Well I got a fairly quick response from Bell Media who handles the Canadian media coverage of the Olympics.

Hi Sterling,

Thank you for your feedback. We have increased our digital offerings significantly since Vancouver 2010, but we were not able to develop an app for every single platform. Playbook users can visit ctvolympics.ca through the device browser and find a version of the site which will deliver a comprehensive Olympic experience, including all on-demand video.

Thanks for your understanding.

Laura
    Bell Media
    I can't check right now, but can someone please check London 2012 Olympics - Athletes, Videos | Results & Schedules - CTV and see if they can stream live content now.
    07-30-12 12:24 PM
    Well I got a fairly quick response from Bell Media who handles the Canadian media coverage of the Olympics.

I can't check right now, but can someone please check London 2012 Olympics - Athletes, Videos | Results & Schedules - CTV and see if they can stream live content now.
    Well the videos do work now but play in a "spererate player" but the live video still doesn't work. And by seperate player I mean this..

07-30-12 12:42 PM
    So because of my email (maybe) we got a quick fix solution... hmm I'll have to check it out tonight for Prime Time Olympics (7pm)
    luqman24 likes this.
    07-30-12 12:44 PM
    What I don't understand is why they can't just repackage the Android app and just submit it to app world since they can't "develop an app for every single platform"
    07-30-12 12:46 PM
    So because of my email (maybe) we got a quick fix solution... hmm I'll have to check it out tonight for Prime Time Olympics (7pm)
    Seems to be not working on a few videos I guess. Tried to watch some highlights from an event and I got that "download the app" message again
    07-30-12 12:52 PM
    Because all non authorized streams get taken down immediately and the CTV's olympic website requires silverlight to stream live event or any video for that matter. And when you try to stream, it tells you to download the app when there isnt even an app made for the Playbook. So I understand why the OP's pissed as I would too if I were away from home and unable to watch it on TV. Damn u Bell!!!!!!
    www.vipbox.tv my friend. You can watch virtually every sporting event worlwide live!!! For free too
    07-30-12 01:22 PM
    I've been able to view the Olympics just fine in the U.S. via NBC's site. However, it does ask you to sign in via either your cable or satellite provider.
    In Canada we can't watch NBC's stream. We could with a VPN, but you are saying we'd need to login via a subscriber anyway. CTV has great coverage on their web site, but the live streaming won't work on Playbook, nor will the streaming in their app.

Will the BBC streams work in Canada without a VPN?
    07-30-12 01:53 PM
    In Canada we can't watch NBC's stream. We could with a VPN, but you are saying we'd need to login via a subscriber anyway. CTV has great coverage on their web site, but the live streaming won't work on Playbook, nor will the streaming in their app.

Will the BBC streams work in Canada without a VPN?
    Yes it will. I was watching the opening ceremony and a couple of other events via BBC iPlayer and it worked flawlessly.
    07-30-12 02:43 PM
    This pseudo-outrage is misplaced at best.

Internet Speeds Around the World [infographic]

Devs aren't to blame here. There's no point to developing any live video streaming app that will inevitably crash, and no developer who wants to stay in business will willingly take that hit to their reputation. The infrastructure in North America simply isn't there to support the demand. Devs know it, networks know it, carriers know it. The last two won't lift a finger to improve things either, they'd rather squeeze blood from a stone by charging more for lesser services.
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    07-30-12 03:09 PM
    Is there a point to this thread other then to bash owners of PB, and while I'm at it, why has this thread lasted beyond the OP's post?
    07-30-12 03:10 PM
    Is there a point to this thread other then to bash owners of PB, and while I'm at it, why has this thread lasted beyond the OP's post?
    In my case, I was legitimately looking for a solution to watch live events on my Playbook in Canada. Id normally watch on the CTV site, and it's not working correctly.

Lugman, I noticed you said it will work via the iPlayer... do you mean the iPhone app? I am still looking for Playbook solution within Canada...
    07-30-12 03:14 PM
    Oh, he's back and in top form, too!
    07-30-12 03:28 PM
    In my case, I was legitimately looking for a solution to watch live events on my Playbook in Canada. Id normally watch on the CTV site, and it's not working correctly.

Lugman, I noticed you said it will work via the iPlayer... do you mean the iPhone app? I am still looking for Playbook solution within Canada...
    Well I'm using an anonymous DNS server which is how I'm able to watch the UK feed of the Olympics on my Playbook and I don't think it will work with a Canadian ip address unless u are using some sort of an anonymous proxy/DNS server just like you would stream US content in Canada.
    07-30-12 04:12 PM
    Unfortunately, this just goes to remind me how creepy the blackberry developers are. I've watched a couple videos of Blaze and the boys doing their split-screen updates, and man, those guys are so creepy.

