And to think RIM a Canadian company has to bow down to the CRTC. The CRTC should be bowing down to them as RIM would be giving so much exposure to Canadian talent.
    01-10-12 08:24 AM
    The Harper government did axe the Wheat Board. Maybe the CRTC is on the chopping block as well. We can only hope.
    01-10-12 08:29 AM
    And to think RIM a Canadian company has to bow down to the CRTC. The CRTC should be bowing down to them as RIM would be giving so much exposure to Canadian talent.
    IIRC, the press release said the video store would initially be available in US only upon OS2.0 release, with Canada to follow behind shortly... I can't look for the details at the moment, but really... you waited this long for OS2.0, whats another month or so for one extra feature... seriously.
    01-10-12 08:31 AM
    It takes time to work out all the licensing. It makes business sense to get the store out as soon as possible with the biggest market possible which would be the US.
    01-10-12 08:32 AM
    SO the option is to release the store now to the US customers, where their market is overall the worst, then when the everything is in order, release elsewhere around the world, vs holding back in the US and not releasing anywhere.

Yeah real stupid move by rim
    01-10-12 08:33 AM
    SO the option is to release the store now to the US customers, where their market is overall the worst, then when the everything is in order, release elsewhere around the world, vs holding back in the US and not releasing anywhere.

Yeah real stupid move by rim
    Actually, they negotiate US rights first because they have the most popular content.

Unless you want a storefront filled with "Being Erica" reruns...
    01-10-12 08:38 AM
    Also, if you see this other thread that was previously posted where the OP asked for clarification of details, rather then ranting and crying without knowing the details, you'll get a clearer answer...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...re-os2-687303/
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-10-12 08:38 AM
    I don't know how these things work but I would imagine RIM will release it when they can where they can. I doubt they are holding back to anger any group of people.
    01-10-12 08:41 AM
    I don't know how these things work but I would imagine RIM will release it when they can where they can. I doubt they are holding back to anger any group of people.
    Isn't there a problem with Netflix licensing too? US distributors dislike Canada's rather lax regulation of file sharing. RIM would be crazy to ignore the US market until distribution rights are agreed for Canada. It's unfortunate for Canadian movie watchers but nevertheless a fact of life.
    01-10-12 08:52 AM
    This might be too far off topic but I'm curious now how these digital video stores work.
    Would RIM have to buy the library and store it or do they piggyback another service.
    01-10-12 09:00 AM
    Isn't there a problem with Netflix licensing too? US distributors dislike Canada's rather lax regulation of file sharing. RIM would be crazy to ignore the US market until distribution rights are agreed for Canada. It's unfortunate for Canadian movie watchers but nevertheless a fact of life.
    It isn't a regulation thing. Canada now has its own equivalent to the DMCA, so our laws are just as strict as the US ones.

It's all in the hands of the distributors and rights holders, and the negotiations are tedious; remember, we're roughly 10% of the US population but it costs about the same to negotiate these rights.

The first year iTunes distributed video in Canada it was pretty much CBC episodes, Pixar trailers, and National Film Board shorts.

Blame the lawyers. Our government has nothing to do with it.
    01-10-12 09:03 AM
    Blame the people who owns the rights to the media being distributed, i.e. the movie studios. This is why all streaming services have different content for different countries. Some countries that oppress their people will want the service blocked by RIM all together (wouldn't want the people being able to look at questionable stuff). US is a much larger target market, so it makes sense to get it rolled out here first to try to ignite sales further of the Playbook. I'm sure that Canada and the UK and Europe will be come online shortly there after.
    01-10-12 09:11 AM
    it seems like just an operational thing, one step at a time. would you complain to Walmart if they build a story not quite in your neighborhood as yet? get a grip people...
    01-10-12 09:11 AM
    Well, worldwide releases are ALWAYS better than rollingwaves, but RIM cannot get any lawsuits from movie companies, can they??

Stupidwould be not to plan for worldwide release within the span of 2012. By 2013, the world should be able to be getting video from tbe store.

If RIM still cant see this, just sell the company and retire.
    01-10-12 09:27 AM
    Boouuuuuhouuuuu no skype, no netflix, no movie store in Canada... OS2 will suck, I hate RIM, they suck, I wish they would go bankrupt, I'm selling my playbook, cancelling my crackberry account, that's it RIM, I'm getting an iPad, I'm done with your horrible useless piece of junk device, you asked for it!
    01-10-12 09:52 AM
    I agree with the comments on the movie studios. I find this is a pervasive issue in Canada and has nothing to do with RIM. Netflix Canada is drastically poorer in quality than the US. Hulu is non existent.

I run into multiple instances all the time where can't watch content because I'm outside the US.
    01-10-12 10:05 AM
    Boouuuuuhouuuuu no skype, no netflix, no movie store in Canada... OS2 will suck, I hate RIM, they suck, I wish they would go bankrupt, I'm selling my playbook, cancelling my crackberry account, that's it RIM, I'm getting an iPad, I'm done with your horrible useless piece of junk device, you asked for it!
    Oh for the love of.... It is not RIM's fault that the video store is not coming to Canada right away. It is Canada's own rules that are getting in the way. If you want to complain; then write to your local goverment officials.

And this problem extends beyond RIM: Sony's Vita will have netflix at launch - ONLY in the United States; the Digital Comic app for the original PSP never showed up in Canada; the amount of material on Netflix in Canada pales in comparison considering what is available in the United States. Why? Because of our laws. This is the not the fault of the company; it is purely a goverment regulatory problem.

To say that the Playbook sucks because it doesnt have a video store in Canada and blaming RIM for it simply shows your own ignorance and inadequacies. Makes me wonder if you drive a sports card in an attempt to compensate for something
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    01-10-12 10:09 AM
    Oh for the love of.... It is not RIM's fault that the video store is not coming to Canada right away. It is Canada's own rules that are getting in the way. If you want to complain; then write to your local goverment officials.

And this problem extends beyond RIM: Sony's Vita will have netflix at launch - ONLY in the United States; the Digital Comic app for the original PSP never showed up in Canada; the amount of material on Netflix in Canada pales in comparison considering what is available in the United States. Why? Because of our laws. This is the not the fault of the company; it is purely a goverment regulatory problem.

To say that the Playbook sucks because it doesnt have a video store in Canada and blaming RIM for it simply shows your own ignorance and inadequacies. Makes me wonder if you drive a sports card in an attempt to compensate for something
    As another poster pointed out, regulations meant to appease the distributors have recently passed into law. But I think that you are absolutely correct about the excuses that the distributors use to explain their reluctance to server smaller markets. And I share your contempt for various posters who seem to thrive on blaming RIM for all sorts of things that are utterly beyond their control.
    01-10-12 10:18 AM
    LOL.. too bad the drama queens won't recognize themselves when they see this.
    01-10-12 10:23 AM

I'm fairly certain the commenter was deliberately exaggerating.
    yunvi, Thunderbuck and hpjrt like this.
    01-10-12 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD