BlackBerry still sells the 9900 cause it still sells. playbook didn't sell. you guys really don't know how to look at things from a business standpoint/blackberry's side

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-06-14 06:26 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't owe you anything.

Posted via CB10
    3800 and tryfe like this.
    10-06-14 08:42 AM
    BlackBerry still sells the 9900 cause it still sells. playbook didn't sell. you guys really don't know how to look at things from a business standpoint/blackberry's side

Posted via CB10
    Do you have a business? Just curious as to where you get your logic from. It's not always about net profit. There's a saying live to fight another day and you win some you lose some.

I do have my own business so let me put a scenario your way. Recently I carried out a fit out in a well known nationwide store who are notorious for not paying for any extra work, if you didn't allow for it in your original quotation it's tough luck, they aren't paying for it.
    A quantity surveyor who contracted me to carry out the work had missed something on the spec that proved to be more expensive than it should because he had allowed for a system that was inadequate.
    If it was about net profit on this one job I'm in a perfectly good position to take him to the cleaners, blank cheque within reason springs to mind.
    I won't do that because I've done work for this guy for three years and I understand his pain. He also has more stores to fit out so we can all go forward and learn from the mistakes and hopefully make money on the others.
    I have achieved his trust not to capitalise on a bad situation, he is more likely to want my company on a job that might be ropey and secured further profitable work. Somewhere in the middle we can find an outcome where we all cover our costs.
    If you go into a business thinking it's all about making money and not playing the long game you won't be in business very long I can assure you.

Change the roles around with PlayBook customers,the playbook and BlackBerry and it may make sense. Fair enough the playbook wasn't their best venture but everyone who bought one is tomorrow passport or z30 buyer. Add to the that a ceo who decided consumers were the future and ditched a load of security features for an iphone killer then swap him out for a ceo who ignores the consumer market for a niche business user device all in the same 12 months while pretending none of it happened and that could be the reason BlackBerry are struggling not because of the PlayBook perhaps.

And yes BlackBerry do owe us something, they promised a device running BB10 and people went out and bought one on the strength of that. Is it too much to ask for some small improvements.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:33 PM
    You show me a businessman who hasn't had to take a loss on a venture ever to secure future orders and I'll show you a liar.
    It's not about the PlayBook balls up its about how they now limit the damage from a pr perspective. I have to say they're making a mess of it. Been a BlackBerry user for many years and still am on my z10.
    Was going to get a q10 for my wife's birthday and didn't because I have no faith they will resolve the double typing issue and any future phone for me will depend on anything coming up after the passport which isn't for me. That goes for all my staff too.
    Loyalty is a two way street. You reap what you sow.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:46 PM
    yes, I own a business. and your comparison isn't fair. you're citing one instance where you're losing money. I bet your company still turns a profit every year. BlackBerry is losing millions of dollars every quarter and are doing everything they can to stop the hemorrhage. "you've gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em". in BlackBerry's case with the playbook they made the right decision to cut their losses and move on.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 12:59 PM
    Not sure what business you're in but now we have mutual respect
    Granted they were in serious trouble, however, I guess the money being spent on some small improvements would be negligible in the big scheme of things within the company. It's also the support network that lacks. BlackBerry have stone walled any attempts at support or people enquiring about its future even before eol was declared.
    In the meantime they have somehow managed to r and d, manufacture and promote a Porsche design phone which will be in the hands of a few dozen people.
    By the way so we're clear I'm not looking for improvements, it's well beyond that. I have let it go.

Posted via CB10
    PlayBook UK likes this.
    10-06-14 01:29 PM
    Not sure what business you're in but now we have mutual respect
    Granted they were in serious trouble, however, I guess the money being spent on some small improvements would be negligible in the big scheme of things within the company. It's also the support network that lacks. BlackBerry have stone walled any attempts at support or people enquiring about its future even before eol was declared.
    In the meantime they have somehow managed to r and d, manufacture and promote a Porsche design phone which will be in the hands of a few dozen people.
    By the way so we're clear I'm not looking for improvements, it's well beyond that. I have let it go.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree about the Porsche, they had the resources for that...we know where the PlayBook support wonga went...what a waste!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    AWB70 likes this.
    10-06-14 05:22 PM
    Coming back to the point of blend, was there not rumours that BBerry staff had this running on Playbooks? Did I not read that Blend should be able to work on any html5 device? Genuine questions not sarcasm, I haven't been keeping up with the goings on for a while but the last time I was knocking about the forums that was the buzz.
    I think that's what annoys me so much. I seem to pop in and there's lots of plans and big things on the horizon (bb10 for playbook) I then come back a few months later to find its all been knocked on the head in favour of something mediocre for rival devices.

My list of BB things I would like to have on my Playbook would be re-enabled full bridge, channels, group chats and blend. All BB ideas and on a BB device. Too much to ask? Maybe I should get an ipad so I can use these features, tell what would go well with an ipad, an iphone.

Wouldn't do it but you can see where I'm coming from.
    10-06-14 06:02 PM
    Pssst I also once heard BB10 was seen working on a Playbook, but I didn't tell you that ssshhh
    10-06-14 06:03 PM
    Pssst I also once heard BB10 was seen working on a Playbook, but I didn't tell you that ssshhh
    Many people have had BB10 working on their Playbooks. There were even instructions posted on this forum on how to install it. Problem is/was, though, that no one could get it working well on the Playbook.
    10-06-14 06:28 PM
    Many people have had BB10 working on their Playbooks. There were even instructions posted on this forum on how to install it. Problem is/was, though, that no one could get it working well on the Playbook.
    I wonder if that's where we are re: Blend on the PB. Can the hardware support an updated runtime and fully functional Blend? If it can't then complaining is pointless.

Actually complaining is pointless since BlackBerry either will or won't give it to us.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 07:29 PM
    True, complaining is useless because it falls on deaf ears. However the things I listed above I'm guessing would take very little engineering.
    Back at BlackBerry hq someone must have pointed out that these features didn't work on the PlayBook and someone as actively said they didn't want it to.
    What would it take take to get these things working. Someone's made the effort to make it work on Android and they haven't spent a penny with BlackBerry. They made the effort to get these things working on BBOS.
    Not sure of Blends requirements but the others would just be part of Bridge. Annoying when I'm sitting on the playbook to have to grab my phone for these type of chats.

Blackberry need to start talking about it again and stop pretending this never happened, they made plenty of noise when it was released.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 02:34 AM
    Wow, this is an actual thread that happened...

My PlayBook has just about enough power these days to act as a decent alarm clock.

Posted via CB10
    3800 likes this.
    10-07-14 02:39 AM
    First. To all of those who are looking at this from a nickels and dimes perspective, let's be honest. You guys are being a little narrow-minded. Look at what a profits mentality Wall Street in 2008 going into 2009. Running a successful business, company or enterprise requires a little more finesse. So while you guys are stating a single, albeit relevant fact, it's a bit if silly one in reference to this thread. If you're so set in your ways, then you don't have to come back to the BlackBerry PlayBook section of the forums.

Second. For those of you who are reiterating the "EOL" argument. You've been heard. You guys are also dead set in your ways so you don't have to come back to this section either.

Personally, I've never posted in any other section of these forum other than in the BlackBerry PlayBook section because it is a device that I use regularly and I quite like it aside from obvious shortcomings. I and other are interested parties so we come here to discuss.

We could be wasting our time (we're not), but it's clear that you other guys kind of are.

The Relevant Facts in this Forum are As Follows:

- Blackberry Playbook is still the only tablet listed in Blackberry.com.
    - Blackberry Blend is being released on all major platforms... sans Blackberry's only tablet.
    - The BlackBerry PlayBook has been a fiasco of immense proportions.
    - Blackberry has swept it under the rug as if it has never happened.
    - Blackberry Playbook owners feel as though they don't exist when it comes to company that most of them rather like.

The bottom line is that people are upset and you know what this forum does exist for people to talk about anything having to do with this one particular device, the Blackberry Playbook. BlackBerry did nothing to acknowledge there failure other than a failing CEO's message of apology, which doesn't really amount to much given that hour was ousted a few months later. John Chen is the new CEO and as far as I know he has made no mention of the device. It's funny that man intent in changing the image of BlackBerry, it's make up, it's structure, and profitability, has made no mention of device that his company dropped like a rotten egg, yet still advertises on their website. I would expect more of Of him especially given his past professional history and his successes at Blackberry. In my mind, Crackberry is one of, if not the leading Blackberry blog and enthusiast Web site on the web and if I were CEO I think I might find the few minutes necessary to take a glance at the site and yes, gasp, even the forums to get a beat on how core customers are feeling. I would then take the time to find the way to make things just a little right. That's what I would do. That's called good business gentlemen and ladies. It's about being up front with your customers. All companies mess up sometimes. The really good ones are the ones that own up to it and do something to maintain their image.

In short, I think a lot of us have expected more. Now, I still like Blackberry and quite frankly, BB10 devices are work-horses. I've used iPhone and Android Devices, but they just don't get the job done. Hopefully, the company keeps on its course and the Playbook will just become a distant memory... but better yet maybe Blackberry could try to make things a little more "right" Playbook owners and users.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) and AWB70 like this.
    10-07-14 03:36 AM
    Everybody that owns a Playbook, do yourself a favour.

Take it behind a barn, and shoot it. Multiple times. Then bury it.

Then move on with your life.
    10-07-14 04:54 AM
    ^ exactly what he said^+1 or whatever
    I like Chen don't get me wrong, I also like my PlayBook and I love my Z10. I'm not blinkered into thinking anything will get done.

I hope Chen sticks to his game plan and continues with the niche market which I am part of. It worked once before, my first BlackBerry a 7100 I got because it came with a certain prestige. Owning one said something about you, you were a person that got things done even while sitting on the toilet. Fair enough other devices might be able to tune a piano but as someone once said about tech, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    Hopefully the passport will be the eye brow raising device that makes other professional people think I want one of them. I can get a toy for when I want to toy.
    OMG we can finally start calling a BlackBerry a tool again. Doesn't seem that long ago you would be chastised in these forums for mentioning tools not toys.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 04:59 AM
    First. To all of those who are looking at this from a nickels and dimes perspective, let's be honest. You guys are being a little narrow-minded. Look at what a profits mentality Wall Street in 2008 going into 2009. Running a successful business, company or enterprise requires a little more finesse. So while you guys are stating a single, albeit relevant fact, it's a bit if silly one in reference to this thread. If you're so set in your ways, then you don't have to come back to the BlackBerry PlayBook section of the forums.

Second. For those of you who are reiterating the "EOL" argument. You've been heard. You guys are also dead set in your ways so you don't have to come back to this section either.

Personally, I've never posted in any other section of these forum other than in the BlackBerry PlayBook section because it is a device that I use regularly and I quite like it aside from obvious shortcomings. I and other are interested parties so we come here to discuss.

We could be wasting our time (we're not), but it's clear that you other guys kind of are.

The Relevant Facts in this Forum are As Follows:

- Blackberry Playbook is still the only tablet listed in Blackberry.com.
    - Blackberry Blend is being released on all major platforms... sans Blackberry's only tablet.
    - The BlackBerry PlayBook has been a fiasco of immense proportions.
    - Blackberry has swept it under the rug as if it has never happened.
    - Blackberry Playbook owners feel as though they don't exist when it comes to company that most of them rather like.

The bottom line is that people are upset and you know what this forum does exist for people to talk about anything having to do with this one particular device, the Blackberry Playbook. BlackBerry did nothing to acknowledge there failure other than a failing CEO's message of apology, which doesn't really amount to much given that hour was ousted a few months later. John Chen is the new CEO and as far as I know he has made no mention of the device. It's funny that man intent in changing the image of BlackBerry, it's make up, it's structure, and profitability, has made no mention of device that his company dropped like a rotten egg, yet still advertises on their website. I would expect more of Of him especially given his past professional history and his successes at Blackberry. In my mind, Crackberry is one of, if not the leading Blackberry blog and enthusiast Web site on the web and if I were CEO I think I might find the few minutes necessary to take a glance at the site and yes, gasp, even the forums to get a beat on how core customers are feeling. I would then take the time to find the way to make things just a little right. That's what I would do. That's called good business gentlemen and ladies. It's about being up front with your customers. All companies mess up sometimes. The really good ones are the ones that own up to it and do something to maintain their image.

In short, I think a lot of us have expected more. Now, I still like Blackberry and quite frankly, BB10 devices are work-horses. I've used iPhone and Android Devices, but they just don't get the job done. Hopefully, the company keeps on its course and the Playbook will just become a distant memory... but better yet maybe Blackberry could try to make things a little more "right" Playbook owners and users.

Posted via CB10
    I was replying to this post btw, someone nipped in between.
    The other posts saying burn it or it barely runs an alarm **** are just a waste of every body's time including the posters.
    I spent all last night on mine doing bits and pieces of work while browsing, chatting and posting to social feeds. If that's an alarm clock then give the playbook to someone with more enthusiasm for life and get an alarm clock.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 05:04 AM
    The other posts saying burn it or it barely runs an alarm **** are just a waste of every body's time including the posters.
    I spent all last night on mine doing bits and pieces of work while browsing, chatting and posting to social feeds. If that's an alarm clock then give the playbook to someone with more enthusiasm for life and get an alarm clock.
    I owned a playbook for a few months. not only were the OS and all apps so sluggish, outdated, and feature-less it had the 2nd worst virtual keyboard I've ever used(the worst being a $60 android tablet). sounds like you had a brutally inefficient night.

you want blend on a tablet? go out and buy a cheap android tablet and install blend. now you have a tablet that's 100 times better than the playbook could ever be, and it has blend. not to mention the other 5 billion apps in the Google Play store.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 05:43 AM
    Then I just need a piano to tune and a good reason to need 4.9999 billion pointless apps which I already have access to on my z10 and so far downloaded about six. I think so anyway, I haven't used them.

Bring out an app that actually has some advantage to my hardware and I'm interested. Wait a minute, blackberry have, or haven't depends how you look at it.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 09:15 AM
    Blackberry isn't about having a massive collection of apps. I don't know about anyone else, but I only download and use a few core apps even in my other non-Blackberry devices. That's one of the advantages of BB10 in my opinion. Sure, the app store could be slightly more robust, but my Z10 and even my Playbook to a lesser extent are far more cohesive and comprehensive packages than what you'll find elsewhere. In that way these devices are easier to approach.

You pick up and Android device or an iPhone and suddenly you're distracted by all the bells and whistles: the numerous apps, the extravagant (and sometimes over the too features), and distracting notifications. With BB10 and even the Playbook, you find all of the notifications in one place. It's succinct. Blackberry's make it easy to do things, whereas Android and iPhone make it easy to do everything, but what you should actually be doing. The Passport's mantra is a major selling point in my opinion. It's a device for people who are looking to live their life, not bury their heads in a phone.

I get it. There are a lot of you guys out there who have moved on pass the Playbook. If it doesn't suit your needs, then that's fine. There are plenty of alternatives out there. I own most of them too. I still enjoy using my Playbook though. I have my browser, my email and messages, my calendar, Evernote, Linkedin, and my contacts listed the on the first row. It's an easy and comfortable device for me to pick up and to actually do something with. All I'm saying is that if you've moved on and Playbook is a distant memory to you, then more power to you do just that. If some people want to talk about here though because they still use it then by all means let them talk and discuss. I think Blackberry handled this product like a clumsy start up and should do something to make amends, but I have no intention of actively pushing for a resolution that has fallen on death ears for months going on a year. If you want to sell your Playbook to try to make a profit before it's worth nothing than go ahead. I'll continue to use mine until it's obsolete for my purposes and then I might keep it as an historical artifact, only to look back years from now to say, "Gee, Blackberry has definitely bounced back from this mess."

If people are still pushing for an update at that point... then yes, maybe I'll echo the the posts above, "Let it go."

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 09:42 PM
    Very Good points, I agree with pretty much all of that and the PlayBook for the moment fills my needs. I'm not looking or campaigning for any improvements to what I have more compatibility with BlackBerry products.

So annoying when things get made for rival devices. I can live with all the things but BBM And bridge should be as fully featured as any device. Channels, group chats. This would be so simple to do for BlackBerry with very little time and effort and cost for that matter. Most of the work is just making the phone let the playbook do it.

Considering playbook users have already had a rough ride it's like another slap in the face being constantly told about things for everyone else except you.

Just want them to spare a thought. It's is after all their own os.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 03:12 AM
    The PlayBook screen is 1024*600.

That alone is such a severely limiting factor, I'm frankly amazed that anyone expects to see something like Blend ported to work on it.

PlayBook isn't just last gen. It's virtually prehistoric now.

Accept it for what it is or bin it and buy something else.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 03:28 AM
    Blend granted I can live without. Having BBM over bridge mirroring my z10 or my 9800 would do me albeit unlikely to happen.
    If they can do work on a legacy device to add groups and channels can't see why not on the PB.
    Sometimes I sit at night on the playbook and have to setup a multi person chat with everyone in the group.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 05:00 AM
    The only thing a playbook is good for is for the kids to play games on, watch a movie or listen music. The browser is as fast as the browser on a Chinese tablet running Android 1.2. So give it to your kids and move on.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-09-14 09:58 AM
    Bought a new tescos android hudl seventy five pounds quad core 2 gig ram
    10-09-14 11:19 AM
140 ... 3456