I was wondering if Thor's vision regarding Internet of things is possible given that BB10 can't be installed on the PB?
    07-04-13 10:38 PM
    Sure.. why not? Take any display with the capability of HDMI, Miracast, Wi-Fi direct and there you go. Technically speaking, an update to the PlayBook could allow for any BlackBerry 10 device to be mirrored onto it. A second screen of sorts, if you will. For all intents and purposes, that could be BB10 on the PlayBook LOL.
    07-04-13 10:46 PM
    I was wondering if Thor's vision regarding Internet of things is possible given that BB10 can't be installed on the PB?
    Thor is an ***** and should resign. A CEO should not say provocative things without describing what he means or have data to back it up. He just looks like a guy who is out of his depth and feels he needs to say something to justify why his company is failing.
    07-04-13 10:46 PM
    I thought BB10 and QNX was BlackBerry 's way to inter-connect "things". By not being able to install bb10 on the PB, is there an issue installing QNX or BB10 on everthing?
    07-04-13 10:48 PM
    I thought BB10 and QNX was BlackBerry 's way to inter-connect "things". By not being able to install bb10 on the PB, is there an issue installing QNX or BB10 on everthing?
    You're failing to recognize the fact that BB10 doesn't need to installed onto the 'things' in order for it to connect. My BB10 device connects to my PS3 just fine and I can play content from it. Does the PS3 run QNX? It sure doesn't.

What if you could connect your BB10 device through WiFi Direct and have everything displayed onto your PC / Mac? What if you could interact with it via a bluetooth keyboard? Essentially offering you access to everything on your BB10 device on your PC / Mac.

These are just ideas I'm pulling from the top of my head, I could go on. We're at the point with technology that with the right things in place, everything COULD be connected to each other offering varying levels of integration.
    07-04-13 10:55 PM
    If BB can make any OS to be mirrored onto the PlayBook, that would be amazing. However, that would require you to have internet access all the time.

Plus, if the phone dies the tablet becomes useless...just a brick.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-04-13 11:01 PM
    If BB can make any OS to be mirrored onto the PlayBook, that would be amazing. However, that would require you to have internet access all the time.

Plus, if the phone dies the tablet becomes useless...just a brick.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    That's fine if that's a barrier for making it work, as long as people are aware that's a barrier. I'm not disagreeing with you but the argument could be made that most people these days aren't often with out internet of some sorts and aside from that, most people who bought a PlayBook consider it a brick now anyway lol. If BB10 could be mirrored onto it, it would be a bonus some people would enjoy. Alas, it was hypothetical anyway. I used it as an example to highlight how things could potentially work seeing as how the OP for whatever reasons, seems to think you need BB10 on all things in order for them to be 'connected'
    07-04-13 11:04 PM
    You're failing to recognize the fact that BB10 doesn't need to installed onto the 'things' in order for it to connect. My BB10 device connects to my PS3 just fine and I can play content from it. Does the PS3 run QNX? It sure doesn't.

What if you could connect your BB10 device through WiFi Direct and have everything displayed onto your PC / Mac? What if you could interact with it via a bluetooth keyboard? Essentially offering you access to everything on your BB10 device on your PC / Mac.

These are just ideas I'm pulling from the top of my head, I could go on. We're at the point with technology that with the right things in place, everything COULD be connected to each other offering varying levels of integration.
    You're absolutely correct Bla1ze...

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 11:05 PM
    Sure.. why not? Take any display with the capability of HDMI, Miracast, Wi-Fi direct and there you go. Technically speaking, an update to the PlayBook could allow for any BlackBerry 10 device to be mirrored onto it. A second screen of sorts, if you will. For all intents and purposes, that could be BB10 on the PlayBook LOL.
    Pretty expensive dumb terminal. Remote keyboard event lag would probably be worse than the current PB keyboard lag. And we know the how bad that is.
    07-04-13 11:14 PM
    . I used it as an example to highlight how things could potentially work seeing as how the OP for whatever reasons, seems to think you need BB10 on all things in order for them to be 'connected'
    I guess I was thinking Internet of things was Thor's vision and not just an eventuality of technological advances. I was also under the assumption that BB10 and QNX were competitive advantages BlackBerry would be leveraging to get everything connected.
    07-04-13 11:29 PM
    I guess I was thinking Internet of things was Thor's vision and not just an eventuality of technological advances. I was also under the assumption that BB10 and QNX were the key components if getting everything connected.
    I don't think anyone is thinking about qnx as the backbone of IOTs. The key of IOTs will be driven by protocols, standards and interface, not a specific os. That's the point, just like the Internet wasn't desinged around one os, but allowed evolution in computing platforms while allowed compatibility in connectivity.
    sparkaction and app_Developer like this.
    07-04-13 11:35 PM
    The internet of things is a bit of a holy grail in the IT world. Many companies have tried and failed to accomplish this over the last few decades. Mostly it has been a problem of too many proprietary technologies that did not allow devices to connect and talk with each other.

Since QNX is installed in so many devices now and BB10 and OS2 are based on QNX, there is a real opportunity for RIM to capitalize on this to allow a handset / tablet to get data from and send data and instructions to any number of devices such as your car, fridge, thermostat, TV, medical devices or just about anything with an integrated circuit and QNX installed.

The short term plan was to get some new devices out that could be profitable and this would allow RIM to get on with developing the internet of things. With the lack of success of the Z10, Q10, declining sales of BB07 devices, slow adoption of BES 10 and the likely failure of the Q5 to catch on, RIM has no path to profitability and thus it does not have the breathing room it needs to move forward on the bigger plan.
    07-04-13 11:49 PM

Since QNX is installed in so many devices now and BB10 and OS2 are based on QNX, there is a real opportunity for RIM to capitalize on this.

Really? Do you have data to back it up. Vxworks was way more pervasive when they competed head to head. Other than some cars and a few other oems its not everywhere. In fact, this market will be eroded by Android. Forester and gartner are predicting android to dominate in embedded markets.
    07-05-13 12:06 AM
    Really? Do you have data to back it up. Vxworks was way more pervasive when they competed head to head. Other than some cars and a few other oems its not everywhere. In fact, this market will be eroded by Android. Forester and gartner are predicting android to dominate in embedded markets.
    Oh, god, google in charge of my fridge. Well, either them or the hackers they let in!
    07-05-13 12:38 AM
    Oh, god, google in charge of my fridge. Well, either them or the hackers they let in!
    Wow, that was intelligent. Thanks for advancing the conversation.
    07-05-13 12:46 AM
    BTW here is an analysis of the real time os from 2008. http://www.lisha.ufsc.br/wso/wso2009..._03.pdf‎
    07-05-13 02:35 AM
    Samsung S-Fridge. I joke but... it's real.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/11/sa...te-video-demo/
    07-05-13 03:02 AM
    Over reacting?
    Last edited by arvind1983; 07-05-13 at 04:08 AM.
    07-05-13 03:08 AM
    It seems like BB10 is the most un-optimized OS.. QNX is known for its stability and not being resource hungry. So its clear that BlackBerry developers clearly have no clue to develop the OS. They have made BB10 so clunky and made 2 GB as a minimum requirement. iPad2 is also as old as PlayBook yet it receives the latest ios 7 update. Even the cheapo android tablets can run ICS or JB. Please let me enlighten me why does BB10 require 2 GB RAM? BlackBerry developers have really failed in creating a QNX based OS! I believe PB can just run BB10 fine without a problem, but Thor the !diot wants to kill the PlayBook to focus on smartphones. He has no respect for loyal BlackBerry users! Z10 will be shelved after Aristo is released! CB fans will continue justify the company!
    07-05-13 03:18 AM
    It seems like BB10 is the most un-optimized OS.. QNX is known for its stability and not being resource hungry. So its clear that BlackBerry developers clearly have no clue to develop the OS. They have made BB10 so clunky and made 2 GB as a minimum requirement. iPad2 is also as old as PlayBook yet it receives the latest ios 7 update. Even the cheapo android tablets can run ICS or JB. Please let me enlighten me why does BB10 require 2 GB RAM? BlackBerry developers have really failed in creating a QNX based OS! I believe PB can just run BB10 fine without a problem, but Thor the !diot wants to kill the PlayBook to focus on smartphones. He has no respect for loyal BlackBerry users! Z10 will be shelved after Aristo is released! CB fans will continue justify the company!
    Crippled ios versions to make the idiots happy.

I'll hack windows 7 for you to let it run on a pentium 2, can you go post about that in linux forums as well please?

Blackberry 2012 dual core = 2000 geekbench score
    android 2013 quad core = 2000 geekbench score
    Apple 2012 dual core = 1400 geekbench score.

QNX is resource hungry so that the poor CRPF can't afford it but the jathebandis can, so we can get back to empire building!

Posted via CB10 Khalistan Zindabad
    07-05-13 04:30 AM
    That's called DLNA and hurray, we PB owner won'T be able to do that even it was promised a very long time already!
    victorshikhman likes this.
    07-05-13 05:37 AM
    Get this - my ancient Symbian phone has a DLNA server and can do DLNA playback, my Android tablet and phone can do this, but my fancy QNX PlayBook can only play back DLNA content with one single app, KalemSoft Media Player. No DLNA server on it, the same one that was promised with the BB10 that is now a forgotten dream.

This whole "QNX will enable all sorts of mobile computing goodness" is frankly bullsh!t. You don't need to run the same OS to share content, you just need to conform to specific standards which are cross-platform. DLNA is a great example of this.

See, Thor, you missed a word there: cross-platform. People want to be able to share their content on whatever device running whatever OS instead of being locked in to an all-BlackBerry or all-Apple show. It's amazing how BlackBerry managed to take a lean and mean RTOS like QNX and turn it into a memory-hungry monster that even Android can laugh at.
    victorshikhman likes this.
    07-05-13 06:22 AM
    All this mobile future and no tablets is just wishful dreaming and marketing bla bla bla. Yes indeed, the DLNA implementation of BB10 looks very promising and cool! But they never let anything follow all their marketing buzz. Where is the dock for the Playbook that can do more than charging? I want to be able to dock my �bercool mobile device and have a mouse, keyboard, USB hub and large monitor...I want to be able to use my Playbook to play media from my NAS on my TV or stereo...yes all this would already be possible if this company would not been stuck in marketing bla bla...
    07-05-13 08:37 AM
    And I also do not get why QNX is a requirement for this? There are simply some standards that need to be properly implemented. They startet with DLNA (and it looks good)... Just now our Playbooks are useless and it would have been so easy to transfer this DLNA stack + some new media apps from BB10.
    07-05-13 08:39 AM
    Over reacting?
    Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe it would have reminded me I ran out of milk and needed both red onion and red cabbage. But do I want them suggesting which brands I want? Do I want to have to press a "button" to bypass the Ad to open my fridge like I now have to do on certain Youtube videos? And do I want hackers to know I have not opened my fridge in a week because my house is empty as I'm on vacation?

Frivolous concerns? Maybe? Maybe not.
    Cynycl and pcguy514 like this.
    07-05-13 08:47 AM
35 12