What is RIM thinking here? I really think they have lost their mind in not being able to create folders. With that being said, why in the **** do I have to open Adobe to open a PDF file? Why can't I just go in, find the file, and then let Adobe open it up for me?? Same with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. I can't believe that are this freaking stupid.

If I am missing something here then I apologize, but if not this hunk of garbage is going back.

One more thing, the spell check is a joke on this thing! It only underlines but offers no correction?? RIM has proven once again why they are becoming more and more irrelevant.
    Last edited by donnation; 04-30-11 at 02:04 PM.
    04-30-11 01:58 PM
    Just letting you know all other tablets are the same way.

People in general don't want to be exposed to the filesystem regularly on a "fun" device like a tablet, phone, or MP3 player.

You can access a subset of the filesystem over wifi sharing and when you plug it into your computer.
    04-30-11 02:07 PM
    I thought this was supposed to be the first "Professional" tablet. Give me a break RIM and go back to the drawing board.
    04-30-11 02:12 PM
    The lack of file management capability is certainly a poor decision on the part of the software development team and quite possibly the RIM management team in general. A simple equivalent to 'home/user' in UNIX or 'My PlayBook' with appropriate subdirectories thereunder would likely satisfy the major of BlackBerry PlayBook users in my opinion.
    04-30-11 02:15 PM
    As far as spell check in Word, hold you finger on the underlined word and options pop up.
    04-30-11 02:27 PM
    A simple equivalent to 'home/user' in UNIX or 'My PlayBook' with appropriate subdirectories thereunder would likely satisfy the major of BlackBerry PlayBook users in my opinion.
    The filesystem of the PB seems to be set up for this kind of use in the future, there just isn't a file manager yet. I expect we will see a file manager similar to that of the BBOS in the near future.
    04-30-11 02:41 PM
    One of the main reasons I sprung for the 64Gb PB was so I could have all my PDF's of research documents available which are now organized in folders on my Mac. To not have a similar functionality on the PB is a disappointment. Now I have to scroll through long lists to get the right document. Also the search function does not appear to search within PDF's.
    04-30-11 02:43 PM
    One of the main reasons I sprung for the 64Gb PB was so I could have all my PDF's of research documents available which are now organized in folders on my Mac. To not have a similar functionality on the PB is a disappointment. Now I have to scroll through long lists to get the right document. Also the search function does not appear to search within PDF's.
    This is the same thing I'm wanting to use the PB for!

Does anyone know if the iPad file system is even any better?
    04-30-11 02:47 PM
    I have discovered that "Bridge Files" kind of works like a mini File Manager. You can point at DOCUMENTS folder and open doc, xls and pdf files and it will open them in the appropriate app.

You can also look at and open (read only) files on your associated BB phone, in my case the 9650.

It will not open/play files in the Music/video or pictures either on the PB or the phone. It will also HIDE other extensions. I was sure that I had an html file or two in the documents folder but I could not see them. I was hoping to point at one of those and it would open in the browser - no such luck.

The absence of folders or subfolders is a substantial oversight. The only place they seem to show up or work is in the pictures folder where they show up as Albums.
    04-30-11 02:50 PM
    As far as spell check in Word, hold you finger on the underlined word and options pop up.
    No it doesn't, it doesn't do anything but ask to copy it. THIS THING IS TERRIBLE!!! I'm sorry to rant, but I cannot believe how bad this thing is.
    04-30-11 03:02 PM
    To Access Files on your PlayBook, type "file:///accounts/1000/shared" into your browser
    04-30-11 04:13 PM
    So far I haven't been able to name one thing about this PB that is PROFESSIONAL compared to other tablets. The more I used it, the more it seems to be in every way inferior than my iPad.
    presenter mode!!!! so far I love it

but apart for presenter mode and using my BES data connection, and size it isn't much more "professional" than other tablets
    04-30-11 04:21 PM
    No it doesn't, it doesn't do anything but ask to copy it. THIS THING IS TERRIBLE!!! I'm sorry to rant, but I cannot believe how bad this thing is.
    Yes it does have spell check in Documents to Go. In any word document, if you type a word wrong, a red line appears underneath it. You then tap on the underlined word and voila, you get a little menu that pops up with suggestive alternatives. You then click on the correct spelling and - its like magic - the word is corrected.

