something i do often because I'm such a good conversationalist.

I finally look at the demo, and, yes, the zoom is digital - too bad - and one can change the video settings: 480p, 720p, 1980p, though the latter is usually overkill unless one's going to edit down.

My other questions remain: screen protector and URL shortener. Help would be appreciated, since there are so many choices on the protective screens. I an less concerned about fingerprints and smudges than transparency.
    01-24-12 03:34 PM
    Hi all,

Purchased a pb due to good reviews I read.
    Just came, and b/f I can use it, its telling me I have to install 1.0.8.6067 ( I could be wrong with the last 4 digits).
    Each time I do it, when it finishes it tells me 'Unable to Install', version 1.0.7.2670.

Any ideas? Kinda sucks to start off this way. (FYI, I am overseas trying to do this.)
    01-24-12 04:54 PM
    Just got the 64GB Playbook because I couldn't resist the price even though I already have a Galaxy Tab. I have a few questions and would appreciate help.

1) What's the best transparent protective screen for the Playbook? (I live in Canada.)

2) Is there a URL shortener? Right now, unless there's a twitter, email, or facebook button on a website, there's no way to send a link of a web page. I tweet a lot.

3) The camera's shooting in 1280x720 resolution, whereas, according to the marketing hype, it's supposed to be 1080p. Is there a way to adjust the video? I've found nothing. Not that the 1280x720 isn't great. In fact, the best thing about the Playbook is the camera and screen resolution.

4) Is the zoom on the camera optical or digital?

5) Why is the manual so uninformative and lacking in detailed explanations?

6) Why are the Playbook's accessories so expensive given their truly shoddy quality? I've opted for a third-party case. What's the mark up? 5000%?
    Welcome to CB!

There are many, many threads here that might help you.
    1. There are varying opinions on this topic, including none.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tor-pb-594662/

Screen protectors � BerryReview Forums

2. I don't know, because if I do any of that, I do it on my PC. There's an app called social feeds for the handheld, but I'm pretty sure it's not available for the PB. Some other, more informed users might chime in.

3. Seems like you answered this one already.

4. No zoom on the PB camera.

5. Is that rhetorical? Because we didn't write the manuals, so we don't know. But, if you ask nicely, you can get plenty of help here.

6. More rheteoric? They cost what they cost. PB is new and like any new item (do you remember how much VCR's used to cost?) it's more expensive at the beginning. In time, the cost comes down, in most cases.

It is customary to search the forums for answers. You can find lots of helpful info from many, many experienced users on all sorts of questions.

Should you not be able to find your answer, it is then suggested you start your own post so you can get the most bang for your buck.

I'm glad you are reading the tips and tricks and I hope you will enjoy your new toy. It is an awesome device.
    Cineste likes this.
    01-24-12 06:42 PM
    Man............... hijacked.
    01-24-12 06:49 PM
    exactly....
    01-24-12 07:03 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, I was being provocative in my remarks about the manual and pricing. At little criticism or consumer feedback can be useful. And it would seem there's plenty of help here, but a good manual would still be useful, though the interactive videos substitute somewhat for that lack. They're quite good.

Maybe 2.O will have a built in option for shortening URLs, as other tablet OS systems do. The integrated social matrix looks quite intriguing.

Actually the PB does have a zoom, but it's digital, not optical - which means one looses resolution when it's in use.
    01-24-12 08:07 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, I was being provocative in my remarks about the manual and pricing. At little criticism or consumer feedback can be useful. And it would seem there's plenty of help here, but a good manual would still be useful, though the interactive videos substitute somewhat for that lack. They're quite good.

Maybe 2.O will have a built in option for shortening URLs, as other tablet OS systems do. The integrated social matrix looks quite intriguing.

Actually the PB does have a zoom, but it's digital, not optical - which means one looses resolution when it's in use.
    You are most welcome. I really hope you enjoy your new toy.
    01-24-12 11:15 PM
    Under Browser Options -> General, there's a Search Engine option where you can choose Google, among others.

Then, in the browser's URL (web address) input box, if you type something other than a URL, it automatically invokes the chosen search engine with that search term.
    01-24-12 11:23 PM
    this is my first post, i recently bought a playbook and i want to thank all off you for all the great tips. I had a blacberry curve 8330 for three years but the bridge fonction couodnt work so i resign a contract and now I love my Bold 9790...

I have a question , is it possible on the playbook to customize the rabs on the home screen and create folders like on the smartphone?

thx
    01-26-12 10:26 AM
    this is my first post, i recently bought a playbook and i want to thank all off you for all the great tips. I had a blacberry curve 8330 for three years but the bridge fonction couodnt work so i resign a contract and now I love my Bold 9790...

I have a question , is it possible on the playbook to customize the rabs on the home screen and create folders like on the smartphone?

thx
    In a couple weeks/month, yes. Right now, no.
    C3dr4c likes this.
    01-26-12 11:05 AM
    is it possible on the playbook to ... create folders like on the smartphone?
    You can make folders on the PB.

Touch and hold any icon till it blinks
    While being careful not to touch the trash can as it will delete the app, move the icon to like icon (for example, move one game on top of another game)
    A popup will display for you, asking you to name the folder. Type "games" (or whatever you want to call it) and hit ok.
    Your two icons are now in a folder called "games".
    While the icons are still blinking (if they aren't, repeat step one), move as many games into that folder as you would like.

**A single tap anywhere that is not on a icon will stop the "moving" process and terminate the blinking cycle.**

Within the folder, you can arrange the games in any order you would like.

You can continue creating as many folders as you would like.

When finished, you can move the folders around to arrange them in any order you would like.

If, at some point, you mistakenly put an icon in the "wrong" folder, you can open the folder, and while the icons are blinking, move the icon to the top row, then open the new folder and drag the icon to the "correct" folder.

If your top row has 6 icons on it, you will not be able to add any more icons to the top row. in that event, open the folder which has the "wrong" icon in it, make sure they are blinking, move one item (or as many as you need) down into the folder so you can have room to move the icon up and out of the "wrong" folder. Just remember which folder you put them in, so after the move to the correct folder, you can go back and move whatever it was back up.

It's not as hard as that sounds, and I hope that's clear and helps you.
    01-26-12 12:34 PM
    You can make folders on the PB.

Touch and hold any icon till it blinks
    While being careful not to touch the trash can as it will delete the app, move the icon to like icon (for example, move one game on top of another game)
    A popup will display for you, asking you to name the folder. Type "games" (or whatever you want to call it) and hit ok.
    Your two icons are now in a folder called "games".
    While the icons are still blinking (if they aren't, repeat step one), move as many games into that folder as you would like.

**A single tap anywhere that is not on a icon will stop the "moving" process and terminate the blinking cycle.**

Within the folder, you can arrange the games in any order you would like.

You can continue creating as many folders as you would like.

When finished, you can move the folders around to arrange them in any order you would like.

If, at some point, you mistakenly put an icon in the "wrong" folder, you can open the folder, and while the icons are blinking, move the icon to the top row, then open the new folder and drag the icon to the "correct" folder.

If your top row has 6 icons on it, you will not be able to add any more icons to the top row. in that event, open the folder which has the "wrong" icon in it, make sure they are blinking, move one item (or as many as you need) down into the folder so you can have room to move the icon up and out of the "wrong" folder. Just remember which folder you put them in, so after the move to the correct folder, you can go back and move whatever it was back up.

It's not as hard as that sounds, and I hope that's clear and helps you.
    IF you are using the beta OS or when 2.0 is out.
    01-26-12 01:25 PM
    IF you are using the beta OS or when 2.0 is out.
    Good catch, thanks.
    01-26-12 01:46 PM
    isnt the beta only for developpers?
    01-26-12 02:06 PM
    isnt the beta only for developpers?
    Yes and no.

Yes ~ it for developers
    NO ~ not "only"

You can install it, you can use it.
    Just remember it's BETA and can be a bit buggy.
    01-26-12 03:52 PM
    also, something to consider when sideloading apps.

do it ONE at a time, bc if you do more and there is a problem you wont know which one is the problem. I added 12 at one time and had to learn the hard way
    01-26-12 10:45 PM
    Can someone please give me some simple instructions on how to customize my icons? I would like to change a few of them after seeing the cool ones on the CUSTOM PAGE Thread... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

CDC
    01-30-12 01:42 PM
    For some reason I had difficulty finding out how to get a copy of the Repligo reader BAR file even after searching this forum. Eventually found it on the playbookbars.com list; I'd recommend linking to this in your tips thread. I'm sure there's a lot of people that would like to have a fully functional PDF reader on their PB. They'll need OS 2.0 and DDPB, but there's plenty of instruction on that around the forum.
    01-30-12 09:01 PM
    Can someone please give me some simple instructions on how to customize my icons? I would like to change a few of them after seeing the cool ones on the CUSTOM PAGE Thread... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

CDC

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d3JTYE_Fwo&context=C3b29841ADOEgsToPDskJ0 kinj0LCPjBIRNY2lnEmX[/YT]
    01-30-12 09:55 PM
    17th Feb.... This wait is too long....
    Please someone answer my doubt....
    doubt that i have is, how is our exchange emails (office mails) going to work on playbook OS 2.0..
    I have been watching videos of CES and also seen video on crackberry where its been explained the way active-sync is going to work, i have not understood (still confused) on how will i create my corporate email account on my playbook, how is my office server going to communicate with my playbook over WiFi.....

please help me guys...

Playbook - 32Gb
    02-04-12 07:19 AM
    It may not be obvious that you will need to have some form of wifi if you don't have a blackberry phone. If you're not at starbucks or a hotel, you need a wireless access point at home, or wireless router. Beyond the scope here to help you with that.

If you have a Blackberry phone - the playbook can use it's 3G transmitter by pairing it via bluetooth, via the blackberry Bridge apps installed on both devices..lots of info in the forums. the most awesome feature in my opinion, because you no longer have to find hot spots, you can browse the web anywhere you can make a phone call -

If you are with AT&T you will have to do some workarounds to make the phone bridge work - because they block it in app world (isnt that nice - no other carrier does this)

There is a special link on here for downloading the file that AT&T has blocked from rroyy:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-7-4-a-621230/

Found this out calling twice to AT&T. Every retailer syas..."you can access 3G using the phone saving you another data package"...WRONG....especially for AT&T....Use the rroyy website and down load...no need to go to the tethering menu in your setings....once I loaded the new bridge...instant 3G!! iphone....ipad......idone!!!! BLACKBERRY BABY!
    DocDRM likes this.
    02-04-12 12:05 PM
    File Transfers: You can use Microsoft Sky Drive to transfer files to and from your PB. https://skydrive.live.com 25GB worth!!

Update: My mistake. It doesn't seem to support upload, download only. Looks like someone is working on that however on Android.
    Last edited by FreeJACLive; 02-05-12 at 06:43 PM.
    02-04-12 10:01 PM
    So.....

When will it be time to wrap this thread up with a bow and un-sticky it? What with OS2 becoming official in days, most of the tips here will no longer be appropriate/available/functioning/necessary/etc.

Maybe for those of you already on the 2.0 beta, you can start a 2.0 for Newbies thread with all the stuff we noobs need to know to enjoy the new os version.

Just a thought.
    lang007 and dimm0k like this.
    02-08-12 08:25 AM
    Hello, i have had my PB just under a week and i do not use it with a BB.

1. I have been using "sheet to go" but can't work out how i can stretch the columns to fit my writing?

2. when i write a "word" document i can't seem to see anywhere that has the option to email it if not does this make these "apps" slightly pointless (except as shopping lists)

3. i think i have answered my own question but i'll ask anyway, i can't make folders on my home screen is this because i don't have os2?

right thats it for now and thank you for your help.
    02-09-12 09:00 AM
    Hello, i have had my PB just under a week and i do not use it with a BB.

1. I have been using "sheet to go" but can't work out how i can stretch the columns to fit my writing?

2. when i write a "word" document i can't seem to see anywhere that has the option to email it if not does this make these "apps" slightly pointless (except as shopping lists)

3. i think i have answered my own question but i'll ask anyway, i can't make folders on my home screen is this because i don't have os2?

right thats it for now and thank you for your help.
    1. Don't know, I don't use it.

2. Not until 2.0 comes out. Has no one ever started an email and attached a file to it?

3. Correct.
    02-09-12 09:34 AM
365 ... 7891011 ...