Just wondering what is going on with the PlayBook.

Mine is aging, has wifi hookup problems, a loose USB plug, and only 16GB memory. Still a handy tool for business and study once it hooks up on the network and keeps the connection. Nice reader device too. I don't see myself functionning without it, as it complements beautifully my 9810, especially when travelling. So I was considering buying now my replacement. But, the stores are out of stock. Does it mean that it is the end of the PB. Not very reassuring for us users, as it is not very likely that apps and fixes will be worked on if the device is not sold anymore.

Anyone?

Is it a bad decision going on with the PB under the circumstances?
    03-26-13 12:10 PM
    03-26-13 12:20 PM
    Where are you?
    64Gb WiFi only version is still on sale in the UK (though only at a couple of retailers). Not sure if there's any way of getting them to deliver to an adress outside of the UK??
    Check out PCWorld/Currys.
    mhmediaonline and purple_bb like this.
    03-26-13 12:22 PM
    Canada.

But do you guys know what is coming up for this tablet?
    03-26-13 12:25 PM
    That has got to be the US price. I saw 220$ before for Canada...
    03-26-13 12:28 PM
    Gee I would like to know before doing this purchase whether there is a new PlayBook coming out soon, within the same price range. I would certainly wait for my actual PB to die before renewing...
    03-26-13 12:40 PM
    No-one (outside of the Blackberry upper management anyway) knows exactly what is happening regards Playbook at the moment.
    We have been promised BB10 at some point 'later this year'. Which MAY lead to a new lease of life regards sales (maybe).
    I think it is safe to say though, that if a new Playbook IS released anytime soon, it is going to be considerably more expensive than a 64Gb WiFi model currently (though this is only my opinion of course).
    EDIT: If it was me, if you can get a 64Gb WiFi for less than a couple of hundred dollars, and the Playbook does what you need it to do, you may as well go for it. Even if it gets officially dis-continued, it is not going to suddenly stop working, and I imagine they would continmue to support it for a while, even if there were no more OS updates, so you'd still get at least a couple of years(and probably more) use out of it. So worst case, it's going to cost you about 16 dollars a month... There is little else available this cheap that has the same functionality!
    purple_bb and Tattooed1 like this.
    03-26-13 12:50 PM
    No-one (outside of the Blackberry upper management anyway) knows exactly what is happening regards Playbook at the moment.
    We have been promised BB10 at some point 'later this year'. Which MAY lead to a new lease of life regards sales (maybe).
    I think it is safe to say though, that if a new Playbook IS released anytime soon, it is going to be considerably more expensive than a 64Gb WiFi model currently (though this is only my opinion of course)
    Yeah, from looking at the price of other tablets, I went with your opinion and pressed the ORDER NOW button. Whatever happens. Got so used to my phone and tablet working together that I could not get used to another tablet.

So PB it will be for another run!

(But really hoping the wifi is more reliable on the coming tablet, my actual one has a weak range, lack of stability of connection, pretty annoying)
    juacas likes this.
    03-26-13 12:57 PM
    Yeah, from looking at the price of other tablets, I went with your opinion and pressed the ORDER NOW button. Whatever happens. Got so used to my phone and tablet working together that I could not get used to another tablet.

So PB it will be for another run!

(But really hoping the wifi is more reliable on the coming tablet, my actual one has a weak range, lack of stability of connection, pretty annoying)
    I think you have made a good decision. I hope it all works out well!! But please don't blame me if it all goes to ****!!

FWIW, my 64Gb that I purchased a few months ago, seems to work pretty well with the WiFi, in fact it drops the connection at home less often than my laptop...
    03-26-13 01:00 PM
    1 - Not too worry, not my kind!

2 - Good to hear about stability of connection of yours. Mine has bugged me for too long, it will be a relief. You do waste time when these things don't function flawlessly.
    03-26-13 01:03 PM
    As encouragement I'll mention that my PB 64gb spends a lot of its time streaming BBC Radios 3 or 4 to a Bluetooth device to my Hi-Fi system. It never now misses a beat - except temporarily when I pick it up by the left corner and block an aerial.
    purple_bb likes this.
    03-26-13 02:04 PM
    Interesting! I don't exploit 1% of the potential of this little beast! Much to discover
    Last edited by purple_bb; 03-26-13 at 04:14 PM.
    03-26-13 03:39 PM
    I think you have made a good decision. I hope it all works out well!! But please don't blame me if it all goes to ****!!

FWIW, my 64Gb that I purchased a few months ago, seems to work pretty well with the WiFi, in fact it drops the connection at home less often than my laptop...
    I had signal drop after I purchased my 64GB PB and found that if I deleted all of my past connection sites (hotel) down to one which was my home location I experienced less drops.

At this point who knows what is going to happen with our PlayBooks as I would hope BBRY would honor us faithfull by providing some form of OS upgrade close to some feature set of OS10. They have stated so, so time will tell.
    03-26-13 03:58 PM
    There has not been any further production manufacturing runs for well over a year and not likely ever since they have been selling at a loss to clear out residual inventory.
    03-26-13 05:57 PM
    This is my thinking and could be wrong, but here it is. I think that BlackBerry has discounted old stock to get ready for the new OS on the tables. The press would have a field day with BlackBerry if they recalled them. So if they get them out in the market and up-date the PlayBooks to a new OS, this would not look so bad.
    03-26-13 09:54 PM
    This is my thinking and could be wrong, but here it is. I think that BlackBerry has discounted old stock to get ready for the new OS on the tables. The press would have a field day with BlackBerry if they recalled them. So if they get them out in the market and up-date the PlayBooks to a new OS, this would not look so bad.
    My hair is getting thin and gray waiting...............waiting..................wai ting.................
    purple_bb, dphjeff and kbz1960 like this.
    03-26-13 11:23 PM
    Stores have been blowing out all stock related to the playbook and claiming that shelf space for something else. It won't be coming back, and if Blackberry will admit it or not it's pretty much a EOL (end of life) but will keep stock for repairs etc..

In canada, Walmart, Future shop, The source etc have long blown anything playbook related out. All Walmart stocks is the keyboard and a screen protector that's it. Where the playbook demo model was is now replaced by some cheap low end android tablet.

It would make no sense for stores to blowout stock than re stock after the fact. All the playbook stock was written off and never made them a dime. Blackberry will keep the users happy with a BB10 upgrade as essentially all PB owners where beta testers with QNX for the phones software..

Do not expect to see any real stock on a PB unless it's a blow sale.

I stuck a fork in it after christmas.
    purple_bb likes this.
    03-27-13 02:52 AM
    I had signal drop after I purchased my 64GB PB and found that if I deleted all of my past connection sites (hotel) down to one which was my home location I experienced less drops.
    I tried that last night and can't believe the result. wifi never ran so smoothly!
    03-27-13 05:55 AM
    Well, I 'll have 2 PlayBooks to wait and see.

There has sure been lots of uncertainty around RIM in the past months but I hope BB 10 revives the company enough so they work on a new innovative tablet. I know when my Torch dies I want another BB.

Whatever happens I will not go for Apple. Everyone has it, talk about being original... not for me. Anything but istuff!
    03-27-13 06:03 AM
    Walmart Canada still sells them at $148 for the 32gb. Use the Walmart website to find a store with stock.
    03-27-13 06:49 AM
    Thanks robsteve, but I had to find one online. Only store in a reasonable radius from me is The Source and they've been bo for months. Hopeless. My 64 gb is already on its way!

Besides, as a sidenote, I decided not to encourage Walmart ever since I heard they do not want to invest on fire safety in their shops abroad. The underpaid workers don't count enough for them apparently and it makes me kind of mad. I'd rather pay more dollars and not support such an attitude. My own opinion.
    03-27-13 07:07 AM
    Canada.

But do you guys know what is coming up for this tablet?
    saw on at the source the other day in peterborough
    03-27-13 07:13 AM
    Gee I would like to know before doing this purchase whether there is a new PlayBook coming out soon, within the same price range. I would certainly wait for my actual PB to die before renewing...
    I doubt it in the same price range as they are selling for now.

My wifi has always been solid except for trying to connect to some hotel hot spots.
    03-27-13 07:26 AM
    Bad Wifi?

Might want to check if you have fluorescent lamps as they can disturb Wifi connections from what I've read on other (non BB related) forums
    03-27-13 07:34 AM
    Bad Wifi?

Might want to check if you have fluorescent lamps as they can disturb Wifi connections from what I've read on other (non BB related) forums
    Wow, never heard that one before... It could be but hey, only PB has an unstable connection when that occurs, which is why many of us who were unlucky to get fault units/hardware/software, whatever is is, are so p.o. Everything else functions beautifully. Phones, laptops, ipads, ipods...
    03-27-13 07:44 AM
36 12