I understand your other complaints and I agree with you whole heartedly - the Playbook is hardly a professional tablet when simple features such as folder organization is not present. Like others have commented on various posts, I also have hundreds of pdf documents that I use on the Playbook for reference and accessing them is simply a pain in the rearend. Even DOS had better file directory structure than the Playbook. So in this regard I agree with you.

But it certainly does have spell check when using Word documents.
    04-30-11 05:00 PM
    Easy now campers.

Donnation, I understand you're frustrated, but there are people here who can help you. Ranting is not going to cause them to get enthusiastic about assisting you.
    04-30-11 06:27 PM
    I agree, for something intended to be a "professional" tablet it does lack a few basics. A file browser is one of them.

If I buy a tablet so I can have all my PDF files, documents, etc.. with me then want a simple file browser to be able to open them up from.
    05-01-11 01:04 AM
    I have over one hundred pdf's and word docs on my PB, and I agree that file management would be nice. As a temp fix I put the subject first in the file name, just like I would name a folder. Adobe brings the list up alphabetically so it makes it easy to scroll down to the subject your looking for, then find the file. Took me a bit of time to set it up, but locating a file is much easier now.
    05-01-11 05:59 AM
    To Access Files on your PlayBook, type "file:///accounts/1000/shared" into your browser
    Thanks, your suggestion works well as a temporary fix however an actual file explorer application is definitely required.
    05-01-11 06:44 AM
    This is the same thing I'm wanting to use the PB for!

Does anyone know if the iPad file system is even any better?
    The PB is nothing more than RIM's iPad. It is not fundamentally different in approach. It has a few differences here and there, but at the core, it is just a resized, rebranded iPad. It is something to stop the bleeding from all those BB users with iPad envy. Enjoy, and stop comparing. If you wanted something like an iPad, you should have bought an iPad.

Why all this shock at the lack of a file system? You have all seen a thousand demos of how the system worked long before it was released. How is it that you thought this was a fundamentally different animal? The whole point of this thing is to give BB fans something like an iPad experience without getting sued. You got it. Enough with the indignation over the fact that it is like an iPad.
    05-01-11 07:23 AM
    The PB is nothing more than RIM's iPad. It is not fundamentally different in approach. It has a few differences here and there, but at the core, it is just a resized, rebranded iPad. It is something to stop the bleeding from all those BB users with iPad envy. Enjoy, and stop comparing. If you wanted something like an iPad, you should have bought an iPad.

Why all this shock at the lack of a file system? You have all seen a thousand demos of how the system worked long before it was released. How is it that you thought this was a fundamentally different animal? The whole point of this thing is to give BB fans something like an iPad experience without getting sued. You got it. Enough with the indignation over the fact that it is like an iPad.
    Seriously give it a rest, as has been stated, they both have their own pro's and con's. I have used both, I choose the PlayBook and to state that is just a knock off is really silly.
    05-01-11 07:28 AM
    Seriously give it a rest, as has been stated, they both have their own pro's and con's. I have used both, I choose the PlayBook and to state that is just a knock off is really silly.
    No, you give it a rest. You chose the PB. Don't pretend like you didn't know what it was from the start. How does anyone buy it and not know it does not have a file system, and that it is not like an iPad? If you wanted a file system, you should have bought a Windows tablet. Done! You didn't want that. You wanted something more like an iPad. You got it. Stop the whining!
    05-01-11 07:34 AM

If that is true then RIM really f'd up!
    05-01-11 07:44 AM
    No, you give it a rest. You chose the PB. Don't pretend like you didn't know what it was from the start. How does anyone buy it and not know it does not have a file system, and that it is not like an iPad? If you wanted a file system, you should have bought a Windows tablet. Done! You didn't want that. You wanted something more like an iPad. You got it. Stop the whining!
    Why would someone even think, in this day and age, that there wasn't a file system in the product?
    05-01-11 07:44 AM
    Why would someone even think, in this day and age, that there wasn't a file system in the product?
    I agree I've never owned anything without a file system or file manager. But then again I've never owned anything i etiher.
    05-01-11 07:47 AM
    In an iPad-like device? In a device based on a mobile OS rather than a desktop OS? Why would someone even think, in this day and age, that there was a file system?
    05-01-11 07:49 AM
    I agree I've never owned anything without a file system or file manager.
    I have to call BS on that. You have never owned a phone without a hierarchical file system? You have only used MS Windows? Your experience is too limited to have an informed opinion.
    05-01-11 07:53 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD