I have a few thoughts on this. I might be wrong or some might not agree, but here's what I feel about it :
    I have had the PB since launch day and ever since BB10 got announced along with a vague promise (?) of it being launched for the PB, I was kind of waiting for BB10 on the PB.
    Once the Z10 launched and I started using it, one thing became abundantly clear that Bb10 was smooth and snappy and it also dawned on me that the PB simply doesn't have the horsepower to run this. As it is the PB is barely running OS2. The browsers on the PB (which I used to like) seems like a slow turtle in front of the Z10 browser. I don't see how the PB would be capable of running the BB10.
    Secondly, from what I understand BlackBerry would be launching a big screen phone around the 5" size (phablet...). This phablet would have the horsepower to run BB10 obviously and it is only 2" smaller than the PB, so basically that's your PlayBook 2 right there. It won't take them long to launch a 7" device from there. With this in mind, I wouldn't put it past BlackBerry to not release an update for PB and basically abandon it. The effort that would be needed to run BB10 on the PlayBook would be better served if they made new devices.
    The PlayBook is end of life looking at it from a typical electronic device life cycle.
    Lastly, I'm sure BlackBerry wants to put the PlayBook name under the covers. Launching a PlayBook 2 would kill it because of the name.
    It would be better for BlackBerry to claim they are out of the tablet business and the launch a 5" Phone and a 7" Phone and name it P10 (P=Playbook, but only BlackBerry would know that).
    Just my 2 cents although it's more like $2 considering the length.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 01:37 AM
    I have more than three running at a time. So you aren't talking the truth.
    You may be able to squeeze in 3 or 4 if those apps use a low amount of memory. Something like the browser, even running by itself without any other app running in parallel, will crash VERY frequently with 1GB RAM. Look, I can't indulge too much details, but let's just say I used 1GB version of the device for a LONG time, with both the pre-release BB10 version and the released BB10 version. It may be adequate for SOME users, but there will be a LOT of complains if BB ever released a 1GB device.
    05-19-13 02:39 AM
    I thinl people are really underestimating the PlayBook multitasking power, I had over 10 apps open at one point, once I played 2 youtube videos, one in the app and one in the browser as well as a radio app (Nobex) all at the same time.

It might have just 1GB but it's very powerful, the reason many stick to it 2 years later.

I just want the ability to run the BB10 apps I bought, that's all.
    05-19-13 03:08 AM
    Going Back to the REAL topic of this thread. Heins did not say that BB10 is NOT coming to PB. What I got from his answer is that it is no longer a priority at this point. My best guess is that it's somewhere down the pipeline (and most likely a toned down version of BB10, including only some features that Blackberry believes will be appropriate for the limited use of tablets in the future). Bear in mind that the market is moving quickly and the outlook for tablets is not the same today than it was a year ago. Blackberry cannot afford to waste ressources at this point on something that they don't belive in. Unlike Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, they don't have the luxury to do that just to satisfy existing PB customers. On the other hand, If the plans for BB10 on PB are scrapped, then I believe Blackberry will say it outright (Ever since Thorsein Heins took over, I don't recall he has misled or broken his promises, despite a few disappointment on his promised "surprises").

To be honest, for my part, I am mostly interested in apps for PB. Not sure what other BB10 features would be useful? maybe a remember app, a better browser??

my 2 c
    Korepab likes this.
    05-19-13 04:04 AM
    Going Back to the REAL topic of this thread. Heins did not say that BB10 is NOT coming to PB. What I got from his answer is that it is no longer a priority at this point. My best guess is that it's somewhere down the pipeline (and most likely a toned down version of BB10, including only some features that Blackberry believes will be appropriate for the limited use of tablets in the future). Bear in mind that the market is moving quickly and the outlook for tablets is not the same today than it was a year ago. Blackberry cannot afford to waste ressources at this point on something that they don't belive in. Unlike Samsung, Apple, Microsoft, they don't have the luxury to do that just to satisfy existing PB customers. On the other hand, If the plans for BB10 on PB are scrapped, then I believe Blackberry will say it outright (Ever since Thorsein Heins took over, I don't recall he has misled or broken his promises, despite a few disappointment on his promised "surprises").

To be honest, for my part, I am mostly interested in apps for PB. Not sure what other BB10 features would be useful? maybe a remember app, a better browser??

my 2 c
    To say it's no longer a priority implies that it has been a priority at some point, which it hasn't. I'd say it's even less of apriority now then it ever was.
    jegs2 likes this.
    05-19-13 04:29 AM
    Bb10 will come for sure....there's no point discussing that
    I just feel atleast roll out bbm before ios and androids
    Rumoured beta os 10.2 might be available to all devices
    05-19-13 04:41 AM
    To say it's no longer a priority implies that it has been a priority at some point, which it hasn't. I'd say it's even less of apriority now then it ever was.
    Well it was supposed to become a priority once the 1st BB10 phones (Q&Z) were released. That was my understanding anyway:
    Z10 ---> Q10 --- > PB10.
    05-19-13 04:46 AM
    That's a cheap shot and it's uncalled for. The update has been affirmed repeatedly, most recently within the past few weeks. We've seen leaked screenshots that suggest that work is ongoing.

There's a big difference between a good faith project that winds up having to be shelved due to insurmountable business or technical issues, and one that was never seriously intended to see the light of day.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    05-19-13 06:23 AM
    Personally I never saw BB10 coming to PB, I think many thought it unlikely. I don't think I need it either, just a few updates to fix bridge, browser and a couple of other minor things.

If you're not going to do it don't say it though, because if (although I think when) it doesn't arrive people will inevitably feel misled. I would really feel for those who bought a PB on the promise of BB10 coming, a risk they chose yes that's true because you should know not all that is promised is not always the case, but never the less it moved some old Playbooks off the shelves into the hands of people who hoped for more. Deliberate? who knows, not me that's for sure.
    05-19-13 06:44 AM
    Personally I never saw BB10 coming to PB, I think many thought it unlikely...
    Based on what, exactly? A year ago there were a significant number of people "never saw" BB10 coming out at all, so unless your suspicion is supported by some facts, I'm not terribly interested.

If you're not going to do it don't say it though, because if (although I think when) it doesn't arrive people will inevitably feel misled...
    That's an outright accusation of bad faith at best. Again, what do you see in the company's behavior that makes such a supposition reasonable?

05-19-13 06:51 AM
    You may be able to squeeze in 3 or 4 if those apps use a low amount of memory. Something like the browser, even running by itself without any other app running in parallel, will crash VERY frequently with 1GB RAM. Look, I can't indulge too much details, but let's just say I used 1GB version of the device for a LONG time, with both the pre-release BB10 version and the released BB10 version. It may be adequate for SOME users, but there will be a LOT of complains if BB ever released a 1GB device.
    Now if Saiga actually had any consistency, he would go after you and tell you that you are a liar. Because it is case closed that the 1GB device you have doesn't exist. If it doesn't exist, then it can't crash frequently. As you said, this device runs adequate for some. Now strip out the HUB, which isn't needed on the Playbook, strip out the phone substructure and you will have an OS that works just fine on a Playbook. Remember folks, we are talking about having BB10 on a Playbook, not a smartphone. They are two different animals. But BB10 and OS2.1 are very close in terms of the underlying OS. The only real difference is that BB10 is now MORE efficient and they have added a BB10 GUI layer in the terms of cascades. If Cascades is that inefficient that it can't run on the Playbook, they should go back to the drawing board. BBRY programmers are much better than that.
    05-19-13 07:02 AM
    Oh such a hostile response.

It might have escaped the notice of some but not all that BlackBerry have been purposely avoiding the questions on the Playbook update. Why do this, then state tablets have 5 years left if you are creating an update for older technology.

We're you as hostile in your message to BlackBerry when you asked Thors on what he based his assumption that tablets are dead in five years on, or did you not challenge that? I assume you also pointed out that in his remarks about apple being old hat he never pointed out exactly why or why BlackBerry was better?

I am entitled to an opinion and you are equally entitled to disagree but remarks that you are not interested are a little touchy. Or just because I have a playbook and Z10, both of which I like for the most part should I pick up a BlackBerry hymn sheet and start singing from it?

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 07:08 AM
    My last was to Thunderbuck, I didn't quote so just to be clear

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 07:10 AM
    Oh such a hostile response.

It might have escaped the notice of some but not all that BlackBerry have been purposely avoiding the questions on the Playbook update. Why do this, then state tablets have 5 years left if you are creating an update for older technology...
    That "5 year" remark was taken out of context and doesn't even deserve a place in this discussion (unless you're expecting BlackBerry to keep providing updates to existing PlayBooks for another five years).

Heins remarks just go back to the whole "mobile computing" thing. The point he was making was that he saw people carrying around one small device that could effortlessly connect to a variety of screens for different uses. Including a tablet-sized one, if you so desire. He wasn't saying the form-factor wouldn't be around, he was saying the self-contained tablet as we now know it would be supplanted by tablet-sized "dumb" screens that would depend on our mobiles for connectivity and computing power.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the PlayBook and its update to BB10. That's a "legacy" device that they've committed to supporting. That commitment has been clear and consistent.

05-19-13 07:22 AM
    The Q10 will sell tens of millions, another example where is the evidence there? surely that's just his personal opinion I see no fact as you derided me for.

I personally don't think the PB BB10 Os will happen, that's my opinion based on comments and ominous silences. I can have that opinion just as Thors can have his.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 07:44 AM
    The Q10 will sell tens of millions, another example where is the evidence there? surely that's just his personal opinion I see no fact as you derided me for.

I personally don't think the PB BB10 Os will happen, that's my opinion based on comments and ominous silences. I can have that opinion just as Thors can have his.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know where the "tens of millions" of Q10 sales comment came from, but over the course of a couple of years that (rather vague) figure isn't out of the question.

And you're entitled to the opinion that BB10 won't make it to the PlayBook. I don't share that opinion but I'll be the first to admit that I don't know for sure. When you state that the company has been deliberately misleading users, though, I have to wonder what that's based on. That's not your opinion, it's an accusation.

05-19-13 07:53 AM
    Hmm I cleared said if (although personally I think when) as in in my opinion.

Do you get this touchy every time someone says anything negative about BlackBerry? Or am I supposed to just be positive all the time and be a robot?

I also ended with "who knows, not me for sure" just in case you were in further doubt it was my opinion but nothing is certain in life or did you ignore that bit because it wasn't BlackBerry negative.

I'm sorry you feel the need to be hostile if someone says something you don't agree with. Doesn't mean I won't say it though.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 08:02 AM
    Your post implied a serious accusation that BlackBerry deliberately mislead customers. If you have any evidence to back that up I'd be very interested in seeing it, because as a shareholder I'd want to take it to Investor Relations right away. And as a PlayBook owner I'd want to consider filing a class action suit.

And you?re welcome to review my posting history. I'm hardly "mindlessly positive" about BlackBerry.

05-19-13 08:15 AM
    Agree. The Playbook is not going to save Blackberry.
    05-19-13 08:16 AM
    Thunderbuck, you do make me chuckle.

It's my opinion it's unlikely to happen, i'm not going to change that opinion because you want to waggle i'm a shareholder about it changes nothing anyone can be a shareholder. As for serious accusation, dear me get real, you think everyone should agree and say yes it will happen or you will get hostile. You come across as a keyboard warrior who simply wants to make himself sound greatly important. You would think someone with a lot of posts would be wise and realise the internet is full of opinions. So are BlackBerry management but they haven't backed up ever single one they make and I don't see you asking them to. Class action lawsuits dear me next you'll be riding out to meet the bandits at noon.

It seems you don't like a contrary OPINION to yours, sorry to hear that but I stand with the same point. I doubt it will come and no amount of flag waving or telling me your a shareholder or even Thors best friend will simply make change it.

Dear me you'd think I just urinated in your cheerios.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 11:14 AM
    I just hope PB gets the same browser from BB10. That's the number one thing I want on the PB.
    05-19-13 01:19 PM
    That's a cheap shot and it's uncalled for. The update has been affirmed repeatedly, most recently within the past few weeks. We've seen leaked screenshots that suggest that work is ongoing.

There's a big difference between a good faith project that winds up having to be shelved due to insurmountable business or technical issues, and one that was never seriously intended to see the light of day.

Nope. It's spot on. If there were to be an upgrade it would be here already. It wouldn't be thrown out as an afterthought...which is what is will be if it ever cones out. I'll give even money it won't.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 01:28 PM
    It seems like a poor business decision in the first place. It really couldn't have effected pb sales much since they were almost totally off the shelves when they announced it anyway. So why did they even agree to do this in the first place? Pouring a ton of cash and labor into something with zero return = a bad investment.

Posted via CB10
    I have never seen a company make as many poorly-considered decisions as BBRY. From fragmented OS "leaks", the way they allow the carriers to abuse them AND their customers, the entire comic-tragedy that is play book, to ignoring the iPhone to the point that you're telling yourself it's all smoke and mirrors, lying to the very last people on earth who care if you live or die....

BBRY really has no place in the market.
    05-19-13 02:01 PM
    Nope. It's spot on. If there were to be an upgrade it would be here already. It wouldn't be thrown out as an afterthought...which is what is will be if it ever cones out. I'll give even money it won't.

Posted via CB10
    It "would be here already". You come to this conclusion based on... what, your extensive project management experience? You think stuff just magically materializes?

So, for instance, if BlackBerry management realized that they'd have to have delayed the Q10 launch, or they'd have to let a BES feature target slip, that they should still leave resources working on an update for a two year old device of which they likely don't even have any more inventory? That doesn't mean the update is cancelled, just that they have more pressing needs. There's a huge difference between "effective execution" and "perfect execution".

And the "cheap shot" I was referring to was the notion that BlackBerry deliberately misled customers with a bad faith commitment. Again there's a big leap from "I don't trust your ability to execute" and "you lie to your customers".

05-19-13 02:32 PM
    I have a few thoughts on this. I might be wrong or some might not agree, but here's what I feel about it :
    I have had the PB since launch day and ever since BB10 got announced along with a vague promise (?) of it being launched for the PB, I was kind of waiting for BB10 on the PB.
    Once the Z10 launched and I started using it, one thing became abundantly clear that Bb10 was smooth and snappy and it also dawned on me that the PB simply doesn't have the horsepower to run this. As it is the PB is barely running OS2. The browsers on the PB (which I used to like) seems like a slow turtle in front of the Z10 browser. I don't see how the PB would be capable of running the BB10.
    Secondly, from what I understand BlackBerry would be launching a big screen phone around the 5" size (phablet...). This phablet would have the horsepower to run BB10 obviously and it is only 2" smaller than the PB, so basically that's your PlayBook 2 right there. It won't take them long to launch a 7" device from there. With this in mind, I wouldn't put it past BlackBerry to not release an update for PB and basically abandon it. The effort that would be needed to run BB10 on the PlayBook would be better served if they made new devices.
    The PlayBook is end of life looking at it from a typical electronic device life cycle.
    Lastly, I'm sure BlackBerry wants to put the PlayBook name under the covers. Launching a PlayBook 2 would kill it because of the name.
    It would be better for BlackBerry to claim they are out of the tablet business and the launch a 5" Phone and a 7" Phone and name it P10 (P=Playbook, but only BlackBerry would know that).
    Just my 2 cents although it's more like $2 considering the length.

Posted via CB10
    The PlayBook seems slow because the majority of it runs on AIR apps. The Z10 runs AIR apps slow too, like the Setup app! The hub is what takes up space in RAM and it is one aspect not needed in a tablet. Adobe AIR sucks and thankfully it is being replaced by Cascades in BB10.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 04:19 PM
172 ... 34567