The release of BB10 for the Playbook isn't going to interfere with anything else released from Blackberry.
    Playbook has a very small customer base. Most Playbook owners don't even know about the possible release of BB10. It's only us forum members and geeks that think it's an important event.
    9 people in my office own 12 Playbooks. I am the only person that knows about BB10. That accounts for 2 of the 12 Playbooks. I haven't told the others about it.
    I agree that the customer base if pretty small, if you figure wear and tear and the lack of functionality I bet the number of functioning Playbooks is well under 2 million. And add in the number of Z10 and Q10 owners who have stopped using their Playbook regularly and it is probable under a million. But If the bridge were restored I know I'd be using my Playbook more. And it always impressed my friends the way I could use the two devices together, this only help get people interested in BB devices.
    05-10-13 03:24 PM
    The release of BB10 for the Playbook isn't going to interfere with anything else released from Blackberry.
    Playbook has a very small customer base. Most Playbook owners don't even know about the possible release of BB10. It's only us forum members and geeks that think it's an important event.
    9 people in my office own 12 Playbooks. I am the only person that knows about BB10. That accounts for 2 of the 12 Playbooks. I haven't told the others about it.
    While I'm inclined to agree with you about the forums, you committed the cardinal sin that would make my stats prof (RIP) gag. "I know a couple of people, they act this way, therefore everyone acts this way".

I was recently at dinner with a bunch of people. Half the crowd had PlayBooks, half had iPads. Everyone with PlayBooks asked when it was getting BlackBerry 10.

If I used your same logic, everyone is aware of BlackBerry 10.
    05-10-13 04:36 PM
    I bet the number of functioning Playbooks is well under 2 million. And add in the number of Z10 and Q10 owners who have stopped using their Playbook regularly and it is probable under a million.
    I think that's pushing it. They shipped 2.3 million has of the beginning of March, probably closer to 2.5 million by now. I doubt that many are 'broken' and I'd be leary about assuming that everyone with a BlackBerry 10 device has suddenly stopped using the PlayBook.
    jpash549 likes this.
    05-10-13 04:38 PM
    What is the big deal with BB10? I have a Torch and no desire to upgrade it. Am i missing something?
    05-10-13 11:16 PM
    What is the big deal with BB10? I have a Torch and no desire to upgrade it. Am i missing something?
    Yes. Something mentioned over and over. Folks vary in their needs and wants. It is that simple.
    05-11-13 12:06 AM
    Other than a better interface you will get bb10 apps after the upgrade.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    05-11-13 12:08 AM
    It's been said numerous times that the PlayBook will get a software update to BlackBerry 10.
    Soon
    05-11-13 12:15 AM
    Soon
    Maybe not tomorrow
    But soon
    05-11-13 12:30 AM
    I have a PlayBook and a Z10, I love them both. I'm in no hurry to get BB10 on the PlayBook as my current OS2 version does everything I need well enough. The last thing I need is a repeat of my OS1 hassles! I'll take the PlayBook BB10 OS when BlackBerry have a well sorted version of the OS thanks.

Good things come to those who wait, I believe that and that philosophy has worked well for me.
    05-11-13 12:31 AM
    There will be a tablet announcement on the 15th- so fingers crossed bb10 for the pb is on agenda.
    05-11-13 02:48 AM
    Compared to the 9800? Here's a few things.

1. The app count (while still missing some key apps) is a lot larger. The apps can be more sophisticated, they install without rebooting and they don't slow the device down while installing.

2. The browser is many, many times quicker than what's on the Torch.

3. The OS feels fully designed for a touch screen, not with a touchscreen layer and then menus and menus to click.

4. The OS is a lot more fluid, in my experience

5. BBM is a lot more user friendly

6. The contacts are much more robust in my experience

7. App World has movies and music

8. BB10 devices plug into the television for movie watching

9. The camera software is cooler

10. Apps and updates are more likely to come to a BlackBerry 10 device than a 7 or 6 device at this point
    05-11-13 08:14 AM
    Compared to the 9800? Here's a few things.

1. The app count (while still missing some key apps) is a lot larger. The apps can be more sophisticated, they install without rebooting and they don't slow the device down while installing.

2. The browser is many, many times quicker than what's on the Torch.

3. The OS feels fully designed for a touch screen, not with a touchscreen layer and then menus and menus to click.

4. The OS is a lot more fluid, in my experience

5. BBM is a lot more user friendly

6. The contacts are much more robust in my experience

7. App World has movies and music

8. BB10 devices plug into the television for movie watching

9. The camera software is cooler

10. Apps and updates are more likely to come to a BlackBerry 10 device than a 7 or 6 device at this point
    Thanks for that. I really like 10, never thought about the apps. That alone makes it worthwhile.
    05-11-13 11:28 AM
    While I'm inclined to agree with you about the forums, you committed the cardinal sin that would make my stats prof (RIP) gag. "I know a couple of people, they act this way, therefore everyone acts this way".

