That is funny. Because all the employees of RIM were given 1 GB phones as trials for BB10. Why did they make those devices if they weren't going to work. Why were developers given BB10 on Dev Alpha devices if it wasn't going to function. BB10 and OS 2.1 are not that much different on the back end. All that is needed is to create libs for cascades and other GUI elements and BB10 would be there.
    They had 1GB RAM because at the time (you are talking at least 1+ year ago), Blackberry didn't realize BB10 would require at least 2 GB RAM. They made the decision to switch to 2GB toward the end of last summer.

Let's put it this way. If 1GB was adequate, wouldn't Q5, a mid-range smartphone, be released with 1GB RAM?

You CANNOT run BB10 with 1GB RAM. It is a bad user experience. You may be able to run a couple apps in parallel. As soon as you start running 3+ apps, they start crashing.
    05-15-13 12:31 AM
    I'd be happy with a more toned down BB10 experience. Updated browser and ability to run any current BB10 app, with BBM added on top. Oh and an updated keyboard too. I don't need the full hub experience, that's what my phone is for.

Posted via CB10
    BBMak likes this.
    05-15-13 01:46 AM
    BB10 on Playbook without active frames and the Hub is fine with me.

Main things for me are an improved browser and a unified app store with the BB10 devices. Current multitasking and messaging capabilities work well enough!
    05-15-13 02:03 AM
    I'd be happy with a more toned down BB10 experience. Updated browser and ability to run any current BB10 app, with BBM added on top. Oh and an updated keyboard too. I don't need the full hub experience, that's what my phone is for.

Posted via CB10
    ha that's exactly what i said.
    05-15-13 02:04 AM
    If they do not deliver on bb10 for the PB I may leave BlackBerry all together.
    We shall see.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Me probably as well! Will make my investments somewhere else! The Playbook attracted me to BB for the first time...seems they will loose me again!
    05-15-13 02:07 AM
    They had 1GB RAM because at the time (you are talking at least 1+ year ago), Blackberry didn't realize BB10 would require at least 2 GB RAM. They made the decision to switch to 2GB toward the end of last summer.

Let's put it this way. If 1GB was adequate, wouldn't Q5, a mid-range smartphone, be released with 1GB RAM?

You CANNOT run BB10 with 1GB RAM. It is a bad user experience. You may be able to run a couple apps in parallel. As soon as you start running 3+ apps, they start crashing.
    I also guess this 1GB is nonsense! 2GB defintely gives all future BB developments more air to breath, but it doesn't mean that 1GB is too less today. It is just redicilous and repeated over and over again. I don't think this would be the reason for not releasing BB10 and if - 4 open apps at a time is till enough!

Most people want to benefit from BB10 improvements like the browser, maps, DLNA (I want to use my PB finally as media controller!!!), better Email, the hub, Skype, etc.
    It's time for BB to lift the curtain and make clear statements! NOW or NEVER!
    Carterbits likes this.
    05-15-13 02:16 AM
    Settle down, everyone. I'm pretty sure the PlayBook will get some love here.

For those who are worried about performance, remember that the Dev Alpha A was essentially a shrunken 3G PlayBook. The OS that mine originally had was a dog that took 4 minutes to boot and looked just like OS2.1. BB steadily improved the OS, though, to the point that with the release version of BB10 boot time was down to a minute and overall performance was much better.

Personally, I think BB10 on the PlayBook is going to be missing a little functionality compared to the Z10, but it should still be perfectly usable.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    05-15-13 02:18 AM
    The problem is that not we should guess if it comes or not based on 1GB or 2GB of RAM. BB made an announcement in January (and before) that BB10 will come to the PB! The current event where they present all their roadmaps, etc. is the RIGHT time to update us on this as well! I do not expect it to be mentioned in the keynote session but avoiding any clear answers is UNFAIR - For me it is a now or never moment! Get out with the facts BB! We DESERVE this clearness! I don't want to read any irrelevant threads of users anymore that think 2 GB is a must have and "insider"-informations from BB10 compatibility layer to full functionality only 2 weeks around the corner!

PS: I was playing a lot with the thought to go for an Z10 and also promote BB phones in our family because it would all play neatly together with the PBs we have. BB, do you hear that - this plan is an idea of the past if you don't come up with clear statements very soon!
    Last edited by kraschute; 05-15-13 at 03:14 AM.
    05-15-13 02:28 AM

It may be as simple as 2gb of ram is now cheaper to buy than 1gb of ram, or BBRY's RAM supplier only makes 2gb chips now etc.

Any company that designs and builds their own hardware and software ought to be able to make the two work together - if they can't they may as well just pack up and call in the receiver.

Don't forget - the PB doesn't have any phone functionatility so all this can be stripped out of BB10 as it's not required.

My own personal opinion is that BB10 is not as portable as BBRY would like everyone to beleive which is why there are hardware specific versions, which is a pretty big own goal if you ask me.
    05-15-13 02:39 AM
    Wasn't QNX supposed to work fast on modest hardware? How come BB10 now needs 2G+ or RAM and dual core processors?

BB10 was promised A LOT for the PB on BB social networks, if they back out of it now I don't know. PB doesn't need the Hub, it just needs to run BB10 apps, that's all.
    05-15-13 03:09 AM
    Does the AIR stuff take up less space than the native stuff or what?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk
    05-15-13 07:44 AM
    Id be disappointed but the PlayBook served me well. And ive gotten great
    Use out of what's it worth.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    05-15-13 07:52 AM
    If they do not deliver on bb10 for the PB I may leave BlackBerry all together.
    We shall see.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    There is a newer Playbook coming out in Q3 / Q4 of this year. Likely BlackBerry has given up on all development of the old style Playbooks.
    05-15-13 07:56 AM
    That is funny. Because all the employees of RIM were given 1 GB phones as trials for BB10. Why did they make those devices if they weren't going to work. Why were developers given BB10 on Dev Alpha devices if it wasn't going to function. BB10 and OS 2.1 are not that much different on the back end. All that is needed is to create libs for cascades and other GUI elements and BB10 would be there.
    I think you are missing the very obvious point, after seeing how it ran on 1gb devices, they made sure that never went near a final product.

As far as bb10 on the playbook, I think that they still intend to make that happen, it is simply the case that it is tougher to trim stuff down so that it is a clear upgrade from os2.1 on the performance side and for such a limited audience it is going to be lower priority than getting new phones in the shops.

While these delays annoy some playbook owners, the pr downside of releasing bb10 in a poor form on any device far outweighs that annoyance by a long way since the media already thinks the playbook is a joke as it is.
    05-15-13 08:17 AM
    I really wish people would stop making new thread about this dead horse.
    The temptation to be chicken little is strong.

Stop making your own conclusions and wait for an official word. You'll live a less stressed life that way.
    05-15-13 08:26 AM
    I just want my pb to be a good tablet again. I want the app eco system
    I'm already debating getting an I pad.

Had my pb since launch day and paid way too much.

I tell ppl not to get a pb when they ask.
    05-15-13 08:29 AM
    I really wish people would stop making new thread about this dead horse....Stop making your own conclusions and wait for an official word.
    And what do you think most people complaing here ask for? Official words and clear statements!
    These people will have their own opinios why it is not yet a dead horse or why it doesn't make sense to raise the pile of electro waste another time for no real good reason...
    05-15-13 10:20 AM
    I just want my pb to be a good tablet again. I want the app eco system
    I'm already debating getting an I pad.

Had my pb since launch day and paid way too much.

I tell ppl not to get a pb when they ask.
    Good tablet again? At what point did it become a bad tablet? Genuinely curious.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 10:53 AM
    It's never been a very good tablet.
    The app eco system stinks.
    Very few quality games, video services etc.
    Only saving grace is flash video in the browser.
    It has become a very pricey e reader.

The Ipad has much better games and apps.

It's a no Brainer

I own no apple products currently. I am a bbry man through and through.
    But for tablets, apple does it best. This cannot be argued.
    Last edited by stabstabdie; 05-15-13 at 01:26 PM.
    05-15-13 11:01 AM

I have more than three running at a time. So you aren't talking the truth.
    05-15-13 11:03 AM
    I think you are missing the very obvious point, after seeing how it ran on 1gb devices, they made sure that never went near a final product.

As far as bb10 on the playbook, I think that they still intend to make that happen, it is simply the case that it is tougher to trim stuff down so that it is a clear upgrade from os2.1 on the performance side and for such a limited audience it is going to be lower priority than getting new phones in the shops.

While these delays annoy some playbook owners, the pr downside of releasing bb10 in a poor form on any device far outweighs that annoyance by a long way since the media already thinks the playbook is a joke as it is.
    Have YOU actually seen or run a BB10 device with 1GB of RAM? I have. They work just fine thank you.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-15-13 11:05 AM
    Yall panicking acting like females making a scene.BB said 6 devices will be released so far 3 are announced add the ''aristo'' thats 4.We know a 10 inch PB exist thats 5 can only assume a new 7 inch PB will follow that or a slider phone. 6 bb10 devices.

PB will get bb10 1Gb is enough to run maybe not fully but will run it when you add bridge functionality you sort of get 3 gigs of ram.You guys underestimate 1gb PB. and bridge.

Sweat not brothers and sisters it will all come in place just be patient lets get this phone and platform out the more the platform soaks up in apps tweaks, improvements the better your tablet exp will be.
    05-15-13 11:30 AM
    My PlayBook is a tool, just like it is for many of you. It still does things that the competition can only dream of in terms of presentation functionality. I don't care one way or the other if the PlayBook gets BB10 or not, for me it's still a competitive and highly functional tablet that currently can't be replaced, but they really have to sort out Bridge, they've ballsed it up big time. To those complaining about how old a PlayBook feels at 2 years old, try a 2 year old Samsung and tell me what you think.
    05-15-13 11:46 AM
    Have YOU actually seen or run a BB10 device with 1GB of RAM? I have. They work just fine thank you.
    Are you just fibbing? Serious question. You're the only person I've ever seen make that claim. I know what my own personal experince is and I've seen countless other developers and even the staff of this website share similar experinces. Yet you still say 1GB phones will run the full BB10 os fine. Starting to make me wonder if you've ever used a BB10 device at all.

Like I've said, both of my retail BB10 devices boot up with less than 1GB of free memory. So how well would that work out on a Dev Alpha A or B? Certainly not "fine". Maybe your definition of fine is way different than most people's.
    05-15-13 11:50 AM
    Only way bb10 would work for the PlayBook would be if it doesn't have the hub, and even then, I'm skeptical if 1gb is enough ram to handle the os properly.

Posted via CB10
    ***yyyaaawn*** not again...

How to Run #BB10 on your BlackBerry #PlayBook ← Open Source BlackBerry – OSBB
    05-15-13 11:55 AM
172 1234 ...