I am not surprised at today's announcement about the end of support for Playbook OS 2.1 next month. I use my PB on a regular basis and enjoy it very much. However, it is about to become less safe for web activities over time. I doubt it has the target of hackers like Android, Windows, etc. but it is never good to have an O/S that is not being patched from future security issues.

I know there is another thread with the writer saying they were told BB 10 would come to the Playbook soon. I would think they would make that announcement on or before the one about ending 2.1 support, so I do not have much hope for that.

I curious what other forum readers think about this. I love my PB and can accept its current function but wonder how long it will be safe to use on the web. I have read the articles about the end of Windows XP support, and there are some similar elements here minus the user and app baselines.
    03-31-14 10:20 PM
    Perhaps third-party browsers may be the way forward if the stock browser becomes too unsafe.
    03-31-14 10:25 PM
    At some point it doesnt matter. No company continues updates for products til the end of time. You have to upgrade to newer versions to keep with the times. Windows XP faces the same fate in less than a week and I am sure many people still use it
    kbz1960 and Carl Estes like this.
    03-31-14 10:33 PM
    What do people with WebOS devices do for security now? (There's still some out there. lol) Where's Derek? ;-)
    03-31-14 10:39 PM
    Hmm well I suppose we could look at it as an opportunity to root it through Web exploits! Think positively.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 01:13 AM
    At some point it doesnt matter. No company continues updates for products til the end of time. You have to upgrade to newer versions to keep with the times. Windows XP faces the same fate in less than a week and I am sure many people still use it
    Yeah but, if they can't keep up the software updates, how about updating the device. At least windows have newer versions coming out. Just give us a new, updated PlayBook. It is a bit rough stopping the support without the option of updating the device. I have a brand new top of the line 128gb ipad air, but still use my PlayBook daily. The ipad is only really used for games. Much prefer my PlayBook
    04-01-14 05:00 AM
    The target audience is much too small to bother with exploits. The point behind such work is to get the widest possible distribution since only a very tiny fraction will work. When there are billions of devices out there, this small fraction can get big results. With only two million PlayBooks out there, the payoff would not be worth the effort. I'd be more concerned with a device on XP after next week than the PlayBook.
    04-01-14 05:30 AM
    If there are hackers that spending resources, valuable time and talents to hack PlayBook - they are more insane than those users who keeps hoping for BB10... sorry for that, but it is true...

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 05:45 AM
    Windows XP was supported for more than three years before Microsoft dropped support for it. In general most companies support their products for a minimum of 6 years before they end support for these said products. BlackBerry as usual bucks the trend. I await the imminent drop in support for my now defunct Z10 in the next 2 years then if this is BlackBerry's answer to moving on.

Edit: Microsoft supported Windows XP for 12 years. BlackBerry supported their PlayBook for a measly 3 years. You do the math. Either way this is pathetic support for any product. Shame on you BlackBerry.

Z10 In action here!
    Last edited by knighty2112; 04-01-14 at 06:15 AM.
    04-01-14 05:51 AM
    maybe I missed it. where was the announcement about an end for 2.1 support?
    04-01-14 07:01 AM
    No concern here cause it has been retired for something that isn't dead and slow.
    Cynycl likes this.
    04-01-14 07:51 AM
    That's better support than many android devices. My Sony tablet came out around the same time and hasn't had an update since 2012. I would never use it for any secure transaction, given the lack of updates, and the whole experience soured me on android for good. Given the lack of palatable alternatives, my next tablet will be running full Windows 8.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk
    04-01-14 08:07 AM
    maybe I missed it. where was the announcement about an end for 2.1 support?
    Read it here: Software Support Life Cycle - Canada Go to the BlackBerry Operating Systems tab.
    04-01-14 09:31 AM
    Windows XP was supported for more than three years before Microsoft dropped support for it. In general most companies support their products for a minimum of 6 years before they end support for these said products. BlackBerry as usual bucks the trend. I await the imminent drop in support for my now defunct Z10 in the next 2 years then if this is BlackBerry's answer to moving on.

Edit: Microsoft supported Windows XP for 12 years. BlackBerry supported their PlayBook for a measly 3 years. You do the math. Either way this is pathetic support for any product. Shame on you BlackBerry.

Z10 In action here!
    Or look at Apple. Original iPad released April 2010, final OS update May 2012.
    04-01-14 09:36 AM
    Or look at Apple. Original iPad released April 2010, final OS update May 2012.
    Yes, but the original Ipad did what it promised to do out of the box. It didn't take a year and a half for apple to release a barely usable OS for their Ipad. Apple had a lot less reason to need to support their device.

That's like comparing apples to oranges dog crap.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-01-14 09:49 AM
    If true, I think PlayBook owners should rally together and ask BlackBerry to provide a way for users to install the OS of their choice. Linux and Android would be solid alternatives that would significantly extend the life of the tablet.

The OS and app support have been dying a slow and painful death, but the hardware is still solid, even after 3 years.
    04-01-14 09:52 AM
    If true, I think PlayBook owners should rally together and ask BlackBerry to provide a way for users to install the OS of their choice. Linux and Android would be solid alternatives that would significantly extend the life of the tablet.

The OS and app support have been dying a slow and painful death, but the hardware is still solid, even after 3 years.
    Not going to happen. It would compromise BB10.
    04-01-14 10:40 AM
    Yeah but there is no talk of a new PlayBook so if they announced a PlayBook 2 then people wouldn't be as upset with the discontinuation of the original PlayBook.

Stay Classy CrackBerry Nation!
    04-01-14 12:10 PM
    I still use and enjoy my PlayBook, but I sure as hell don't want BlackBerry to spend one nickel on it anymore. They have more important things to do than catering to a few thousand folks with a 3 year old device. If they are to survive, they need to focus.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2947

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and wordworkr58 like this.
    04-01-14 12:19 PM
    Until BB can become profitable again selling phones i dont see any reason to pursue another tablet. There is lots of competition in the 150-250 range and face it BB cant sell a tablet for more than that. It will be the same result as the PB 1 was.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-01-14 12:36 PM
    So 2.1 support is gone. By then 2.2 will be around the curve or maybe 3.0
    04-01-14 06:38 PM
    For such a ridiculously priced device... it is unconscionable that BlackBerry would end support less than 3 years after launch.

Shame on you BlackBerry. Will consider this lame support before I consider sticking with ya in future.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    04-01-14 08:34 PM
    For such a ridiculously priced device... it is unconscionable that BlackBerry would end support less than 3 years after launch.

Shame on you BlackBerry. Will consider this lame support before I consider sticking with ya in future.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    i dont know, for $99-150 i think people got the "support" to match that. now if you paid 500-800 well yeah you got screwed hard lol
    04-01-14 08:53 PM
    i dont know, for $99-150 i think people got the "support" to match that. now if you paid 500-800 well yeah you got screwed hard lol
    That's what I'm talking about.... the folks who paid launch prices less than 3 years ago. Of course I'm not talking about current sake prices.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    04-01-14 09:13 PM
    Apple has dropped some support also for older hardware like the iPad 1 and some phones. The iOS operating system will not be used there. Even the iPad 2 will not be able to run some parts of iOS 6.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22713743#22713743
    04-01-14 09:18 PM
51 123