Hello I am have been lurking on this forum for a while and have never had a RIM product but have my eye on the Playbook. I am not really computer savy so excuse me if the ?'s seem kinda silly.

1. I do a lot of presentations for my company which I want to download on to a tablet device. When I downloaded the presentations on my computer it asked if its a mac or win before it would download. Will this be downloadable on the Playbook?

2. I know you can get hdmi cord but are there any other options to hook up to tv such as composite ect?

3. I have 2 macs and a win computer but most time on my mac's will PB cooperate with the macs or only the win computer?

4. Can Dvd's be copied on to the PB?

5. How stable is the os, for example was looking at Xoom but keep hearing stories about crashes ex?

6. Last but not least how happy are you guys with Blackberry support for their product updates, accessories and longevity until new version comes out?
    04-11-11 08:44 PM
    copy dvd's by ripping with dvdecrypter and encoding with Handbrake. awesome 1-2 punch!
    04-11-11 08:59 PM
    I don't see why digital copies of movies could NOT be put on the Playbook. Seems almost too easy; I certainly hope this is a feature to look forward to.

In terms of BlackBerry support, I have loved my device from day 1. There always seems to be enough in the software to hold me until another software update. Always very competitive too I find and super functional.
    04-11-11 09:03 PM
    I don't see why digital copies of movies could NOT be put on the Playbook. Seems almost too easy; I certainly hope this is a feature to look forward to.

pay attention to my post above yours.
    04-11-11 09:04 PM
    Hello I am have been lurking on this forum for a while and have never had a RIM product but have my eye on the Playbook. I am not really computer savy so excuse me if the ?'s seem kinda silly.

1. I do a lot of presentations for my company which I want to download on to a tablet device. When I downloaded the presentations on my computer it asked if its a mac or win before it would download. Will this be downloadable on the Playbook?

2. I know you can get hdmi cord but are there any other options to hook up to tv such as composite ect?

3. I have 2 macs and a win computer but most time on my mac's will PB cooperate with the macs or only the win computer?

4. Can Dvd's be copied on to the PB?

5. How stable is the os, for example was looking at Xoom but keep hearing stories about crashes ex?

6. Last but not least how happy are you guys with Blackberry support for their product updates, accessories and longevity until new version comes out?
    1. As long as the presentation is in a format the Playbook can read (i.e. Powerpoint)

2. No

3. As long as you have the Desktop Manager you'll be fine. As far as utilizing it as flash memory, you'll be fine either way.

4. As long as you rip the DVD into a format/container the Playbook can read.

5. From what's been tested, it seems as though this QNX OS is quite stable, especially for it being so new.

6. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty satisfied with the way RIM pushes out updates. The build quality of the hardware is top notch, as well as most of the accessories. From what I've seen I can easily see this standing up to some serious long term use!
    04-11-11 09:08 PM
    copy dvd's by ripping with dvdecrypter and encoding with Handbrake. awesome 1-2 punch!
    that seems too complex
    04-11-11 09:11 PM
    4. Yes but it is a process. If there is an easier process I would love to know. I have done this with DVD's that I own but the lately it hasn't worked.

My Storm wont play a file but my Wife's Bold will. She is using an official OS whereas I am using a leaked OS so that could be it. I did 3 movies today 1 played on her phone and zero played on mine.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/dv...ctures-107961/
    04-11-11 09:12 PM
    that seems too complex
    Its not really. How else do you think it can get done? I would love to know.

Not a knock just want to see all the options.
    04-11-11 09:14 PM
    that seems too complex
    what do you want to do? slide DVD's under the screen??? LOL!
    04-11-11 09:24 PM
    what do you want to do? slide DVD's under the screen??? LOL!
    Only if it's Blue Ray. There is 1/2" to spare. Could squeeze it in.
    04-11-11 09:37 PM
    I know you can get hdmi cord but are there any other options to hook up to tv such as composite ect?
    The only other native format is if the tv has DVI (HDMI is based on DVI).
    otherwise you need a converter box, which could range from $100 to $500
    04-12-11 12:06 AM
    2. No
    Why not if you buy a microHDMI out to VGA/RCA/Composite IN the possibilities are endless!

Loss in quality of course, but it gets the job done!
    04-12-11 12:55 AM
    pspvideo9 works great for videos on blackberries, including storm. You just have to make sure you set the program up right.
    04-12-11 12:59 AM
    I use Aimersoft conversion software and have never had a problem. Does videos, mp3s, and audiobooks from Windows or Mac. Their customer support is top-notch.
    04-12-11 01:32 AM

Yes PowerPoint Presentations are allowed on the PB.

2. I know you can get hdmi cord but are there any other options to hook up to tv such as composite ect? Yes I'm pretty sure there are Micro-HDMI to Composite.

3. I have 2 macs and a win computer but most time on my mac's will PB cooperate with the macs or only the win computer?If you have PowerPoint for your Mac.

4. Can Dvd's be copied on to the PB?Yes but you need a software called a DVD Ripper.

5. How stable is the os, for example was looking at Xoom but keep hearing stories about crashes ex?For all I've heard EXTREMELY STABLE!
    6. Last but not least how happy are you guys with Blackberry support for their product updates, accessories and longevity until new version comes out?I find it reliable.
    Answers on top.
    04-12-11 06:12 AM
    Yes! Do you suppose the PB will be able to read Handbrake mp4 files?
    04-12-11 08:30 AM
    Yes! Do you suppose the PB will be able to read Handbrake mp4 files?
    If it can't, it would become a laughing-stock of the tech world.
    04-12-11 10:29 AM
    I use Aimersoft conversion software and have never had a problem. Does videos, mp3s, and audiobooks from Windows or Mac. Their customer support is top-notch.
    Which one exactly. I am going to try a trial of DVD Ripper. Is that correct?

It even has the Playbook as an output format option. Sweet.
    04-12-11 01:20 PM
    If it can't, it would become a laughing-stock of the tech world.
    Well... I just fired up Handbrake and made a short test *.mv4 file. My Torch plays the audio but i get an error message claiming the video is a non supported format. I hope this is not a bad portend for the PB!
    04-12-11 01:54 PM

Really? Cool! Do let us know how this works in reality.
    04-12-11 01:54 PM

I've used both Aimersoft DVD Ripper and Video Converter, as well as Media Converter to remove DRM. All converted files worked on my Storm. I purchased the entire suite of tools several years ago. I'm very happy with them. They answer email questions really fast.
    04-12-11 02:36 PM
    So if a DVD cannot be (easily/lazy-ily) ripped, where can you buy movies that would be in an appropriate format for Playbook? Would an iTunes movie work?

Thanks
    04-12-11 02:56 PM
    Really? Cool! Do let us know how this works in reality.
    I use Danuisoft DVD Ripper and it has a Playbook specially made format made in the software. Heres the link Best DVD Ripper, DVD Ripping Software to Rip DVD to AVI/MPEG/iTunes
    04-12-11 03:10 PM
    Well... I just fired up Handbrake and made a short test *.mv4 file. My Torch plays the audio but i get an error message claiming the video is a non supported format. I hope this is not a bad portend for the PB!
    What resolution did you use? My old Storm didn't like to downscale and I don't expect the Marvell chips to be any less finicky.
    04-12-11 03:30 PM
    OP: h.264 will work (Handbrake does that, of course)

from RIM: "1080p HD video; H.264, MPEG4, WMV HDMI video output
    Micro USB and Micro HDMI ports"
    04-12-11 06:37 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD