Wasn't QNX supposed to work fast on modest hardware? How come BB10 now needs 2G+ or RAM and dual core processors?
    Street Cred, bragging rights, and the half-witted obsession with meaningless paper specifications demonstrated by the media and a small subset of smartphone users.
    theegoldenone likes this.
    05-15-13 11:57 AM
    That is funny. Because all the employees of RIM were given 1 GB phones as trials for BB10. Why did they make those devices if they weren't going to work. Why were developers given BB10 on Dev Alpha devices if it wasn't going to function. BB10 and OS 2.1 are not that much different on the back end. All that is needed is to create libs for cascades and other GUI elements and BB10 would be there.
    Remember for the longest time though that the initial Dev A and B devices had Hub, among other settings like Phone functionality, locked out of the OS. At those times, with limited functionality, would the Dev units probably run fine with 1GB. That's been the big debate for the PB, among processor, is will it run fine without those core functions that depend on Cell-signal connection or are we stuck with needing 2GB like the Q5 shows?
    05-15-13 12:08 PM
    I love my Z10 and I even love my PlayBook, but if I move to Japan this fall I will get a new Tablet and it will likely be an iPad mini. The PlayBook was great, but it hasn't received any updates in a while, it seems for gotten. The app selection isn't a huge consideration for me, but the app selection for the PlayBook is poor and it will not improve.

If bbry wants to sell me another tablet, they should make one!

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 01:01 PM
    Have YOU actually seen or run a BB10 device with 1GB of RAM? I have. They work just fine thank you.
    very easy to shut everyone up.

post a video on youtube or take a snapshot.

the other user provided his screenshot and proof and most user agree with his take on it not being enough. you seem to be the odd one out.

time to shut everyone up with some pic or video right?
    Saiga likes this.
    05-15-13 04:52 PM
    Remember for the longest time though that the initial Dev A and B devices had Hub, among other settings like Phone functionality, locked out of the OS. At those times, with limited functionality, would the Dev units probably run fine with 1GB. That's been the big debate for the PB, among processor, is will it run fine without those core functions that depend on Cell-signal connection or are we stuck with needing 2GB like the Q5 shows?
    Does the PlayBook have a phone? No. The hub isn't much different than what is currently in OS 2.1. I have lots of accounts in my email .The real estate of the Playbook makes the hub not needed. The only Playbooks that have cell signal and they have a processor that is 50% faster than the WiFi only versions. BB10 in Playbook form will work just fine. The only thing that is missing is cascades libs.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-15-13 05:20 PM
    very easy to shut everyone up.

post a video on youtube or take a snapshot.

the other user provided his screenshot and proof and most user agree with his take on it not being enough. you seem to be the odd one out.

time to shut everyone up with some pic or video right?
    Ask all the developers who had or have a Dev Alpha device which has BB10 and 1GB RAM if their device is a dog.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-15-13 05:22 PM
    Are you just fibbing? Serious question. You're the only person I've ever seen make that claim. I know what my own personal experince is and I've seen countless other developers and even the staff of this website share similar experinces. Yet you still say 1GB phones will run the full BB10 os fine. Starting to make me wonder if you've ever used a BB10 device at all.

Like I've said, both of my retail BB10 devices boot up with less than 1GB of free memory. So how well would that work out on a Dev Alpha A or B? Certainly not "fine". Maybe your definition of fine is way different than most people's.
    First, we are talking Playbooks and not phones, even though a 1GB Q10 as a phone works. I had a Dev Alpha since June of last year and developed apps for it. I now have a nice red Z10. I also have a 1GB Q10. I doubt that you have ever used a Dev Alpha device or a 1GB Q10. Have you ever seen a developer with a Dev Alpha device say that it is a dog? A 1GB Q10 boots up with 400MB free. It is using 10.1.0.1483 as it's OS.This is with WiFI, bluetooth and NFC and location services turned on. If I open Settings, Maps, LinkedIn, Twitter, Music, Pictures, Remember, Calendar I have 150 MB free. And it is still quick. I don't care if you don't believe me.
    05-15-13 05:34 PM
    I doubt that you have ever used a Dev Alpha device
    Erm, yeah ok

No BlackBerry 10 for the PlayBook?!-img_00000060.png

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    05-15-13 09:49 PM
    I don't even really want BB10 on mine. I just want the keyboard and Web browser and ability to run BB10 apps.

Give us that, at least. And Bridge features back. That's all I ask.
    Alphax45 likes this.
    05-15-13 10:21 PM
    I don't really care if it needs 5gb of ram to run. You promised it, you better deliver. That's it.
    05-15-13 11:48 PM
    It seems like a poor business decision in the first place. It really couldn't have effected pb sales much since they were almost totally off the shelves when they announced it anyway. So why did they even agree to do this in the first place? Pouring a ton of cash and labor into something with zero return = a bad investment.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 01:03 AM
    Are you just fibbing? Serious question. You're the only person I've ever seen make that claim. I know what my own personal experince is and I've seen countless other developers and even the staff of this website share similar experinces. Yet you still say 1GB phones will run the full BB10 os fine. Starting to make me wonder if you've ever used a BB10 device at all.

Like I've said, both of my retail BB10 devices boot up with less than 1GB of free memory. So how well would that work out on a Dev Alpha A or B? Certainly not "fine". Maybe your definition of fine is way different than most people's.
    I had a Dev Alpha A, and I was able to run the release version of BB10 just fine. Booted in about a minute.

I'll admit, it didn't like having a lot of apps open, and the UI wasn't as smooth as the Z10s, but it was perfectly usable.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    05-16-13 02:47 AM
    I don't even really want BB10 on mine...
    Yes you do. BB10 will bring faster boot times and overall better responsiveness that OS2.1. And a better app catalog.

sexybabe88 likes this.
    05-16-13 02:53 AM
    Erm, yeah ok

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000060.png 
Views:	930 
Size:	775.2 KB 
ID:	162058

i really hope he can show us all. at least there is hope for playbook.

maybe he is the key to unlock bb10 in playbook
    05-16-13 09:06 AM
    Erm, yeah ok

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000060.png 
Views:	930 
Size:	775.2 KB 
ID:	162058

Thunderbuck has posted that his Dev Alpha with 1GB of RAM runs fine with BB10. SO there is no need. I have someone to backup my statement.

Thunderbuck. Thanks for posting.
    05-16-13 10:16 AM
    Thunderbuck has posted that his Dev Alpha with 1GB of RAM runs fine with BB10. SO there is no need. I have someone to backup my statement.

Thunderbuck. Thanks for posting.
    seriously. u have time to keep responding and reading the thread but you can't shut everyone up by just posting a simple picture?

even though this is the internet, everyone are mult-billionaire with super hot gf/wife, you still need pic or gtfo.

simple as that

in b4 " i don't need to show you anything, believe it or not"
    05-16-13 10:38 AM
    i really hope he can show us all. at least there is hope for playbook.

maybe he is the key to unlock bb10 in playbook
    Me too, I was really wanting to see a picture of his impressive collection. Heck, he has a Red Z10 and a 1GB Q10 that never uses any memory. I'd love to see them.

It takes literally seconds to snap a photo of a phone, but I guess that's too much to ask. It's ok, I'm sure he really has a magical 1GB Q10. Afterall, no one would ever tell a lie on the interwebs. Oh well

05-16-13 10:40 AM
    That is funny. Because all the employees of RIM were given 1 GB phones as trials for BB10. Why did they make those devices if they weren't going to work.

They worked just ok for freebies to devs. For people buying them as opposed to another phone...no way

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 11:30 AM
    seriously. u have time to keep responding and reading the thread but you can't shut everyone up by just posting a simple picture?

even though this is the internet, everyone are mult-billionaire with super hot gf/wife, you still need pic or gtfo.

simple as that

in b4 " i don't need to show you anything, believe it or not"
    Newbie clear doesn't know thunder buck.
    You can take his word.
    His reputation is much better than yours. I garuantee it.
    If buck says it, you can trust it.
    djdragon likes this.
    05-16-13 11:31 AM
    I don't really care if it needs 5gb of ram to run. You promised it, you better deliver. That's it.
    Yup. They have a bad enough repor with not following through with promises. This would be a nail in the coffin for me.
    Alphax45 likes this.
    05-16-13 11:32 AM
    If they do not deliver on bb10 for the PB I may leave BlackBerry all together.
    We shall see.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Grumpy

From the Zed of Rockivy
    05-16-13 11:33 AM
    Settle down, everyone. I'm pretty sure the PlayBook will get some love here.

For those who are worried about performance, remember that the Dev Alpha A was essentially a shrunken 3G PlayBook. The OS that mine originally had was a dog that took 4 minutes to boot and looked just like OS2.1. BB steadily improved the OS, though, to the point that with the release version of BB10 boot time was down to a minute and overall performance was much better.

Personally, I think BB10 on the PlayBook is going to be missing a little functionality compared to the Z10, but it should still be perfectly usable.
    Is this a gut feeling or did someone high up at Blackberry confirm this to you recently (within the past 2 weeks)? I ask this because friends were giving a playbook to someone as a birthday present and they would like my advice. I am saying "no" based on Thorsten's comments a few days ago that he wants to spend his R&D dollars on the "future".
    05-16-13 11:46 AM
    You can take his word.
    So we should disregard Kevin's opinion on the matter than? Has Kevin earned a reputation yet? Should we also assume that Alec Saunders and the BlackBerry Developer team don't know what they are talking about either?

Evidently, BBRY just cut into their own margins by wastefully equipping every retail BlackBerry 10 device so far with an extra GB worth of RAM. Even their mid-range option the Q5.

None of that changes the fact that both of my BB10 devices constantly use more than 1GB of RAM, so obviously, the full BlackBerry 10 experience needs more than 1GB of RAM to function properly. How can that even be denied at this point?

Turning on and somewhat working isn't the same thing as functioning properly. Thank the heavens that BlackBerry didn't go with just 1GB for consumer devices. It would have been a disaster.

05-16-13 12:04 PM
    You can take his word.
    good you guarantee it, but too bad i didn't put up anything against his. in fact i didn't put up anything. i asked the other poster to show a screenshot.

maybe tried following the thread before you make stupid claim about rep or not.

also, new poster or not, does it matter. should i suck up to ppl with high post count? or their post matter more?

judging by your post count and your post quality i can clearly see the answer is no.
    05-16-13 12:50 PM
    I had a Dev Alpha A, and I was able to run the release version of BB10 just fine. Booted in about a minute.

I'll admit, it didn't like having a lot of apps open, and the UI wasn't as smooth as the Z10s, but it was perfectly usable.

Yes but run it with more than 3 apps open and it's using more than a gig of ram. If you want to actually use it instead of boot it you will need the extra gig of ram.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 01:28 PM
172 12345 ...