Since RIMM just releases plan to have PB 3G, does it mean RIMM gonna drop the idea of having BBM on current PB with wifi only?
    shn'g likes this.
    01-26-12 02:56 PM
    Yes! Silence and no press releases mean exactly that!

On a more serious note we don't know. From what we got from CES, they will have BBM on the PB (and there was only the WiFi versionout by then) when they can figure out how to make it work.

Sit tight and wait?
    01-26-12 03:16 PM
    I don't think there is at the current moment, however I do remember them saying it is coming in a later version of O.S 2.0.
    01-26-12 03:17 PM
    I have BBM on my PlayBook because I Bridge it to my BlackBerry. I actually sort of think this is how it should be... if a customer is in such dire need of BBM, I'd think they would already have a BlackBerry. I know a selling point of the PlayBook's is that it's portable, but I have a hard time envisioning people walking around BBMing people on a 7inch tablet...
    Last edited by SK122387; 01-26-12 at 03:22 PM.
    01-26-12 03:18 PM
    Oh well.....I will just keep using the "bridge" ....what a bummer only kidding I enjoy BBM just like it is, I have a choice with the ability of the bridge
    Last edited by spencerdl; 01-26-12 at 06:41 PM.
    01-26-12 03:20 PM
    I have BBM on my PlayBook because I Bridge it to my BlackBerry. I actually sort of think this is how it should be... if a customer is in such dire need of BBM, I'd think they would already have a BlackBerry. I know a selling point of the PlayBook's is that it's portable, but I have a hard time envisioning people walking around BBMing people on a 7inch tablet...
    Well, with that new portable keyboard case anything can happen!
    01-26-12 04:06 PM

Completely agree, if they want bbm so bad - buy a Blackberry!
    01-26-12 04:13 PM
    I think it is more of a convenience for people to talk to their friends who have BB's.
    Many non-BB owners have gone out and bought a PlayBook and obviously the first thing that comes to mind when the name 'BlackBerry' is mentioned is *BBM*.

Hopefully the feature is not squeezed out of the pipeline as I think it it could be really popular with the PB crowd.
    01-26-12 04:24 PM
    I have BBM on my PlayBook because I Bridge it to my BlackBerry. I actually sort of think this is how it should be... if a customer is in such dire need of BBM, I'd think they would already have a BlackBerry.
    Thus, this a is great reason for all PB users to BUY a BB phone!
    Support RIM!
    01-26-12 04:34 PM
    BBM is a big title for RIM, so I think the Playbook should eventually get it!
    01-26-12 04:37 PM
    Why is this so hard to believe? I don't have a blackberry phone but love the playbook. Is it not a blackberry device? with an even bigger keyboard than any phone?... Then why would I not want BBM on this device? I have friends with blackberrys and would love to be able to talk to them...

I don't quite get it why don't they just have two options.. Is this BBM on your phone? or playbook?
    emtunc and allsportsfan like this.
    01-26-12 04:39 PM
    Why is this so hard to believe? I don't have a blackberry phone but love the playbook. Is it not a blackberry device? with an even bigger keyboard than any phone?... Then why would I not want BBM on this device? I have friends with blackberrys and would love to be able to talk to them...

I don't quite get it why don't they just have two options.. Is this BBM on your phone? or playbook? and allow you to switch between them?
    This is a good point, and is why the Playbook shall eventually get BBM...
    shn'g and emtunc like this.
    01-26-12 04:40 PM
    Bridge is a crutch. Not a feature. It's meant to give some semblance of the functionality a BB tablet should have baked in (and still doesn't, these many months since release). It's a joke and I have to chuckle when people mention "bridge" as though it's a selling point rather than a band-aid.
    01-26-12 06:22 PM
    Bridge is a selling point. It is great for getting free data on the go. That is huge for me. The other current functions would be better if they were native. The new keyboard and remote function will be nice. If theybcould get other messenger apps to bridge that would be nice too. Like whatsapp and the sms app. Those are phone apps that probably will only function over bridge. Whatsapp can't have two devices with the same account kind of like bbm curently. Also I like seeing my phone calls pop up on my phone. There are a lot of great features baked into bridge. You obviously choose to look after negative.
    Barljo likes this.
    01-26-12 06:33 PM
    Actually I think bridge is a selling point, no I don't mean the messages and other PIM functions. I mean the actual data usage feature of bridge. What other WIFI only tablet can be used virtually anywhere you have cell service? Answer: NONE.

Now onto BBM, the playbook should most definitely get BBM. I could care less if I can bridge BBM from my handheld. The only thing I truly use BBM for is a couple groups I'm in. Guess what? No bridged BBM groups. So i for one certainly hope the PB gets BBM.
    Barljo likes this.
    01-26-12 06:37 PM
    But isn't wifi pretty much everywhere you go these days? If the phone has a decent browser,....which BB is finally getting there with 7,.....why not just browse with that? Carrying a proper smartphone makes having a tablet on you kinda redundant and a little silly in my opinion. I guesse I'm looking at it through an iDevice frame of reference, where the phone does most anything I'm likely to use the tablet for, plus make phone calls.
    01-26-12 07:45 PM
    That's exactly what I do. I email, text and BBM almost exclusively from the Playbook. The only time this changes is if I'm watching a show. If they added a voice chip and BBM I would get rid of the phone.
    01-26-12 07:57 PM

I don't quite get it why don't they just have two options.. Is this BBM on your phone? or playbook?
    If BBM on the PlayBook gets people like you, without a BlackBerry but a fan of the PlayBook, to buy a PlayBook, then I'm all for it. Well the PlayBook is a great device, so I'm all for everyone having it.

I'm saying that right now, PlayBooks are WiFi only, and I have a hard time seeing BlackBerry-less people rushing out to buy a PlayBook with BBM as a selling point, if it means they have to constantly be in a WiFi zone or pay to use some sort of hotspot plan on their smartphone of choice.

BBM also has the unique ability (or curse?) of being always on. There is no signing off or signing out. BBM is capable of being used to constantly chat. So if someone with a WiFi-only PlayBook leaves their house, office, etc., their BBM chats will be in limbo...just hanging there...until they get back into a WiFi zone, where they'll then receive all the BBMs they missed while they weren't in a WiFi zone.

I'm not the BBM police, everyone uses BBM differently, but I've used BBM for 6 years, and to me, the idea of stopping all use of BBM until I got back into a WiFi area and then getting slammed with all the BBMs I had missed, seems highly inconvenient and just doesn't go with the overall feel of the PlayBook's fluidity, and BlackBerrys reputation of receiving push notifications instantly...
    01-26-12 11:16 PM
    Are we to have more excuses why RIM should not do what they say, whether I'm in a wifi zone or not I should have the option of BBM on my Playbook without the need of a BB Phone as committed to by RIM.

We have supported RIM and brought a Playbooks...now RIM needs to support us and produce BBM for the playbook.
    RIM may be late, but they are ethical and should provide all the said they would.

David J. Smith, Senior Vice President at RIM
    "First off, we have decided to defer the inclusion of the BBM™ application to a subsequent BlackBerry PlayBook OS release. We are committed to developing a seamless BBM solution that fully delivers on the powerful, push based messaging capabilities recognized today by BlackBerry� users around the world and we're still working on it."
    01-27-12 02:11 AM
    from what i understand from all the talk is that they CAN put BBM on the PB as of right now but if they do it will have its own BBM PIN so that people with BBs and PBs will have two different PINs for people to contact them on... and that's just annoying. Once they find out a way to make it so that you can use the same BBM PIN on both devises then they will let us know. For now just bridge it up!!
    01-27-12 02:39 AM
    You are kidding right?
    01-27-12 05:36 AM
    Biggest omission is BBM groups...frankly 95% of my use of BBM is groups...really hurts my Blackberry experience on my Playbook.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    01-27-12 06:16 AM
    from what i understand from all the talk is that they CAN put BBM on the PB as of right now but if they do it will have its own BBM PIN so that people with BBs and PBs will have two different PINs for people to contact them on... and that's just annoying. Once they find out a way to make it so that you can use the same BBM PIN on both devises then they will let us know. For now just bridge it up!!
    Why is annoying by having 2 different PINs?
    PB and BB are 2 different devices anyway.
    Why RIMM doesn't make 2 BBM application on PB,
    BBM bridge which using BB PIN and
    native BBM which using PB PIN.
    01-27-12 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD