharing by wifi worked.
    07-20-11 08:43 PM
    i'm trying but on the airport router i only see numbers for each device . i can't figure out what ip address goes to the playbook
    07-20-11 08:57 PM
    i'm trying but on the airport router i only see numbers for each device . i can't figure out what ip address goes to the playbook
    on your playbook goto the wifi connectivity setup page. hit the icon in the lower left for wifi status. select the dropdown for internet connection. your PB ip address will be listed there.
    07-20-11 09:04 PM
    On the Playbook: look in the Wifi settings under Wifi - hit the button at the bottom to bring up Wi-Fi status, then choose "Internet Connection" from the drop down. The first item shown in the PB's IP address.
    07-20-11 09:07 PM

where xx.xx.xx.xx is the ip address of your playbook on your LAN. You can find in in
    This worked for me. I got the ip address from my playbook by going to the gear icon and in the About section under network.

Thanks man!!!
    07-20-11 09:12 PM
    This worked for me. I got the ip address from my playbook by going to the gear icon and in the About section under network.

Thanks man!!!
    You're welcome.

If you are using DHCP to automatically obtain the ip address, you may have to change your drive mapping if the ip changes. I am using a static ip on my pb to avoid this problem - until this gets fixed anyway.
    07-20-11 09:40 PM
    and by any chance have any of you tryin to delete the wifi profile from the pb reboot and then reconnect to the wifi network? or maybe going to device manager and disable rim network adapter and then re enable it? both fixed it for me...
    07-20-11 09:45 PM
    There is a bug in this update. There is no device name associated with the IP address in your router. The device still broadcasts the device name to the network (which is why you see an icon for it in your Network window), but your router has no name associated with the IP address of your Playbook. You can create a local hosts file, but you'll have to change it every tome your router assigns a new IP address tp your Playbook.
    07-20-11 09:49 PM
    you can mac lock the ip on your router so you always get the same ip with dhcp...
    07-20-11 11:34 PM
    and by any chance have any of you tryin to delete the wifi profile from the pb reboot and then reconnect to the wifi network? or maybe going to device manager and disable rim network adapter and then re enable it? both fixed it for me...
    The device manager fix was only temporary for me. It soon went back to its previous inaccessible state! Now that I've mapped the drive, made the ip address static and put a shortcut on my desktop, I actually prefer it to going to Network and clicking on the playbook.....faster too!!
    07-21-11 12:49 AM
    Why does RIM always seem to break something important while bringing us useless language pack updates?
    07-21-11 01:49 AM

hi i did just this and it says the network path could not be found?
    i put my pb ip addrese in the folder section but what do i put in the drive section?
    thanks
    07-21-11 05:47 AM
    Don't you just marvel at RIM's continued incompetence, just like the most phone updates they fix three things and damage 2. That is why we need to be able to go back to previous builds. And still no basssics lik spelll checkkk, emaill android, bluetoofffh!
    07-21-11 06:50 AM
    I still cannot get this to work in spite of all the suggestions that are made here.
    07-21-11 06:51 AM
    hi i did just this and it says the network path could not be found?
    i put my pb ip addrese in the folder section but what do i put in the drive section?
    thanks
    Are you sure wifi sharing is turned on anf you have typed the correct ip address? (There are better ways to get the ip from the options screen as noted in previous posts - go to the the About tab and select Network)

In the drive section, any unused drive letter will do (it defaults to an unused drive letter so just accept the one that is suggested)
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 07-21-11 at 07:13 AM.
    07-21-11 07:10 AM
    WTF, I was all set with 1.07.2650 and everything including the browser was running silky smooth. This update puts me back in the days of hanging pages with the OS 1.06.xxxx. I am almost mad at myself for updating.

I love the new pinch to zoom feature in the movie player. It lets me zoom to fit the movie to the screen, instead of having to reformat the 720p movies I have loaded. I think that was great, but this one step forward two steps back approach is giving me a headache. Like I say, I am mad at myself for updating. Come on RIM. We are doing out part here being patient, but this is turning into a joke. We never signed on for beta testing and already many of us have spent a lot of our own time doing clean installs to fix your bugs and have had to do work around after work around. Our only fault was buying your product. I still love my playbook, but would love it more with killer software that works perfectly with the hardware.

I am not saying this is a deal breaker for me. The only alternative to a perfectly smooth running playbook is the playbook running running subpar. It is still the best tablet on the market, even running as is, but we all want it dialed in. It has come a long way since launch and I know that you have been working to get it right. Work harder, what ever it takes to get things done!
    07-21-11 07:15 AM
    I think all the playbook owners who have bought the wifi only model, without having all the features and OS dialed in should all get a memory upgrade discount on the next version of playbook that comes out. I would say a free t-shirt, but we have all been put through a lot of ups and downs and deserve more.
    Last edited by Schlymer; 07-21-11 at 07:21 AM.
    07-21-11 07:16 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD