Hi guys,

Sorry If this has been mentioned before. I have searched the forums and stumbled upon posts that discuss either one or the other issues that I'm having, not both. Right now my playbook charges fine using the Rapid Dock charger, and switches on as usual like I first got it. The problem I've been having now is that since using my Rapid Charger, my playbook won't recognize a USB or HDMI connection.

When trying to charge via USB, absolutely nothing happens (this has been tested using all sorts of chargers including the default one). This is a big issue for me as I mainly use my playbook in the car, using a USB cigarette plug charger. When I connect it to a PC, nothing happens either.

The other thing I have noticed is that there is no signal when I use an HDMI cable from my playbook to a TV. I bought this cable last week, it is an official blackberry HDMI cable so it should have no problems. I noticed that even in the settings menu, the Playbook does not show an HDMI connection to any TV.

Do you think the Rapid Dock has somehow damaged my USB charging port? Or is this too much of a coincidence? I cannot be sure about the HDMI port because I didn't test that until recently. Thanks so much for any help!
    08-10-13 12:48 AM
    Hey!

I want to say that it may have damaged one of the pins. I am not 100% sure though considering you can still use the Rapid Dock correct? Try blasting the port with some compressed air and move the dust around to see if you can wrestle up a charge. Clean it out and try again first. You never know!
    08-10-13 03:11 AM
    Hey apterson93 thanks for your response. Yeah the Rapid Dock charges the device fine. I think you might be correct about the damage; in the car it does get a little knocked around, perhaps the pins got damaged in the process. I will try cleaning it as you suggest.

Thanks again.
    08-10-13 03:22 AM
    Hey apterson93 thanks for your response. Yeah the Rapid Dock charges the device fine. I think you might be correct about the damage; in the car it does get a little knocked around, perhaps the pins got damaged in the process. I will try cleaning it as you suggest.

Thanks again.
    If a fly walks over the usb cable and sneezes it will trash the socket. Using it in the car is guarantee to break it.
    garrett1972 likes this.
    08-10-13 03:59 AM
    If a fly walks over the usb cable and sneezes it will trash the socket. Using it in the car is guarantee to break it.
    Unless you have an in-vehicle bracket for the tablet do not use USB to charge the device. The flimsy engineering of the microUSB port is atrocious and should never have been an option for battery recharge.
    08-10-13 04:08 AM
    Yep, other makers use metal, for some reason RIM (as was) used cheese. Pity because the rest of the hardware is pretty good.
    garrett1972 likes this.
    08-10-13 05:46 AM
    I think it is coincidence.

But look in the usb port and check if the board or connector is level. It should not be bent or slanted. If bent, GENTLY using toothpick or non-conductive probe try leveling it.

Some TV's do not immediately or ever work with the hdmi out. Or check the various tv settings. Some have things that need to be tweaked. What brand tv? I recall one brand needed a setting changed.

How old? Warranty?
    pkcable likes this.
    08-10-13 08:40 AM
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all your responses, I had a good laugh at your comment jarviser! I'm using my phone at the moment as an in-car replacement, and that seems to be doing the trick. I will avoid using the Playbook in the car from now on, qwerty4ever. I agree about the port quality (I never experienced this problem with other devices in my car).

F2, It definitely is not the TV, I've hooked up my other devices to it without an issues, and it's on the correct input etc. I suspect it has been broken for a while, but I only recently found out about it since I did not have an HDMI cable before. I believe the device is just a year old, and therefore probably out of warranty. Great suggestion about looking at the board, I will check it once I get home tonight. I suspect it could be damaged, so I will give your toothpick idea a go (nothing to lose at this point!).

I appreciate the constant support, Crackberry sure is an awesome community!

Cheers!
    08-10-13 09:08 AM
    I would still try another tv or two from friends or relatives. But good luck.
    08-10-13 10:10 AM
    Hi guys, just a follow up...

I tried the toothpick method without any luck. I did notice in the meantime that when I connect a USB cable, it doesn't really fit nicely in there, and wobbles about easily. I suspect it may be broken, but I will continue with other methods. I suspect the HDMI port is in a similar condition, as I connected it to 3 other TV's as you suggested F2 without any luck. It looks like my playbook ports are going the way of the Dodo!

With WIfi Sharing and a Rapid Charger, things aren't so bad, if not a little bit slow. I sincerely appreciate the effort guys, and I will get back to you if any miracles occour.
    08-10-13 11:08 PM
    The socket can be replaced...$15 Amazon..
    Hi guys, just a follow up...

I tried the toothpick method without any luck. I did notice in the meantime that when I connect a USB cable, it doesn't really fit nicely in there, and wobbles about easily. I suspect it may be broken, but I will continue with other methods. I suspect the HDMI port is in a similar condition, as I connected it to 3 other TV's as you suggested F2 without any luck. It looks like my playbook ports are going the way of the Dodo!

With WIfi Sharing and a Rapid Charger, things aren't so bad, if not a little bit slow. I sincerely appreciate the effort guys, and I will get back to you if any miracles occour.
    08-13-13 02:02 AM
    Well as far as connecting to a pc or car usb socket is concerned, none of the two will charge the PB as usb sockets only output 900mah max. The PB needs 2a minimum to charge, which it gets from the charger included in the box. So that could be the problem with charging.
    08-13-13 07:21 AM