I was looking at the specs of the new Playbook and I was wondering, is anyone interested in NFC? New OS sure, those who aren't running the beta can't wait for the update. Faster processor, absolutely! Faster is better. 3G, those who want to be connected every will love it. I am just not sure what we would use NFC for. The biggest thing it is being used for right now is payments. I can't see tapping my Playbook to a reader in stores. We already have WiFi and Bluetooth (more useful in OS 2.0).
    01-26-12 10:30 AM
    I agree there may not be too many uses for it now, and I wouldn't buy it just for that. If I do get one, it would really be for the other reasons you cited, and the NFC would be something I would appreciate having as a bonus.
    01-26-12 10:49 AM
    i cant see useing nfc for payments with my playbook .. now my phone is a different story .
    01-26-12 10:50 AM
    Um, hello? Tap to transfer?

A friend has a pic/vid on his phone and you want to view it on your PB, and all he has to do is tap his phone to your tab?

APPLE doesn't have that...
    01-26-12 10:53 AM
    NFC is more than just a payment system. Watch this and imagine what you could do with a powerful portable pocketable tablet.......

I can think of a thousands of way NFC can be used for example imagine movie posters with NFC links to trailers. In store NFC recipe cards. NFC maps. Independent stores with store and website data on the window or ads/posters, tap and add to contacts. all viewable on a 7" HD screen.

I could go on but i will just say, yes i want NFC on my PB
    Last edited by musical1806; 01-26-12 at 03:00 PM.
    01-26-12 02:41 PM
    NFC is more than just a payment system. Watch this and imagine what you could do with a powerful portable pocketable tablet.......

Yes i want NFC on my PB
    All that tapping of phones together brings new meaning to the term phone sex lol
    Barljo likes this.
    01-26-12 02:48 PM
    So why is NFC file sharing now "hip" and Bluetooth file sharing is somewhat fading away, on mobile devices? I don't understand, esp. since I thought NFC had slower transfer speeds than Bluetooth.
    01-26-12 02:52 PM
    You don't need to do the actual transfer with NFC, and probably wouldn't. The NFC tap initiates a connection through another mechanism, like Bluetooth or WiFi.

While it's possible to transfer directly, I don't think you'd necessarily see it done that way all the time, especially for any large media.

Think of the "tap" as shaking hands and exchanging business cards... after you've done that, you don't need to keep holding hands!
    01-26-12 03:01 PM
    Oh, I see. Thanks for the info.
    01-26-12 03:05 PM
    I find it frustrating that it may have NFC. I personally dont see too many uses of it for a PB. I rather have it on my Torch sooner then my PB. But that will never happen because the torch was just a couple months too early.......go figure.
    01-26-12 04:04 PM
    I was looking at the specs of the new Playbook and I was wondering, is anyone interested in NFC? New OS sure, those who aren't running the beta can't wait for the update. Faster processor, absolutely! Faster is better. 3G, those who want to be connected every will love it. I am just not sure what we would use NFC for. The biggest thing it is being used for right now is payments. I can't see tapping my Playbook to a reader in stores. We already have WiFi and Bluetooth (more useful in OS 2.0).
    It would be nice to have, even if you don't use it! Brag rights!
    01-26-12 04:05 PM
    I was thinking it would be nice to just have to tap your blackberry to initiate bridge (w/password of course).

That would make the bridge even more functional and a breeze to use.
    01-26-12 04:29 PM
    NFC is more than payments. You can tap to bridge phones via bt, initiate file transfers, connect to routers when NFC becomes mainstream enough lol. Possibilities are growing as NFC catches on.
    01-26-12 04:29 PM
    This is what I'm talking 'bout!
    01-26-12 04:33 PM
    I'm just disapointed both my torch 9810 and my 32Gig PB will both not have it if it does become useful in a consumer friendly way
    01-26-12 04:43 PM
    I'm just disapointed both my torch 9810 and my 32Gig PB will both not have it if it does become useful in a consumer friendly way
    But we have Angry Birds?
    01-26-12 04:49 PM
    I didn't get it.. I bought it for my sisters though. How does that have anything to do with NFC?
    01-26-12 04:53 PM
    I didn't get it.. I bought it for my sisters though. How does that have anything to do with NFC?
    I'm joking you said that it wasn't any good for consumers, consumers like Angry Birds!
    01-26-12 04:57 PM
    Oh no lol
    I meant like if NFC becomes widely used like QR codes or something
    01-26-12 04:58 PM
    Oh no lol
    I meant like if NFC becomes widely used like QR codes or something
    Okay, now I understand!
    01-26-12 05:01 PM

I can think of a thousands of way NFC can be used for example imagine movie posters with NFC links to trailers. In store NFC recipe cards. NFC maps. Independent stores with store and website data on the window or ads/posters, tap and add to contacts. all viewable on a 7" HD screen.

I could go on but i will just say, yes i want NFC on my PB
    Interesting video and very helpful in understanding what the possibilities are with NFC. I think I would be very afraid of the security issues. I would be very paranoid if anyone brought their NFC device anywhere near my Playbook!
    01-26-12 05:48 PM
    Also, some have stated it may replace all those other keycards people carry around to enter buildings. Which would be great to eliminate one more piece card clipped to my pants. And all the rest of the options everyone has included. NFC might not be huge now but from all accounts, it's coming.
    01-26-12 06:01 PM
    Also, some have stated it may replace all those other keycards people carry around to enter buildings. Which would be great to eliminate one more piece card clipped to my pants. And all the rest of the options everyone has included. NFC might not be huge now but from all accounts, it's coming.
    Hopefully RIM will have recovered and I will be rocking a BB10 phone on my next contract by then.
    01-26-12 06:05 PM
    Definitely interested.
    01-26-12 07:20 PM
    So if I understand how NFC works...You store personal info or security access on your Phone or PB that if someone else has an NFC device they can tap your device and gain access to that info or steal the security settings. I see more downside than up when it comes to security risk. Talk about identity theft.
    01-26-12 10:05 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD