This is weird. I have no Bing Maps icon on my PlayBook. It's not in app world and it's not showing in my apps installed/uninstalled. No software updates either.
    09-29-12 01:41 PM
    Still seeing mine here! Just opened it and all is well. I don't really use it much as I find it's not very responsive over all.
    09-29-12 01:53 PM
    Bing is a core app. I'm on 668 so it should be a download from RIM. It's like it wasn't even installed because you're not suppose to be able to delete it.
    09-29-12 01:58 PM
    Not on mine either, only had it 3 days. not that im bothered, sideloaded Google maps
    09-29-12 02:04 PM
    How did you install .668?
    09-29-12 02:06 PM
    Not on mine either, only had it 3 days. not that im bothered, sideloaded Google maps
    I take it you're running the beta then. I want it to store locations. I only have map search for google and it doesn't let you store them.
    09-29-12 02:10 PM
    How did you install .668?
    It's preloaded on the LTE. I got the update right away on the wifi version before they pulled it.
    09-29-12 02:12 PM
    Did either of you get the 1mb update?
    09-29-12 02:14 PM
    I take it you're running the beta then. I want it to store locations. I only have map search for google and it doesn't let you store them.
    Osmand lets you store favorite places.
    09-29-12 02:19 PM
    Osmand lets you store favorite places.
    Yes it's a pretty good app. I have that installed too. The maps aren't as good or accurate as Bings are though and sometime I need that.
    09-29-12 02:23 PM
    Did either of you get the 1mb update?
    I haven't got the 1mb update. Wifi or LTE.
    09-29-12 02:29 PM
    I have the 840 beta and the 1 mb update. Bing Maps is alive doing well here.
    09-29-12 02:33 PM
    Yes it's a pretty good app. I have that installed too. The maps aren't as good or accurate as Bings are though and sometime I need that.
    osmand not only supports offline vektor maps but also online maps supported by googlemaps or microsoft (bing).

just activate the online maps and select it as map source. it works great.
    i dont like bing tho and prefer google maps.

you can also sideload full android googlemaps app( without streetview).
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    09-29-12 04:31 PM
    osmand not only supports offline vektor maps but also online maps supported by googlemaps or microsoft (bing).

just activate the online maps and select it as map source. it works great.
    i dont like bing tho and prefer google maps.

you can also sideload full android googlemaps app( without streetview).
    Ok that's good news. I had downloaded the offline map and was using that. I will have to check the settings and just use it online. Yes Google Maps is still king. I don't sideload. One of the reasons I use BB is for security. I can get pretty much everything I need to use without causing risk. That's just my way of looking at it and not a put down for those who choses to. Having options is always a good thing.
    09-29-12 06:42 PM
    Ok that's good news. I had downloaded the offline map and was using that. I will have to check the settings and just use it online. Yes Google Maps is still king. I don't sideload. One of the reasons I use BB is for security. I can get pretty much everything I need to use without causing risk. That's just my way of looking at it and not a put down for those who choses to. Having options is always a good thing.
    Yeah Osmand is a great free app, great online map support when wifi is available and small quite good vector maps for offline usage + all the POIs and navigation Options
    09-29-12 07:16 PM
    Try another wifi source and then check for updates. If your Internet provider is not providing you location the RIM servers may not give you Apps for Canada.

A few people have run into this.
    09-29-12 07:28 PM
    Try another wifi source and then check for updates. If your Internet provider is not providing you location the RIM servers may not give you Apps for Canada.

A few people have run into this.
    I'm thinking it's a 668 glitch and I will get it back with the next update. The Osmand app is a good replacement anyways now that I know what it can do. It's just I didn't realize how difficult it was to set up. It has pages and pages of settings. I like having Google back as my main mapping app.
    09-29-12 09:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD