Why is it so hard to figure out where to post a help question and where to post tips and tricks!!?!?!?!? Seriously This thread is for people to post tips and tricks for using the PlayBook and you post this question! Please start your own thread and people can help you there don't hijack another persons thread and fill it with questions that have nothing to do with the topic!

That's like going into cit hall and complaining about your furnace, they cannot help you because you didn't bother to even try to figure out the the right place to ask for help. I am soory I am being an a$$ but seriously comeone people this is just simple!
    Wow man,

People come to these sites for help. Making someone feel bad for asking something is not cool. You could have easily said the same thing without all the hostility. It is people like you that makes people like me go to another site for help.
    Cracklen likes this.
    02-24-12 04:34 PM
    I have been noticing that the memory lost is now more noticeable in OS2.0.

Of course, the simple solution is to reboot your device fresh so that you will gain about 580-590MB at the fresh start again. But here is how you do it without the need to wait on starting process.

I have tried this on two different PBs and twice on each. The result has been consistent! I tried this trick when memory is down to about 300MB or just slightly under.

1. Lauch the native browser follow by additional 4 apps (your choice). I main objective is to force your device to use up memory as much as it can handle.
    2. Check where you are on the memory. I usually see it is down to slightly below 100MB.
    3. Launch another app. Now the total would be 6.
    4. Now go back to check the level of the memory. It should go up!!!!
    5. Now close all the apps you open, and check the memory. It should go back up to be above 500MB. I always get it back up to around 510MB.

I had left PBs overnight during this small experiment and memory remains constant at where I left off before bedtime. Of course it will drop again as you use your device.

I should mention that this won't work if your lost memory is not down to that low.

Cheers

Edited 3.6.12: It seems that this trick only works no more than twice! Should I find new solution to this, I will keep you all informed.
    Last edited by doxa sub750T; 03-06-12 at 05:26 PM.
    02-29-12 09:48 AM
    2. Check where you are on the memory. I usually see it is down to slightly below 100MB.
    Cheers
    Great idea. How do you 'check where you are in the memory'?
    Thanks.
    02-29-12 09:55 AM
    Great idea. How do you 'check where you are in the memory'?
    Thanks.
    1. Tap on the gear icon on the top right.
    2. Go to About on the left, on the right section you have options: General, Hardware, OS, etc. Choose Hardware.
    3. Then you should see device PIN, storage information as well as Free memory.
    D_Whatley and bruteforce037 like this.
    02-29-12 11:54 AM
    PLAYBOOK IS THE BEST TABLETTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!::
    03-03-12 09:57 AM
    hi there, i also am new here and wanna thank you for all this helpful info. karla
    03-09-12 08:08 AM
    Just for grins I'm trying to send a PIN message from my 9780 to my PB and it is not being delivered - just hanging there.

Anyone else try this yet ?
    03-09-12 10:16 AM
    Hi, im going to open and start using my pb in a couple of minutes. i've had it for almost 3 weeks now but didnt really open it because i wanted to read on some newbie tips. i just want to know, does it matter what country you choose to get the latest software updates? im from the philippines but my pb was purchased in the us. im worried im not going to get future os updates if i choose philippines. should i choose where im located or where the device was purchased?
    03-10-12 11:49 PM
    So now I have 2 email readers. How do I turn off the old one?

Thanks!!!!!

edit: oh, never mind. I see now that when I delete messages in my blackberry phone, they are deleted on my old email program on my playbook. That's cool. I don't have to delete messages in 3 places, only 2.
    Last edited by gawain33; 03-12-12 at 08:23 AM.
    03-12-12 08:14 AM
    Hey, I've found a way to easily take notes in my classes with my playbook. Here's a video of my method.

Paperless Note Taking with Playbook (prototype 3)

I've been using this method for two semesters now as a Mechanical Engineering student. It's worked wonderfully so far, and it's really nice to have all my notes in my playbook everywhere I go. Let me know what you think / what you would change / if you think I'm nuts......yada yada. Any and all feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
    spsuninja
    03-13-12 09:39 PM
    Music Player: Now Playing - to get to 'now playing while browsing your library; you can tap on the tiny thumbnail of the track on left side of the progress bar. This will take you to the album of the currently playing track.

If your are running a playlist; even though you are in the album view of now playing track - hitting next will take you to the next playlist track and not next track in album. The playlist tracks can be seen by raising the bottom bar..
    03-19-12 04:40 PM
    wouldn't it be a lot easier / less hassle to just use a cheap notebook / laptop?????
    03-20-12 02:07 PM
    wouldn't it be a lot easier / less hassle to just use a cheap notebook / laptop?????
    Sure. But not half as much fun!
    03-20-12 02:10 PM
    PLAYBOOK IS THE BEST TABLETTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!::
    As I this is my first owned tablet I have to agree. I checked my free memory (just over 300mb) and it is almost the the same amount to as the total memory in my android smartphone (Samsung Galaxy s fascinate 3G+)!
    03-20-12 06:22 PM
    how will you know how much memory is left in playbook
    03-21-12 07:54 PM
    Homescreen swipe down or the little gear icon on top right.
    Then - About/View information about your tablet - Hardware.
    03-21-12 09:11 PM
    (I'd written this before 2.0 was out but wanted to wait until after to see if things were the same. They are.)

This post attempts to be a comprehensive summary of activity related to the Power button, correcting some misinformation or updating advice made obsolete by changes in more recent versions of the OS. It's based on careful and direct measurement (plus some input from developers at RIM).

Powering On

Sometimes you'll hear that you should press the power button "for two seconds" or some extended period to turn it on. This should not be necessary, though sometimes it may feel that way. A single brief press (down and up) should be sufficient, but it will then take about two seconds before you'll see the red LED which is your first indication that it's turning itself on.

If you have an early PlayBook with the "flush" power button, you may feel it's not working that way and you have to press and hold the button for a while. That's fine... whatever works for you.

Powering Off

Along with the usual ways of turning off the PlayBook, there's a special button press which will force it off even if it's entirely locked up. Pressing the Power button briefly when the PlayBook is on will normally just put it into Standby (or take it out of Standby if it's already there).

Pressing the Power button down and holding it for about 1.5s will bring up a dialog showing you options to Turn off, Standby, or Restart (the same ones you can more easily get to by tapping on the battery icon in the status bar).

Pressing the Power button down and holding it for about 4s (ignoring the dialog) will initiate a controlled shutdown sequence, exactly the same as if you tapped on the Turn off button in the dialog that would have appeared by that time.

Lastly, pressing the Power button down and holding it down for 10s will instantly remove power just as if you were able to "pull the battery" as many have learned to do on BlackBerry phones. Normally you wouldn't need to do this, but in the rare case where your PlayBook has completed locked up, or if you've tried to turn it off through other means and it hasn't properly shut down, the "10s power button press" is the way out.

Resetting

If the PlayBook is locked up for any reason, and rather than shutting it right down you just want to reset it, you can do the special 3-button reset sequence. Similar to the 10s power button press, but either easier or harder depending on individual dexterity, you press down the Power button and hold it down while then pressing down the Volume Up and Down buttons simultaneously. Hold all three for 4s and the device should instantly reset, beginning back at the start of the power-on sequence with the red LED.

Note that unlike the controlled shutdown started by pressing Power for four seconds, this one skips the shutdown sequence entirely and basically acts just like you'd shut the PlayBook off and then turned it back on again, but without ever removing power. (This is no different than the "reset" button that many PCs have.)
    03-22-12 09:42 PM
    (I'd written this before 2.0 was out but wanted to wait until after to see if things were the same. They are.)

This post attempts to be a comprehensive summary of activity related to the Power button, correcting some misinformation or updating advice made obsolete by changes in more recent versions of the OS. It's based on careful and direct measurement (plus some input from developers at RIM).

Powering On

Sometimes you'll hear that you should press the power button "for two seconds" or some extended period to turn it on. This should not be necessary, though sometimes it may feel that way. A single brief press (down and up) should be sufficient, but it will then take about two seconds before you'll see the red LED which is your first indication that it's turning itself on.

If you have an early PlayBook with the "flush" power button, you may feel it's not working that way and you have to press and hold the button for a while. That's fine... whatever works for you.

Powering Off

Along with the usual ways of turning off the PlayBook, there's a special button press which will force it off even if it's entirely locked up. Pressing the Power button briefly when the PlayBook is on will normally just put it into Standby (or take it out of Standby if it's already there).

Pressing the Power button down and holding it for about 1.5s will bring up a dialog showing you options to Turn off, Standby, or Restart (the same ones you can more easily get to by tapping on the battery icon in the status bar).

Pressing the Power button down and holding it for about 4s (ignoring the dialog) will initiate a controlled shutdown sequence, exactly the same as if you tapped on the Turn off button in the dialog that would have appeared by that time.

Lastly, pressing the Power button down and holding it down for 10s will instantly remove power just as if you were able to "pull the battery" as many have learned to do on BlackBerry phones. Normally you wouldn't need to do this, but in the rare case where your PlayBook has completed locked up, or if you've tried to turn it off through other means and it hasn't properly shut down, the "10s power button press" is the way out.

Resetting

If the PlayBook is locked up for any reason, and rather than shutting it right down you just want to reset it, you can do the special 3-button reset sequence. Similar to the 10s power button press, but either easier or harder depending on individual dexterity, you press down the Power button and hold it down while then pressing down the Volume Up and Down buttons simultaneously. Hold all three for 4s and the device should instantly reset, beginning back at the start of the power-on sequence with the red LED.

Note that unlike the controlled shutdown started by pressing Power for four seconds, this one skips the shutdown sequence entirely and basically acts just like you'd shut the PlayBook off and then turned it back on again, but without ever removing power. (This is no different than the "reset" button that many PCs have.)
    That was quite educational, thanks.
    03-23-12 12:36 AM
    Great idea.
    Thanks.
    TNNurse likes this.
    03-28-12 12:45 PM
    I have a question while using bridge and 9900 as a remote. Is there a way to scroll down a page without touching the PB screen when I am using the 9900 as a trackpad or keyboard ?

I am able to do pretty much everything with both devices but can't seem to get that to work
    Last edited by berry_addict; 04-09-12 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Correction of a typo.
    04-09-12 10:58 PM
    I have a question while using bridge and 9900 as a remote. Is there a way to scroll down a page without touching the PB screen when I am using the 9900 as a trackpad or keyboard ?

I am able to do pretty much everything with both devices but can't seem to get that to work
    Hold down alt & scroll away.
    04-10-12 02:51 AM
    Awesome! Any tips I or discover, I'll definitely post 'em here!
    04-14-12 03:29 PM
    04-14-12 03:43 PM
    i dont know if this has been posted already but ill go ahead and post it all the same. while playing a video, you can pinch to zoom in and out (thats general knowledge) what i just found out though is that during the pinch action, placing a third finger on the screen after zooming out but before removing your other fingers will make the screen size remain that way. i.e you can play your videos zoomed out.Try it
    encage and progressivebiz like this.
    04-15-12 05:56 PM
    Reading another thread I discovered (along with many others) that the calculator has several modes, including a nice converter. Swipe down from tbe top to expose the real power of this excellent app.
    Thank you for this. I thought it was just an ordinary calculator.
    04-17-12 01:43 PM
365 ... 910111213 ...