While we have all been promised by Heins to receive BB10 on our good old PlayBooks in the near future, it looks like BlackBerry is now dropping their PB support.

I just read this article
    BlackBerry PlayBook not getting BlackBerry 10 update? | T3

I don't know if we are to believe this one particular article, but Heins does seem to be exceptionally vague about Blackberry's future endaevors on the tablet market. I will be very dissapointed not to see a new BB10 tablet, or BB10 on the Playbook. I love the Playbook, but to be honest, the Playbook OS 2.1 is getting old fast. With the competition updating their software and hardware, it looks like I'll be forced to buy a tablet from another manufacturer in the near future. I surely hope not because (even today) I still consider the PB to be one of the best tablet around.

What do you guys think? Should Blackberry come up with a new 7-10 inch tablet? And are you guys just as disappointed when BB10 won't come to the PB?
    05-14-13 05:21 PM
    If they do not deliver on bb10 for the PB I may leave BlackBerry all together.
    We shall see.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    05-14-13 05:31 PM
    Does blackberry consider the playbook a legacy device, in the same light as bb 7 phones?
    05-14-13 05:37 PM
    Only way bb10 would work for the PlayBook would be if it doesn't have the hub, and even then, I'm skeptical if 1gb is enough ram to handle the os properly.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 05:42 PM
    Only way bb10 would work for the PlayBook would be if it doesn't have the hub, and even then, I'm skeptical if 1gb is enough ram to handle the os properly.

Posted via CB10
    Since you don't have any experience with the device before you post, the dev alpha device only had 1 GB and the early Q10 also had only 1 GB. Both ran BB10 fine. I have both so I know of what I speak of.
    05-14-13 05:49 PM
    Let's face it the PlayBook hardware is out date however it will be updated. There will be lots of rumors but just hold Thor to his words. The PlayBook will get BB10

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 06:05 PM
    I'm gonna be seriously disappointed if nothing about the PlayBook and BB10 isn't mentioned at BB live
    05-14-13 06:45 PM
    Let's face it the PlayBook hardware is out date however it will be updated. There will be lots of rumors but just hold Thor to his words. The PlayBook will get BB10

Posted via CB10
    That's BS. They just announced Q5 which has Snapdragon S3 dual core CPU, which is way worse than Playbook's TI4430.
    mkelley65 and dmlis like this.
    05-14-13 06:50 PM
    Since you don't have any experience with the device before you post, the dev alpha device only had 1 GB and the early Q10 also had only 1 GB. Both ran BB10 fine. I have both so I know of what I speak of.
    That's strange. Kevin just reposted his future of Playbook post, which says that BB10 runs like a dog on Playbook and that Playbook would be better served with a 2.1 update to let BB10 apps run on PB.
    05-14-13 06:54 PM
    Could be a case of BB reverting to old form..... bad history of announcing things and not following through.... as we were told the end of this year... I have no faith in BB word for a long time... better track record recently but too easy to back slide.... If it does not happen... oh well... do not know too many devices that are over 2 years old that receive a totally revamped OS... had not expectations... so I will not be let down....
    05-14-13 07:14 PM
    What Thor seems to be saying is that the PB- BB10 software update is not worth the investment of R&D funds. Trouble is that his integrity is on the line. I expect that we will get an update so that BB10 apps can run. Personally I do not care, I wrote off my PB investment about the same time RIM did.
    Alphax45 and CairnsRock like this.
    05-14-13 07:14 PM
    That's strange. Kevin just reposted his future of Playbook post, which says that BB10 runs like a dog on Playbook and that Playbook would be better served with a 2.1 update to let BB10 apps run on PB.
    Me thinks that Kevin tries hard to break the blow that "the bridge" and the PB are just "old RIM" and can't we just move on.
    05-14-13 07:16 PM
    My BlackBerry insider that's in the engineering dept said the ui on the pb will stay the same but it will have the ability to run bb10 apps.

This was told to me about 5 months ago but I was never given a date.

All I want is the app ecosystem. I could care less about the ui. I'd also like to have native bbm before an iphone or android will...

Sent from my game boy color
    05-14-13 10:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    The 1 gig is something I was concerned about also.

Tim

05-14-13 10:30 PM
    They just need a real browser not that crap air one
    05-14-13 10:36 PM
    Not shocked at all. BlackBerry gave up on the PlayBook months ago. Sucks for the early adopters. Glad I only paid 130 for mine.

You know my steez using Samsung Galaxy S4
    05-14-13 10:38 PM
    The 1 gig is something I was concerned about also.

Tim

The Dev Alpha device and Early Q10s only had 1GB of RAM and ran fine.
    kraschute likes this.
    05-14-13 10:40 PM
    If a picture is worth 1000 words....
    Attached Thumbnails No BlackBerry 10 for the PlayBook?!-50k_homeless_playbook.jpg  
    05-14-13 10:42 PM
    What in the world are you on about? The Dev Alpha A and B will not run the full BlackBerry 10 OS "fine". The limited amount of RAM cripples them. I know because I tired running the full OS with only 1GB of RAM. BlackBerry 10 is a resource hogging OS, or atleast the Hub is a resource hog.

No BlackBerry 10 for the PlayBook?!-img_00000044.png

Look at that screen shot. Study it carefully. What do you see? My Dev Alpha C, which is just a dressed up Q10 is currently using over 1GB of RAM. The only thing I have opened is the Hub and the CB10 app. So How well do you think my phone would be running right now if it only had 1GB of RAM?

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    05-14-13 10:52 PM
    What in the world are you on about? The Dev Alpha A and B will not run the full BlackBerry 10 OS "fine". The limited amount of RAM cripples them. I know because I tired running the full OS with only 1GB of RAM. BlackBerry 10 is a resource hogging OS, or atleast the Hub is a resource hog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000044.png 
Views:	935 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	161739

Look at that screen shot. Study it carefully. What do you see? My Dev Alpha C, which is just a dressed up Q10 is currently using over 1GB of RAM. The only thing I have opened is the Hub and the CB10 app. So How well do you think my phone would be running right now if it only had 1GB of RAM?

I have a pre release of the Q10 (SQN100-3) with 1GB of RAM. I am using the HUB, the brower, app world, Docs to Go. I still have about 300MB or RAM left. It is running 10.1.0.1483 and it works just fine.

I also had a Dev Alpha running the latest 10.0.9 software and used it for emails, browsing and writing apps. I never had a problem with it and it ran just fine.

The Dev Alpha was just like a mini playbook and it ran as fast or faster than the Playbook with OS 2.1 on it. RAM has nothing to do with it.
    Carterbits likes this.
    05-14-13 11:11 PM
    When I bought my PlayBook I didn't know they were plans to bring BlackBerry 10 to the PlayBook. I don't mind that BB10 isn't going to PlayBook. I do have a Z10 since launch date. I still use my PlayBook all the time. That being said, they did make a promise and they should keep it. I'm not a programmer and know nothing about it. But, if there is a reason that they're not bringing BB10 to PlayBook they should say why. Perhaps it was more difficult than they first thought. But, they said they would continue supporting legacy devices. I hope that when they say legacy devices that would include the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 11:12 PM
    Bb has let me down way too many times. If they don't follow up on this promise I will never use nor allow myself to recommend anyone a bb product in future.
    05-14-13 11:45 PM
    I have a pre release of the Q10 (SQN100-3) with 1GB of RAM. I am using the HUB, the brower, app world, Docs to Go. I still have about 300MB or RAM left. It is running 10.1.0.1483 and it works just fine.

I also had a Dev Alpha running the latest 10.0.9 software and used it for emails, browsing and writing apps. I never had a problem with it and it ran just fine.

The Dev Alpha was just like a mini playbook and it ran as fast or faster than the Playbook with OS 2.1 on it. RAM has nothing to do with it.
    Lol, so why does the BlackBerry Q5, the cheap, entery to mid-range, BB10 smartphone have 2GB of RAM? You should phone Thorsten and let him know that BB10 runs "fine" with half that.

It's crazy, but I can't name a single mid-range smartphone that includes 2GB of RAM. I thought BlackBerry was in the experience race and not the specc race. Ya think maybe they gave a cheap device 2GB worth of RAM because it was required?

I gotta say, you must be blessed with some amazing luck. Afterall, everyone I've talked too says BB10 needs 2GB of RAM to function properly, including BlackBerry employees.

For fun, I just rebooted both my LE Z10 and my DAC and neither one of them show a GB of free memory. At reboot, with OS 10.1, a full GB is used up before I've even had time to launch any apps besides settings. Odd

05-14-13 11:51 PM
    After seeing the first BlackBerry 10 phones launch with much more RAM and better processors I was pretty sure BlackBerry 10 on the PlayBook would not perform well. We'll see what happens though.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    05-15-13 12:09 AM
    I gotta say, you must be blessed with some amazing luck. Afterall, everyone I've talked too says BB10 needs 2GB of RAM to function properly, including BlackBerry employees.
    That is funny. Because all the employees of RIM were given 1 GB phones as trials for BB10. Why did they make those devices if they weren't going to work. Why were developers given BB10 on Dev Alpha devices if it wasn't going to function. BB10 and OS 2.1 are not that much different on the back end. All that is needed is to create libs for cascades and other GUI elements and BB10 would be there.
    05-15-13 12:24 AM
172 123 ...