I was recently at dinner with a bunch of people. Half the crowd had PlayBooks, half had iPads. Everyone with PlayBooks asked when it was getting BlackBerry 10.

If I used your same logic, everyone is aware of BlackBerry 10.
    Except, the stats. I posted already show that your results are incorrect.
    Obviously you had dinner with a bunch of geeks.

Yes I do realize that one control group isn't giving accurate results but you put words in my mouth by saying "I know a couple of people, they act this way, therefore everyone acts this way.". A more accurate assumption would have been "Here is a small example of what I mean.".
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-13-13 07:03 AM
    Except, the stats. I posted already show that your results are incorrect.

Yes I do realize that one control group isn't giving accurate results but you put words in my mouth by saying "I know a couple of people, they act this way, therefore everyone acts this way.". A more accurate assumption would have been "Here is a small example of what I mean.".
    At last I know!!!!!!!! I finally worked it out and all the time it was as simple as 2 + 2!

You my friend are actually "The President of the United States". Got you now and you can't deny it can you?
    05-13-13 02:08 PM
    Bronco Bahma ..... is that really you ??????
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-13-13 03:11 PM
    Dec 15th 2015?
    05-14-13 08:00 AM
    Surely they can hire like 4 software engineers to port BB10 to the playbook? dont understand why its taking this long..
    chaosdivine likes this.
    05-14-13 08:21 AM
    Yep, me too. I've thought about upgrading but my torch is fine. I'm with Singtel in Singapore so it's not cheap to upgrade anyway.
    05-14-13 09:34 AM
    To be honest, all I want is Skype on my Playbook & I'll be an extremely happy bunny
    05-14-13 10:01 AM
    Surely they can hire like 4 software engineers to port BB10 to the playbook? dont understand why its taking this long..
    Well as I said on another thread it's not "port" exactly. It's not like NetBSD trying to be available on any device. When you write an OS for tactile phones nowadays you de facto write it for tablets too.

Plus they don't have that many devices to work on. BB10 has been tested on the PB all along. The specific drivers have been available from the start, and the whole OS has been fully operational for months.

I suspect the reason why they didn't launch it at the same time as Z10 is that they knew it was still full of bugs and shortcomings, and they didn't want so many PB users to write negative comments about it before they sold their phones, with a clients base that had not been disappointed by the PB.

If you understand that then you realize that the last two minor updates for the PB were in fact red herrings, and that's why they were so superficial, like taking six months for a mail client and another six months to make it turn vertical. They didn't want to give us the release candidates of BB10.
    05-14-13 10:02 AM
    I wanted a better browser and email app closer to what we have on handheld and BBM. Ironically we will be able to get BBM on an Android or iPad soon.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    05-14-13 10:03 AM
    Nope, Ontarians. :-) I travel a lot in Canada and see PlayBooks regularly - at coffee shops, on planes, in airport lobbies ... but really only in Canada. The discounts resulted in a fairly big user base compared to other parts of the world.

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/blackb...pad-2012-07-16

But the point remains: using "I know a couple of people and therefore the global result is" conclusions are silly. Mine is as silly as yours in using as an example.
    05-14-13 10:11 AM
    Bronco Bahma ..... is that really you ??????
    Ok please forgive my ignorance but what or who is a Bronco Bahma? I know a bronco is some kind of horse but Angus_CB has a dog as his Avatar? I just can't get the link there.
    05-14-13 10:16 AM
    I`m very sad that there is no infor about updating playbook to bb10. However, the game is not over and sure we will wait for tomorrow to the last day of blackberry jam. Hope to have some information about it. I love my pb but it makes me tired of waiting.
    05-14-13 10:41 AM
    Nope, Ontarians. :-) I travel a lot in Canada and see PlayBooks regularly - at coffee shops, on planes, in airport lobbies ... but really only in Canada. The discounts resulted in a fairly big user base compared to other parts of the world.

BlackBerry PlayBook Increases Canadian Marketshare to 19%, Second Only to Weakening iPad - Techvibes.com

But the point remains: using "I know a couple of people and therefore the global result is" conclusions are silly. Mine is as silly as yours in using as an example.
    It doesn't surprise me that more Canadians, per ca-pita, have Playbooks that other nations. They are assigned at birth here.

They only reason my example could be more likely than yours is that we know all Playbook owners don't know about BB10, my example proved that.
    05-14-13 11:58 AM
59 123