02-15-14 11:04 AM
62 123
tools
    I guess I'm attempting to understand this "since BB abandoned the PB, I've abandoned mines too" mentality. What were any of you using your PlayBook for, that you feel you can't currently use it for now, other than the fact that you're trying to keep up with what everyone else is doing?

There's still currently not a tablet that offers any of the out-of-the-box features that the PlayBook offers. I personally own a Kindle Fire, Surface Tab, a Galaxy Tab, and two generic android tablets, in addition to my beloved PB...only the Surface truly offers any sort of "out class" credibility. I can't even call the Surface a true tablet, because it's running a desktop OS. It's a computer that feels like a tablet. And the generic tabs, with their cheesy TFT screens have only one real "up" on the other tablets. They actually have USBotg WITH the dongle.

From what I read, in most of the threads centered around the PB, it basically boils down to not really having a real world use for a tablet in the first place. Only a small minority utilize the PlayBook to near maximum effective use - multimedia, business and presentations, sideload and game play, etc. I use my PlayBook for work. With LAN File Explorer, I can connect to my work PC, access service manuals, write and print invoices, and add images to estimates. I can go a step further using Bridge, access my home server through RFA with my Z10, grab a forgotten file, then view that file on my PlayBook. I can go into greater detail, but you get my point.

I feel like too many users just buy gadgets for the novelty of possessing one, and not having any actual reason for its use. BlackBerry "abandoning" the PlayBook is scapegoatism for realizing you had no real reason for owning one. Shoot, the battery life ALONE still currently outshines most tabs on the market. How's that for an old tab. Well, let me plug my PB into HDMI, fire up ShowBox, and watch Escape in HD. Later...
    02-09-14 04:04 PM
    I still use my PlayBook, mostly as a bedside browser, and for that purpose it's still very good. It was a gift given to me a few months after it came out. I don't really need a tablet. I wouldn't have bought it for myself.

I don't expect to see a lot of updates for it, but it would be nice to get a crumb now and then. But I suppose there's literally no one working on it, which I can understand.

At first I regretted the money that was spent on it, but I didn't want to be a **** about a gift. But three years later I have to say the PlayBook owes me nothing. It's nowhere near as useful as any smartphone but for what it is it has held up well.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Mecca EL and milo53 like this.
    02-09-14 04:19 PM
    Paid 125 for a 32gig pb we use ours for light surfing but it's mainly used in the kitchen for recipes.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 04:21 PM
    People say they use it to browse. Really? the default browser is slow as hell. Origami on booster mode is okay, but what about when you need javascript enabled? It becomes a little annoying to keep pressing the button on and off.

HDMI out? Really? Thats the major thing for the PB? What about the whole point of being able to just watch the programme on your device. Consider this. You go to all the effort to download the movie, move in to your PB and then hook it to a TV you magically have and then watch it on the big screen. In the mean time, most normal folk would buy a 10 DVD player and pay 5 for the DVD, so a 15 purchase. The DVD, if you look hard enough, could probably be found just a little bit more expensive then the online copy and will come with subtitles properly synced and extra features.

Its time to move on. The PB is good, but its not as great as people make out. Its the same argument with that 15 year old TV producing "good quality" does what it says on the tin programming and the owner too stubborn to move onto HD or even Ultra HD.

Here is another thing too. The new nexus has that hdmi output. So if you really needed that, there yah go, + you get the app store.

The Playbook is now only used by people who find it "does what it says on the tin" which is a perfectly reasonable reason to use it. But don't for one second think you should be recommending this product to anyone, nor not having one eye on the competition. When people seem to go out of their way to find a good use for a product, it can be a little cringworthy sometimes when you know there are other products that simply do a better job.
    02-09-14 05:25 PM
    LOL wtf?
    Some of these posts are getting insane. This is like such old news - this stuff left with Thor.
    Life is not fair get used to it.
    Ps I use mine every day for both business and leisure so you must be working on some high level **** if you can't use yours
    Mecca EL and CerveloJohn like this.
    02-09-14 05:34 PM
    lolol OP doing the new journalist/blogger 'dirty' trick---write a sensational headline in hope of people becoming curious.....
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-09-14 07:49 PM
    Use mine every day - in fact i'm listening to some 'good old country music' over the internet on it as we speak.

I use it to video chat to my brother in scotland and my parents just down the road.

I browse the net wih it, have an occasional game wih it ( sonic racing is my current game du jour ) and tomorrow i'm going to be using it to update the comapny asset list as I walk around the buildings.

I have it bridged to my BBRY phone.

The only real complaint(s) I have is that there never was a video store in the UK, the software store in the UK is dreadfully overpriced and BBRY really should throw playbook owners a bone by updating the browser, turning on the USB OTG and including the updated android runtime.

The playbook exeperience is'nt perfect, but is still better than android and apple, and I just wish BBRY would realise this and put BB10 on a generic 10" tablet - it wouldn't even cost them hardware R&D.
    Mecca EL and CerveloJohn like this.
    02-10-14 03:52 AM
    Use mine frequently for convenience. Does what I want. If I need more I use my laptop.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-10-14 07:47 AM
    I am writing this from my Playbook, which I enjoy more each time I use it. For me the Playbook is a utility, a life necessity, to accomplish my regular tasks (email, banking, weather, storing photos/videos), the multi-tasking is excellent as are the speakers. I got mine in July 2012, new, 16gig, with a 3 year warranty + tax from the Source Warehouse Store in Barrie, Ont. For $170.00 Can. So for me where can I buy a tablet of this quality for that cost. I also got the HDMI cable + the Rapid Charger, which makes the Playbook run much faster with a constant, full WiFi signal. So when I begin. Connecting my Playbook to a tv or monitor, I shall use the full potdntial of my Playbook.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-10-14 10:48 AM
    Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 01:37 PM
    The last update to the PlayBook OS was Sept 2013. I don't have a history of buying RIM products (the Z10 was my first), but it would seem very odd to me for any company, including RIM/BB (despite the trouble they're in) to totally stop supporting a product introduced only a couple of years ago.

Hopefully now that Mr Chen has taken control of the ship, and that individuals like myself are still purchasing the PB, we'll see something in 2014.

Fingers very well crossed...
    02-10-14 02:34 PM
    Desktop browsing experience and hdmi out while traveling. Try that with an iPad...
    Don't need HDMI, wireless IPad-TV.
    02-10-14 10:17 PM
    The last update to the PlayBook OS was Sept 2013. I don't have a history of buying RIM products (the Z10 was my first), but it would seem very odd to me for any company, including RIM/BB (despite the trouble they're in) to totally stop supporting a product introduced only a couple of years ago.

Hopefully now that Mr Chen has taken control of the ship, and that individuals like myself are still purchasing the PB, we'll see something in 2014.

Fingers very well crossed...
    They did kill it, and fired employees associated with Playbook. It's now a dead product with no support, we are on our own.
    02-10-14 10:19 PM
    Still like my PB. Comes in handy occasionally when the kids need a change from all other devices.
    02-10-14 10:46 PM
    I bought a Kindle Fire when it first came out because it was supposed to have this fast browser and I mainly wanted it for surfing the web. I was not impressed and since, being in Canada, I could not buy anything for it or even download free games I gave up on it and bought a 64Gb Playbook on eBay for $300, with case. I have been quite happy with it. After 2 years it still works flawlessly and battery is still good. Use it almost every day as it is easire to browse than with my laptop. Are there some issues? Well the lack of certain apps is a problem, specifically marine navigation apps. So I recently bought a Nexus 7. I now have electronic charts for Canada/USA and Carribean/South America for $110. That is pretty cool. But I don't think the browser works any better than my Playbook and there is an irritation that the Playbook does not suffer from, namely the "back button". I hold the Nexus in one hand from the bottom and if I'm not carefull where I put my fingers I hit one of the three "buttons" sending me back to the previous page, the home screen or a list of previous applications. Swiping on the Playbook works better. So the Playbook might be a little outdated and lacking in some ways but still quite useable. I wouldn't pay $600 for one but under $200 might be reasonable.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-10-14 10:53 PM
    I am in the same ball park. Have mine bridged to my Q10 and couldn't be happier.
    Me too
    02-11-14 03:57 AM
    Don't need HDMI, wireless IPad-TV.
    Really! As in iPad-TV in hotel rooms? Dude, get back to earth. How many of your friends even have the iPad-TV talk less of hotels installing them. With the PlayBook, ALL TVs with HDMI are good to go.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-11-14 04:03 AM
    I bought my PlayBook because it was marked down to $120.00. I like my PlayBook and use it a lot. I have an Acer (Android) and I much rather use my PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-11-14 04:14 AM
    It's hard to love my Playbook because it refuses to turn on.
    LOL.
    02-11-14 05:15 AM
    I still have my pb, I love it so much

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 08:16 AM
    Using my playbook now at work and everyday, I sideloaded Flipbook yesterday and was so happy until it stopped working haa crap it only works the first time you install it then next time you want to use Flipbook it sits on a white screen haaa! It would have redeemed the playbook so much
    02-11-14 08:59 AM
    New Bridge update, with enhancements. That used to be an indication of a new PBOS on the way. Why continue to update Bridge, if BB has "abandoned" the PB?
    02-11-14 09:02 AM
    New Bridge update, with enhancements. That used to be an indication of a new PBOS on the way. Why continue to update Bridge, if BB has "abandoned" the PB?
    Perhaps the recent 3 day outage of pb server was an indication as well One could only hope.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-11-14 09:13 AM
    I love my playbook!!!

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and bambinoitaliano like this.
    02-11-14 09:31 AM
    My Q10 and my PlayBook, were out on the road for 11 hours yesterday doing my normal work routine. Neither 1 needing a charge for when I got home still had 50 percent on the Q10 and 30 percent on the playbook. Also got the new BlackBerry bridge update, and was pleasantly surprised to see when my phone rang. It showed up on my PlayBook in which I hit the button and my phone picked up in which I was wearing a headset. So is the PlayBook useless? Hell no, I say far from it. Still has capabilities no other tablet has.
    02-11-14 09:51 AM
62 123