Look, I don't make apps. Why? Because I don't. Does that take away my right to complain? Absolutely not! I'm doubting you control aircraft, but if I vectored your jet into another aircraft, I would presume you would complain and you would have every right. LOL.

Having no Olympic apps is a huge gaff. Of course, most playbook users wouldn't buy it because their already low self-esteem would take a hit watching extraordinary individuals put that much effort into something.
    I know your frustration. The two main OS out there are IOS and Android. QNX is better then both combined but is not a massive money maker, so developers are very picky developing for QNX.

Im still waiting for an official Skype app. Skype turned into a real crap app since microsoft took over.
    07-30-12 04:33 PM
    Well the iPhone app has just been updated and all the video including live streams are working fine. Not sure about the blackberry update but I'm guessing it'll e released soon.
    07-30-12 04:50 PM
    I agree with op, not about the "most playbook users wouldn't buy it because their already low self-esteem would take a hit watching extraordinary individuals put that much effort into something." part (that part your being a j3rk) but I want an Olympics pb app why should iOS and Android get one but not us!
    07-30-12 08:26 PM
    watching live on my ipad right now? seems to work really well!
    07-31-12 03:08 PM
    The BBC Android app converted for PB works quite well. I have it on my PB. I posted it in another thread here about the lack of Olympics apps for the PB. Although I dunno if it'd work outside of the UK without a VPN.

But I don't really understand the first post. In what way does the lack of an Olympics app mean that all Blackberry developers are "creepy"? I fail to see any connection between these two things. What is it about not developing an Olympics app that is creepy?
    luqman24 likes this.
    07-31-12 03:33 PM
    The BBC Android app converted for PB works quite well. I have it on my PB. I posted it in another thread here about the lack of Olympics apps for the PB. Although I dunno if it'd work outside of the UK without a VPN.

But I don't really understand the first post. In what way does the lack of an Olympics app mean that all Blackberry developers are "creepy"? I fail to see any connection between these two things. What is it about not developing an Olympics app that is creepy?
    I have no idea, and it's a shame. The lack of means to watch the olympics on the Playbook (at least in my country) is a valid topic, but it doesn't need to be posted in such a way.
    07-31-12 03:55 PM

I'm using a VPN but have no idea how to sideload android apps, care to tell me how you did it? :P
    07-31-12 05:20 PM
    Well, here's the ZIP of the two Android apps I converted (BBC and the official Olympics one - for me, only the BBC one worked): http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...vertedapks.zip

And here's a guide for sideloading apps: How To: Sideload Android apps on PlayBook OS v2.0 for use with the Android App Player | CrackBerry.com

It's not too difficult, but if you run into problems, let me know and I'll try to help if I can.
    luqman24 likes this.
    08-01-12 06:01 AM
    Well, here's the ZIP of the two Android apps I converted (BBC and the official Olympics one - for me, only the BBC one worked): http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...vertedapks.zip

And here's a guide for sideloading apps: How To: Sideload Android apps on PlayBook OS v2.0 for use with the Android App Player | CrackBerry.com

It's not too difficult, but if you run into problems, let me know and I'll try to help if I can.
    The app works but if I try to play a video it tells me that my device isn't supported. Is that supposed to happen?
    08-01-12 07:12 PM
    The app works but if I try to play a video it tells me that my device isn't supported. Is that supposed to happen?
    Hmm, not sure if I ever actually tried that personally. It's possible video doesn't work. I'll check now.

EDIT: Nope, video isn't working for me either. It probably needs Flash, which isn't available in Android apps on the Playbook.
    Last edited by SifJar; 08-02-12 at 06:17 AM.
    08-02-12 06:13 AM
    08-02-12 06:26 AM
    This pseudo-outrage is misplaced at best.

Internet Speeds Around the World [infographic]

Devs aren't to blame here. There's no point to developing any live video streaming app that will inevitably crash, and no developer who wants to stay in business will willingly take that hit to their reputation. The infrastructure in North America simply isn't there to support the demand. Devs know it, networks know it, carriers know it. The last two won't lift a finger to improve things either, they'd rather squeeze blood from a stone by charging more for lesser services.
    Well I shouldn't be surprised.Thanks for the link.
    08-03-12 03:24 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD