Been looking at Playbooks for a while, kicked myself when Currys/PC World put the price back up to �150 so started looking on eBay. Nearly pulled the trigger once or twice on Buy-it-nows for around �120. Browsing our local Facebook Marketplace site I spotted someone selling a 2 month old 64gig PB for �90! Left a message and seller got in contact. Turns out he lives about a 2 minute walk from me Bought it this morning, been playing with it all day! Taken me a while to get used to the way it operates but I think I'm getting a grip on the basics now, mainly due to this site

Anyway, I'm having problems with the PB staying connected to our wi-fi! When I first got it home and started setting it up it found and connected to wi-fi straight away with no problems but ever since then it keeps dropping connection after a while. No matter how many times I re-enter passwords etc it just wont re-connect. The only way I have found so far to re-connect is to switch the router off and back on again. The PB will re-connect again for a while and everything is dandy for a while(up to half an hour) and then it disconnects and wont re-connect until I switch the router off and on again! Any other device connected at the same time by wi-fi is unaffected(laptops, Ipods, 360s etc )

As you can imagine this isn't ideal and it really annoys our son when he's in the middle of COD and he loses his connection!

I've found a couple of threads where this has been mentioned but none of the answers given seem to help me in this instance. If someone could point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.
    01-06-13 05:00 PM
    9 times out of 10 it is going to be some sort of old wifi router firmware issue (draft n firmware), wifi/bluetooth interference, incorrect wifi router default settings and incorrect wifi router user settings.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rribly-760601/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-358-a-717404/

Update your router firmware, set it to either G only or N only, narrow channel, SSID broadcast, WPA2/AES, auto channel hopping.
    PatrickMJS and malgpz900 like this.
    01-06-13 06:02 PM
    Update your router firmware, set it to either G only or N only, narrow channel, SSID broadcast, WPA2/AES, auto channel hopping.
    Thanks for your reply.

Update firmware? Checked with router website and the only update I could see was from 2008! And the instructions were a bit intimidating to me. So looks like a call to ISP might be in order to see if they can supply me with a new router.

I tried to run through the rest of your instructions to see if they helped.

Set to G only or N only? Router only does B or G so tried to set it to G only. Son came down immediately and complained the Xbox had been disconnected.

Narrow channel? Can't see that option.

SSID broadcast? Yes.

WPA2/AES? Encrytion set to WPA2.

Auto channel hopping? Again, no option.

Seems to be a lot of hoops to jump through when everything else in the house stays connected all the time. I'm kinda wary to change too much on the router because I might have to change settings on all the other devices in the house as well.

Has anyone figured out why they seem to connect for a while and then lose connection? Seems to me, an untrained amateur right enough, that the 'fault' lies in the PB not the router as everything else is OK.
    01-07-13 05:17 PM
    Could be neighbor related. Several nearby systems on or near the same channel. It sounds like your router is well over 5 years old, maybe it's time to consider a new one. You can always get a second one (access point) and leave the original one there, up and working, so you don't have to change all the other device settings.
    01-07-13 06:08 PM
    Set to G only or N only? Router only does B or G so tried to set it to G only. Son came down immediately and complained the Xbox had been disconnected.
    The original XBox doesn't have wifi and the XBox 360 S (launched in 2010) has 802.11b/g/n.

List of Xbox 360 retail configurations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So either your son has an older non-wifi xbox that he jerryrigged to get wifi --- which means it's your son's jerryrigging that is causing the problem. Or your son has a newer wifi enabled (802.11g) xbox --- which means that it's partly your problem with your wifi router set-up and partly your son's problem for him not to get 802.11g connection to his xbox.

99% of the time --- it's going to take your son to figure out what he did to your house's wifi.

PS: updating router firmware is not that hard --- just make sure you have the specific firmware (same wifi router model can have different hardware revisions which have their own specific firmware) and read the instructions carefully.
    01-08-13 03:26 PM
    Xbox is one of the non-wifi older models but with one of THESE plugged into the back. It says in the info sheet it is 'compatible with 802.11a, b, g and n wireless networks'

Anyway I've asked my ISP if they will supply me with a new router as the one I am using isn't even one of theirs as their one didn't have wireless. So hopefully I'll get a shiny new router and my problems will be over

Still confuses me why the PB will connect no problem and then just lose connection. Either delete wi-fi setting in PB or switch of router and back on again and the PB re-connects straight away!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-08-13 04:41 PM
    My PB has been "losing" the wifi randomly the past few weeks. But if I reboot, it stays connected. Have you tried to reboot?
    01-08-13 04:46 PM
    I've also looked into a lot of these reported wifi issues and agree with the remarks posted above by samab.

A lot of older home wifi routers were using these "draft" protocols before standards were fully formed. Seems the PB works good with most newer routers but can have issues with older routers, especially when they may have been tweaked or overloaded.

Sounds like your issue with be resolved when the isp sends over a new router.
    01-08-13 04:51 PM
    Xbox is one of the non-wifi older models but with one of THESE plugged into the back. It says in the info sheet it is 'compatible with 802.11a, b, g and n wireless networks'

Anyway I've asked my ISP if they will supply me with a new router as the one I am using isn't even one of theirs as their one didn't have wireless. So hopefully I'll get a shiny new router and my problems will be over

Still confuses me why the PB will connect no problem and then just lose connection. Either delete wi-fi setting in PB or switch of router and back on again and the PB re-connects straight away!
    Then there is a problem with your set-up --- because your wifi router can do G only, your xbox can do G only --- so there is no reason why when you switch to G only on the router, your son would have problems with it.
    01-08-13 05:40 PM
    Well, new router arrived today. Got it set up in no time.

Got computer, laptops, ipod touches and xbox connected in no time. Tried the PB but to tell you the truth it isn't much better...

....its a LOT better Been browsing on and off all night and even watched an episode of the David Attenborough Africa series on it as well.

Typing this on it and it hasn't missed a beat.

Happy bunny. Many thanks.
    01-14-13 04:14 PM
    Well, new router arrived today. Got it set up in no time.

Got computer, laptops, ipod touches and xbox connected in no time. Tried the PB but to tell you the truth it isn't much better...

....its a LOT better Been browsing on and off all night and even watched an episode of the David Attenborough Africa series on it as well.

Typing this on it and it hasn't missed a beat.

Happy bunny. Many thanks.
    Hopefully, it will continue. While advertisements may not always be appropriate, you might want to mention which one did NOT work well and what is working well for you now in a multi-computer setup.
    01-14-13 05:29 PM
    Certainly. The old router is/was a Zoom X6 ADSL Series 1058.

The new one is supplied by our ISP Talktalk and it's a Huawei HG523a.

And as an added bonus one of the kids remembered last night that the Wii hasn't been able to connect to the internet for quite a while so I fired it up and re-scanned for wi-fi and now it's internet enabled again as well. Also the new router seems quicker. Before we were getting a speed of about 10mbps while now we are getting about 11, so thumbs up all round.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-15-13 11:32 AM