GPS, Orientation Sensor (Accelerometer), 6-Axis Motion Sensor (Gyroscope), Digital Compass (Magnetometer)

Found that from the Blackberry playbook FAQ sticked thread with a PDF attached
    04-11-11 07:10 PM
    Right, it would almost have to be 6-axis because RIM doesn't have any buttons on the thing aside from the volume/power buttons...otherwise the device would be limited.

it consists of 3 perpendicular "actual" axis which yields 6 -axis in real dimensions to register positive and negative momentum and accelerated flux
    Wow... and not a word of that means anything to me. I'm very impressed you used the word "flux" in there though! Right out of Back to the Future.

So much for my engineering degree.
    04-11-11 07:51 PM
    It has gps 6 axis
    04-11-11 09:28 PM
    Wow... and not a word of that means anything to me. I'm very impressed you used the word "flux" in there though! Right out of Back to the Future.

So much for my engineering degree.
    Lol, flux is the affinity of an object to move across a gradient via an external force. So in essence the "flux capacitor" is a device that "shoots" an electric current. i.e. electric flux and deforms the fabric of time, thus, allowing you to travel freely throughout...

Don't feel bad...engineering degrees are overrated - I have 2
    Last edited by theruined; 04-11-11 at 10:01 PM.
    04-11-11 09:57 PM
    Don't feel bad...engineering degrees are overrated - I have 2
    They probably are, but I suppose in this case having an English degree would have been better, as you'd have been able to explain your point in words that would make sense to regular people, or even to other engineers.

Seriously, the way you wrote that seems nonsensical, even ignoring the minor errors (e.g. "axes" would be the plural, etc). Your comment linking the lack of buttons with a need for 6 axes seems unfounded, and the apparently "extra" three axes can be sufficiently explained by referring to rotation rather than by resorting to techno babble about momentum and accelerated flux.
    04-12-11 09:12 PM
    it consists of 3 perpendicular "actual" axis which yields 6 -axis in real dimensions to register positive and negative momentum and accelerated flux
    Actually it is comprised of 3 accelerometers and 3 gyro's. each group is aligned in perpendicular orientations along the x, y and z axes. Its not 3 sensors where the negative dimensions are considered as separate axes.

The accelerometers provide a reading of the linear acceleration by measuring the direction of gravity relative to the device. While the gyro's measure angular momentum (roll, pitch and yaw) of the device. This 6 readings together can be used to compile a picture of the position and orientation of the device in 3D space relative to a reference point when the reading was started. (A relative measurement system)

The Magnetometer provides orientation information relative to the poles of the earth to predict the direction the device is pointing relative to the earth's magnetic field. This can be seen as similar to the GPS which provides location information on earth. Together they tell you where you are on earth and what direction you are pointing at. (An absolute measurement system)
    therapyreject174 likes this.
    04-12-11 10:43 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD