So I'm guessing nobody has received the "Low Memory/Close Some Apps Notification" as shown above on their new PlayBooks that I reported in our BlackBerry PlayBook Review (and that other reviewers reported as well).

RIM was pretty clever on this... how do you make the issue go away? Simply remove that notification from the operating system!!

I've been trying to make the notification appear, but it doesn't appear anymore. Open a bunch of apps... after opening each app go check out how much RAM is left on the Settings > About > Hardware screen. Eventually when you run out of memory apps will just start closing on their own, but you'll never see the Low Memory message.

Pretty smart RIM, Pretty smart.
    04-20-11 01:39 PM
    i don't think they have removed it completely, i got a pop up about low memory notification today when it was running low memory
    04-20-11 01:49 PM
    i also had a little box pop up that say qnx is running low on memory. just hit ok didn tell me to close anything.
    04-20-11 01:52 PM
    i also had a little box pop up that say qnx is running low on memory. just hit ok didn tell me to close anything.
    Yes, I got this same message yesterday. I think I was at 150 MB or something like that.
    gyuen likes this.
    04-20-11 01:55 PM
    Same has happened to me once. Didn't actually close anything.
    04-20-11 01:55 PM
    Hmm... strange strange strange. OK, so maybe RIM DIDN'T remove it then... but why am I not getting the message anymore yet it's still low enough on memory that it's closing apps?? I wonder if there's some weird inconsistent behavior then. I'm bridged right now and not getting it... maybe if I unbridge it'll come back.

Kind of interesting. Curious to see what others have experienced. It definitely feels though like I can have a lot more apps open though before it starts closing any, as compared to the review unit software version. Definitely think they're making strides here quickly.
    04-20-11 01:58 PM
    Kevin whens the new review coming ?????
    04-20-11 02:01 PM
    So how many apps can you open before you get low on memory.
    04-20-11 02:03 PM
    Hey kevin berryreview is reporting an app called adobe connect video conferencing free for the play book 2way video conferencing
    04-20-11 02:07 PM
    The Playbook just closes some of the open apps running without any notices.
    04-23-11 06:52 PM
    ahhh! now it makes perfect sense why my browser keeps closing by itself without any notice which is pretty annoying actually. I do get a pop up of low memory though but for some reason it's always within the Poynt app.
    04-23-11 07:14 PM
    I have been trying to overload the Playbook and I see that it is closing the apps, but I do not get any pop up of low mem anywhere!?!?
    04-23-11 07:43 PM
    Hmm... strange strange strange. OK, so maybe RIM DIDN'T remove it then... but why am I not getting the message anymore yet it's still low enough on memory that it's closing apps?? I wonder if there's some weird inconsistent behavior then. I'm bridged right now and not getting it... maybe if I unbridge it'll come back.

Kind of interesting. Curious to see what others have experienced. It definitely feels though like I can have a lot more apps open though before it starts closing any, as compared to the review unit software version. Definitely think they're making strides here quickly.
    It is definitely still there. In fact, it was the first thing I was greeted with when I got mine home. Now, after a few speedy updates from RIM, things improved and more apps could be opened without seeing the notification. However, it will come up for me if I have multiple tabs open in the browser, and NFS paused or running in the background as well as the HD video going. Yet, as I pointed out in another thread, this is not something I plan on doing often. Just a test to see where things stand with each update.
    04-23-11 07:50 PM
    it doesn't seem like 1gb of ram is enough. i hope this is just a software problem, my browser closes unexpectedly all the time. i love the multitasking power of my playbook but i should be able to have tons of things running before i run low on memory. Although I'm sure it also varies on the apps. i noticed the browser and bing maps are huge memory hogs.
    05-02-11 09:59 PM
    A lot of the reviewers mentioned the error coming up often and held it against the playbook. I wouldn't be suprised if they removed it :P

x2 with the more ram thing - either we need more ram or blackberry needs to optimize a bit. I'm using 500mb even with no apps running!
    05-02-11 10:23 PM
    A lot of the reviewers mentioned the error coming up often and held it against the playbook. I wouldn't be suprised if they removed it :P

x2 with the more ram thing - either we need more ram or blackberry needs to optimize a bit. I'm using 500mb even with no apps running!
    yes!! thats exactly what I'm talking about. i think Kevin mentioned the ram issue in the review. i was hoping the first update would address that but only time will tell.
    05-02-11 10:41 PM
    at first i thought it was the browser crashing upon low memory but yes.. even my picture and video apps closed themselves.. managed to bring it down to 51mb and received no message... just closed apps and shot back up to 180mb
    05-02-11 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD