It "would be here already". You come to this conclusion based on... what, your extensive project management experience? You think stuff just magically materializes?

So, for instance, if BlackBerry management realized that they'd have to have delayed the Q10 launch, or they'd have to let a BES feature target slip, that they should still leave resources working on an update for a two year old device of which they likely don't even have any more inventory? That doesn't mean the update is cancelled, just that they have more pressing needs. There's a huge difference between "effective execution" and "perfect execution".

And the "cheap shot" I was referring to was the notion that BlackBerry deliberately misled customers with a bad faith commitment. Again there's a big leap from "I don't trust your ability to execute" and "you lie to your customers".

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    But at the same time you can say that BlackBerry's program and project management is atrocious. They can't hit deadlines or are lying to their management about what they can do. And instead of being accountable from top to bottom, they simply ignore it and hope no one brings it up again and say Look to the Future. I know if I ran projects and deadlines like RIM and BlackBerry did I would be out of work!

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 04:26 PM
    Man, the 2-slice toaster I bought three years ago still doesn't make me an omelette and serve me fresh squeezed OJ. It doesn't even do four slices.

Damn you Black and Decker,.. I am entitled to a free upgrade, even if at the time I bought the toaster, it only 'promised' to toast my 2 slices of bread ... which it still does, but... that's not the point. I WANT MORE, for free!!

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 05:32 PM
    Man, the 2-slice toaster I bought three years ago still doesn't make me an omelette and serve me fresh squeezed OJ. It doesn't even do four slices.

Damn you Black and Decker,.. I am entitled to a free upgrade, even if at the time I bought the toaster, it only 'promised' to toast my 2 slices of bread ... which it still does, but... that's not the point. I WANT MORE, for free!!

Posted via CB10
    Did the toaster manufactuter go on record that those features were indeed coming?
    I would have likened this more to a politician making campaign promises.
    At least try to shut them down with an accurate analogy. This is crackberry not an iPhone forum. At least be intelligent.
    lnichols, Saiga, jegs2 and 3 others like this.
    05-19-13 06:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    Funny I don't remember a Black and Decker executive stating these features were coming to their toaster line. Would have been major news. Perhaps you can post them. However BlackBerry did state the PlayBook would get BB10. Feel free to come up with another horrible analogy.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 06:04 PM
    But at the same time you can say that BlackBerry's program and project management is atrocious. They can't hit deadlines or are lying to their management about what they can do. And instead of being accountable from top to bottom, they simply ignore it and hope no one brings it up again and say Look to the Future. I know if I ran projects and deadlines like RIM and BlackBerry did I would be out of work!

Posted via CB10
    I don't agree. I think BB's execution has improved considerably since Heins took over. In fact, I'm confident that Heins got the CEO job because he was able to go to the board with a cohesive plan to get the company's execution back on track.

You go back to 2011, and I can't think of a single target that RIM actually hit (and several missed ones that were absolutely disastrous). Last year? A couple of relatively minor delays, and a few releases that were at the absolute last minute of RIM's stated release window, but the only out-and-out misses were Theme Builder 7 (which was cancelled at the last minute but quietly leaked afterward), and the release of PBOS 2.1, which was admittedly a few weeks later than the stated "Summer '12" target. And, yes, there was that pushback on the Z10 release, which I still suspect may have been for business reasons as much as technical ones.

There were multiple releases of betas, SDKs, Dev Alpha devices and OS updates, and other updates that hit on time or ahead of schedule. 2012 was a MUCH better year for execution.
    05-19-13 06:09 PM
    Oh, and btw I've started a thread on at least one scenario that if true would answer a lot of the questions being raised here...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ok-but-809141/
    05-19-13 06:13 PM
    I don't agree. I think BB's execution has improved considerably since Heins took over. In fact, I'm confident that Heins got the CEO job because he was able to go to the board with a cohesive plan to get the company's execution back on track.

You go back to 2011, and I can't think of a single target that RIM actually hit (and several missed ones that were absolutely disastrous). Last year? A couple of relatively minor delays, and a few releases that were at the absolute last minute of RIM's stated release window, but the only out-and-out misses were Theme Builder 7 (which was cancelled at the last minute but quietly leaked afterward), and the release of PBOS 2.1, which was admittedly a few weeks later than the stated "Summer '12" target. And, yes, there was that pushback on the Z10 release, which I still suspect may have been for business reasons as much as technical ones.

There were multiple releases of betas, SDKs, Dev Alpha devices and OS updates, and other updates that hit on time or ahead of schedule. 2012 was a MUCH better year for execution.
    They released no real products in 2012 except the things you state they missed. Dev and beta devices that make them no money they executed on? I can see this isn't going to go anywhere. You see RIM as now executing properly, and don't care of BB10 comes or want your PlayBook to be a 1024x600 monitor, and I have higher expectations, all of which were set based on the communications with the company.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 07:05 PM
    They released no real products in 2012 except the things you state they missed. Dev and beta devices that make them no money they executed on? I can see this isn't going to go anywhere. You see RIM as now executing properly, and don't care of BB10 comes or want your PlayBook to be a 1024x600 monitor, and I have higher expectations, all of which were set based on the communications with the company.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, Mobile Fusion was a revenue generating product for BB last year, and a crucial one for maintaining their credibility to Enterprise customers.

Now, after some high-profile customer defections, BES10 has actually started winning a lot of business back on the MDM side.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    05-19-13 07:41 PM
    My analogy of the toaster works at least for me. I bought the PlayBook knowing what it could do and what it couldn't do. That they then announced it could possibly receive BB10... at no cost to me, was just icing on the cake... a cake that, after having had for almost two years... I ate and thoroughly enjoyed while it was still good.

Relax, let BlackBerry focus on a new bb10 tablet. They need to make money, not appease every cheap customer that wants their two year old device to still be the latest and greatest.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 10:23 PM
    My analogy of the toaster works at least for me. I bought the PlayBook knowing what it could do and what it couldn't do. That they then announced it could possibly receive BB10... at no cost to me, was just icing on the cake... a cake that, after having had for almost two years... I ate and thoroughly enjoyed while it was still good.

Relax, let BlackBerry focus on a new bb10 tablet. They need to make money, not appease every cheap customer that wants their two year old device to still be the latest and greatest.

Posted via CB10
    And who's gonna buy a new BB Tablet if the reputation of the old one Is so bad? I think the PB still has huge potential (something that people say about the Z10) but it's heart breaking not to see that potential achieved two years later.
    bekkay, lnichols, jegs2 and 2 others like this.
    05-20-13 02:01 AM
    And who's gonna buy a new BB Tablet if the reputation of the old one Is so bad? I think the PB still has huge potential (something that people say about the Z10) but it's heart breaking not to see that potential achieved two years later.
    Exactly!
    The only way any more of my tablet money is going to bbry is if my current playbook gets an update to bb10 as promised.
    05-20-13 09:56 AM
    I know if I ran projects and deadlines like RIM and BlackBerry did I would be out of work!
    Didn't know you had such vast personal insight into the day to day lives of program and project managers in BlackBerry.
    05-20-13 10:02 AM
    Now if Saiga actually had any consistency, he would go after you and tell you that you are a liar. Because it is case closed that the 1GB device you have doesn't exist. If it doesn't exist, then it can't crash frequently. As you said, this device runs adequate for some. Now strip out the HUB, which isn't needed on the Playbook, strip out the phone substructure and you will have an OS that works just fine on a Playbook. Remember folks, we are talking about having BB10 on a Playbook, not a smartphone. They are two different animals. But BB10 and OS2.1 are very close in terms of the underlying OS. The only real difference is that BB10 is now MORE efficient and they have added a BB10 GUI layer in the terms of cascades. If Cascades is that inefficient that it can't run on the Playbook, they should go back to the drawing board. BBRY programmers are much better than that.
    so you going to post the pic or not? you just lost all your internet credibility. don't even act like you don't care, cause obviously you do if you are keep trying to make excuse.
    05-20-13 10:09 AM
    so you going to post the pic or not? you just lost all your internet credibility. don't even act like you don't care, cause obviously you do if you are keep trying to make excuse.
    LOL. Someone else said it existed, but I don't see you going after them to post a picture. We all know that 1GB devices running BB10 exist (Dev Alpha), so what is the point? Or are you going to tell everyone that they don't exist either? I don't need you to judge my internet credibility. Do you have that much power? I am satisfied that those people who had Dev Alpha devices and put BB10 on them and those that have Q10 devices with BB10.1 and 1GB know that I am telling the truth. They know that BB10 can run on 1GB of RAM. I don't have to prove anything to you.
    05-20-13 10:18 AM
    Didn't know you had such vast personal insight into the day to day lives of program and project managers in BlackBerry.
    You don't need to. Everything and date they announce never happens. That's your insight.

Posted via CB10
    lnichols likes this.
    05-20-13 10:45 AM
    The sad part is the pics I've posted in this thread took seconds to capture and add to my posts. Seems it would be a whole lot easier for him to just post a pic and be done with it than to deal with replying to this thread everyday.

He doubted that I had used a Dev Alpha before, and in the same post he claimed to have a "nice red Z10" as if I didn't also have one. Well, I walked to my bookcase, grabed my Dev Alpha boxes, typed a short message on my red Z10 and snapped a photo. The process literally took 30 seconds of my time at the most. Isn't that easier than replying to this thread and telling people you don't care if they don't believe you over and over and over?

Of course, it would only be easier if he actually had a 1GB Q10. Since he has failed to offer any evidence that he does indeed have one, I can't help but think that he doesn't. Oh well, I can't wait to see his next picture-less reply.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    05-20-13 11:11 AM
    Of course, it would only be easier if he actually had a 1GB Q10. Since he has failed to offer any evidence that he does indeed have one, I can't help but think that he doesn't. Oh well, I can't wait to see his next picture-less reply.
    Let me ask you this. How much RAM did your Dev Alpha have and did you load BB10 on it? Did it run? So if a Dev Alpha had 1GB of RAM and ran BB10, why wouldn't the Playbook be able to do the same? And as I expected, you never bothered to try and get confirmation from the other poster who said he had a 1GB Q10. Since there are two posters who say that they have a 1GB Q10, so I guess we are both lying. Except that we already know that 1GB BB10 devices exist, so who really cares if the Q10 is another 1GB BB10 device.
    05-20-13 11:43 AM
    Dead horse.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 11:55 AM
    Of course, it would only be easier if he actually had a 1GB Q10.
    If you actually took the time to search, you would see that others have posted about the existence of the 1GB Q10.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/#post8236579
    05-20-13 12:01 PM
    And who's gonna buy a new BB Tablet if the reputation of the old one Is so bad?
    Think it's safe to say that most who bought a Playbook would avoid any new BB tablet like the plague, and warn anyone they know who shows interest to steer clear. I would.
    05-20-13 12:02 PM
    Let me ask you this. How much RAM did your Dev Alpha have and did you load BB10 on it? Did it run? So if a Dev Alpha had 1GB of RAM and ran BB10, why wouldn't the Playbook be able to do the same? And as I expected, you never bothered to try and get confirmation from the other poster who said he had a 1GB Q10. Since there are two posters who say that they have a 1GB Q10, so I guess we are both lying. Except that we already know that 1GB BB10 devices exist, so who really cares if the Q10 is another 1GB BB10 device.
    LOL just post a pic. Please? You keep typing these replies with all of this irrelevant junk in them, when all I want is too see a picture of your 1GB Q10. I've never seen one before. I'd like too though. I honestly want you to prove me wrong.

But to reply somewhat to the stuff you for whatever reason sent me - First, I've never said you were lying. Not once. I haven't called you a liar. I just want to see a picture of a device you claim to have that I have never seen before. What am I supposed to think when someone claims to have a very rare phone yet wont share a photo of it? I mean wouldn't you be suspicious if I claimed to have a one cylinder Ferrari, yet absolutely refused to post a picture of it?

Secondly. I have continuously said that "the FULL BB10 OS needs more than 1GB of RAM to function properly". Stop and re-read the words that are in the quotation marks. Go over it several times until it lodges into your brain. I have 2 devices that run the full BB10 OS and both of them constantly use more than 1GB of RAM. I posted a picture of them using more than 1GB of RAM at the same time. Do I really need to spell it out any clearer for you? To function properly, the full BB10 OS as it currently is, needs more than 1GB of RAM. How is that even open to debate at this point? Turning it on and only being able to use a select few apps without encountering problems isn't functioning properly or "fine" in my opinion. The retail BB10 devices can have 8 apps open and running at once. I have 9 email accounts all syncing and do their thing alongside all of those running apps. That is functioning properly and you can't do those things with only 1GB of RAM. At least I sure couldn't on my Dev Alpha.

Lastly, I don't care if the Q10 was made with only 1GB. What I care about is the fact that you have constantly doubted if others had used a 1GB BB10 device, yet you can't prove that you yourself have. You even doubted if I had used one when I was the 5th developer in the world to be handed a Dev Alpha A. I know because I was the 5th person in line at BlackBerry Jams in Orlando, May 2012. You doubted me, and I rather easily supplied evidence that I have indeed used a Dev Alpha. Why aren't you able to do the same thing?
    05-20-13 12:11 PM
    If you actually took the time to search, you would see that others have posted about the existence of the 1GB Q10.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/#post8236579
    Quit trying to put words in my mouth. If you would read my posts, you would notice that I never doubted if it existed or not. Try reading what you quoted from me. That isn't me saying they aren't real. That is me doubting if you have one or not. Simply because you refuse to post any evidence that you do indeed have one. What do you expect?

Look at the facts, you just spent more time searching for that article than it would have taken you to post a picture of your 1GB Q10. It is kinda strange.
    05-20-13 12:15 PM
    You even doubted if I had used one when I was the 5th developer in the world to be handed a Dev Alpha A. I know because I was the 5th person in line at BlackBerry Jams in Orlando, May 2012. You doubted me, and I rather easily supplied evidence that I have indeed used a Dev Alpha.
    Prove that you were the 5th person to get a Dev Alpha. Pic please. LOL
    Last edited by Bluenoser63; 05-20-13 at 12:28 PM.
    05-20-13 12:16 PM
    I have several playbooks and as much as I would like to see BB10 running on it, IMHO it's just not gonna happen.

1: It's legacy hardware

2: Limited RAM

3: A lot of BB resources would be needed to code for the tablet interface and limited RAM.

I believe it would be better to update the existing O/S, just not with BB10

Life goes on.

-Jeff
    05-20-13 12:28 PM
    Prove that you were the 5th person to get a Dev Alpha. Pic please. LOL

No BlackBerry 10 for the PlayBook?!-img-20120502-00082-1-.jpg

Lol really surprised I still have this photo.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    Thunderbuck and danprown like this.
    05-20-13 12:29 PM
172 ... 4567