Sorry for the confusion. I noticed the problem on my Playbook but it was in the Bridged email app that it happened. And yes, every time I typed "else" into the Bridge email app on my Playbook, the word would get underlined in red and would magically (read irritatingly) change to read "eles". This would happen both on the Playbook and, while I was searching for a solution, in the email app of my Torch 9800.

So since the Playbook has no spell check or word replace, this must have been originating with my phone ... since the mail on the Playbook isn't really resident on thevPlaybook.

That's when I went hunting for the answers in the options on my phone. Bear in mind that I got my Torch in June as a 60th birthday present. Prior to that I had a cell phone that was useless for anything besides ... um ... phone calls. As a result, I hadn't done a great deal of playing with my Torch and don't recall setting up spell check at all! Somehow in the "word replace" section the input language was Portugues ... once I changed it to English, the problem both on the phone and the Playbook vanished!

Oh and I am a woman ... just for future reference.
    i am amazed i have a 9700 running OS 5 and while my phone auto corrects my bridged PB only underscores in red i am running OS 1 on the PB how can i make that work?

Thanks.
    01-07-12 09:23 PM
    Hi BlazerBoy,

I don't think it does work (although I could be wrong). I figured that it was an anomaly because I stupidly had a different language as my input language. I hadn'noticed it with other words ... just "else".

Now again I am more familiar with my PB than my phone so you might go to you phone's options and investigate the "word replace" function. I'll look to but I'm not sure that either of us will be successful.

Good luck!
    01-07-12 10:44 PM
    Hey Blackjack. Ended up buying the phone remote, but cant get the playbook to recognize the phone. What am I doing wrong or is there a step I am missing? Thanks in advance.
    01-08-12 12:14 AM
    Hey Blackjack. Ended up buying the phone remote, but cant get the playbook to recognize the phone. What am I doing wrong or is there a step I am missing? Thanks in advance.
    Check out this thread...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-625579/
    Harley Kid likes this.
    01-08-12 12:21 AM
    One thing about connecting to the playbook over wifi (which is great!). You can probably just use the name of the playbook.

Under Storage & Sharing, there is a "Tablet Network Name". So connect like:

\\name

Obviously name will be the name on that screen. You can do this because the router that is providing your IP address is also probably providing a DNS service.

Personally, I find that a little easier than hunting for an IP address, although maybe this is only in 2.0, I didn't look before I did the upgrade.
    Harley Kid likes this.
    01-08-12 05:08 PM
    Thanks for the link ... was trying to load the access code into the area thst was requesting my WCP access code. works like a charm when I use the right number. Thanks again!
    01-08-12 06:29 PM
    One thing about connecting to the playbook over wifi (which is great!). You can probably just use the name of the playbook.

Under Storage & Sharing, there is a "Tablet Network Name". So connect like:

\\name

Obviously name will be the name on that screen. You can do this because the router that is providing your IP address is also probably providing a DNS service.

Personally, I find that a little easier than hunting for an IP address, although maybe this is only in 2.0, I didn't look before I did the upgrade.
    The newer software (i believe) automatically detected the network and requested a security access code for authorization. The issue I was having was that i was attemption the enter the IP address rather than the security code. Trial and error cured my ignorance (and the connection problem) Thanks.
    ross778 likes this.
    01-08-12 06:45 PM
    If you�re in the browser and you�re trying to enter an address that doesn�t end in �.com�, simply press and hold the �.com� button � this will bring up a menu with the following extensions from which you can select: �.net�, �.org�, �.edu�, �.gov�, �.ca�, and �.biz�
    01-09-12 09:23 AM
    If you�re in the browser and you�re trying to enter an address that doesn�t end in �.com�, simply press and hold the �.com� button � this will bring up a menu with the following extensions from which you can select: �.net�, �.org�, �.edu�, �.gov�, �.ca�, and �.biz�
    Wouldn't it be great if the keyboard was related to your country setting and gave you the appropriate country extension to replace ".ca", i.e. I'm in Australia so most sites I use end in ".au".
    01-09-12 09:45 PM
    Not sure if this has been posted here but I accidentally figured out how to sort of "lock" the screen from scrolling. This is also helpful if you want to point something out to someone or to simply drag your finger under a sentence.

So if you are on any part of a webpage and you place your thumb/finger to fully cover either bezel (all 4 work) and use your other hand for scrolling it will be basically be locked and won't allow you to scroll either way. It will also not allow double tap to zoom which could be helpful when you are telling someone "look it's right here" while u tap on the screen

Edit: This basically also does not allow you to click anything on the screen by accident which is awesome.
    Last edited by Vector-SS; 01-10-12 at 08:32 AM.
    01-10-12 06:05 AM
    I think this will be helpful, especially if you enjoy reading books on your playbook like I do.

The .pdf reader from Adobe really sucks. Everytime you close the app or change files, you loose your place. There is no way to save a book mark, copy and paste text, or really anything else. Adobe PDF reader for playbook is really really crippled.

Download and use the free software application (for yer PC) call Calibre. It will convert your .pdf to .mobi and now you can use the playbook app "Book Reader". The book reader will save your place in every book you are currently reading, plus allow bookmarks, copy and paste text, and change the font style and size, including spacing. It's a great program.

So get rid of the stupid crippled Adobe app and convert your books for free and read them using "book reader".... that what i'm doing after much frustration using the Adobe program. Heck, I would open up notes and input the page number every time I stopped reading a particular book. What a hassle.
    01-11-12 11:59 AM
    how do you keep the screen from going black. When i have certain apps up i would like the screen to stay litm Indo not see anything in the screen settings that would set the screen never to sleep.

thanks
    01-11-12 02:34 PM
    how do you keep the screen from going black. When i have certain apps up i would like the screen to stay litm Indo not see anything in the screen settings that would set the screen never to sleep.

thanks
    You don't. Unfortunately.

There are some apps that will override the display dimming but most do not. You are stuck with the 5 min. max for the time being. I, too, am hoping this is 'fixed' in the next OS.

Maybe it would be worthwhile in this 'newbie' thread to list the apps that do keep the display active (overriding the automatic diming).

The only one that I know of is...

Today's Alarm Clock.

Are there more that others can add to this list (is it considered a list if there is only one entry? )
    01-12-12 06:44 AM
    BlueRocks

Thanks, that is the app I want to keep lit. Is it a setting in the app or does it override automatically? I love using this app as a clock / radio.
    DelialFallen likes this.
    01-12-12 07:46 AM
    I don't have my pb handy but if the feature is there, and typically the always on feature cooincides with having the pb plugged into its charger, anyway, if its there it should be in the apps settings.
    01-12-12 08:14 AM
    Thanks

I will look.
    01-12-12 08:21 AM
    BlueRocks

Thanks, that is the app I want to keep lit. Is it a setting in the app or does it override automatically? I love using this app as a clock / radio.
    I use Today's Alarm Clock as my sole alarm to wake me up in the morning. I have a second rapid charger dock at work and I use the app there as a simple clock.

Tap on the fullscreen clock to open the 'detailed' version. Click on Settings and select 'Time Display Mode ALWAYS ON'.

I love that it tells me the current time and weather after I turn the ringing alarm off. btw, the alarm only works if an alarm is set (d'oh) and multiple alarms (recurring and one time) can be set.

(ps. I have not tried the streaming radio or traffic outlook functions of the clock yet)

oh, and it is FREE too!
    from an earlier page or a different thread... I forget which!

Enjoy.
    texn884 likes this.
    01-12-12 08:27 AM
    @bluerocks "Maybe it would be worthwhile in this 'newbie' thread to list the apps that do keep the display active (overriding the automatic diming)."

SimpleBrowser keeps the display active
    01-12-12 09:25 AM
    I love the streaming music and choice of station. Works when bridged and more stable than Slacker.
    01-12-12 12:46 PM
    does anyone know if skype will be coming to the playbook anytime soon? i am a newbie to the playbook and these tips really help! long live blackberry and the playbook!
    01-12-12 10:15 PM
    01-13-12 04:33 AM
    does anyone know if skype will be coming to the playbook anytime soon? i am a newbie to the playbook and these tips really help! long live blackberry and the playbook!
    IMHO, No, not until it's clear that RIM, and QNX based Playbook as well as Blackberry phones based upon QNX, will they spend the money required to make it function on QNX.

As well as the fact that Microsoft bought it and unless it makes them a healthy profit on other mobile operating systems, they will focus it towards their own mobile OS.

Michaelaw
    01-13-12 06:27 AM
    I keep discovering neat little things on my Playbook. Love it.

Until yesterday I never realised you can move between the icon sets/tabs on the main screen by just moving moving the screen left or right! (like you would on an iphone of iPod touch) you just put your finger on the icon tray and move it left and it switches between All, Favourites, Games, Media etc. I found this purely by accident - I missed a bezel swipe for some reason and I moved the screen instead!! Whoa!

I'd already moved most of my icons to different tabs to get to them easily if I don't feel like scrolling the front screen... but I never realised you could just move the entire screen.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else was interested... If this navigation tip has been posted before I've never seen it. Of course you can simply tap on the name of the tab to get to it, but it is so much cooler just moving the screen.
    01-13-12 08:23 AM
    I keep discovering neat little things on my Playbook. Love it.

Until yesterday I never realised you can move between the icon sets/tabs on the main screen by just moving moving the screen left or right! (like you would on an iphone of iPod touch) you just put your finger on the icon tray and move it left and it switches between All, Favourites, Games, Media etc. I found this purely by accident - I missed a bezel swipe for some reason and I moved the screen instead!! Whoa!

I'd already moved most of my icons to different tabs to get to them easily if I don't feel like scrolling the front screen... but I never realised you could just move the entire screen.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else was interested... If this navigation tip has been posted before I've never seen it. Of course you can simply tap on the name of the tab to get to it, but it is so much cooler just moving the screen.
    don,t learn to love it, its going away in os2 and i,m glad, i never used them on my 9700, in fact they kept sliding in when i didn,t want them, i shut them off on my 9810, the new os2 beta gets rid of them, but gives you 6 master icons at top of main screen plus gives you customizable folders on the main page, so everything can be on one single screen, even when i owned a xoom android tablet i hated all the screens which are similar to favorites, download, etc...
    Delmeister likes this.
    01-13-12 08:30 AM
    Originally Posted by PatrickMJS View Post
    text messages are transmitted over the cellular phone system, unlike emails and internet access which go over the cellular data system. The bridge cannot pick up phone calls or text messages, just the data services. Until they release a PB with 3g/4g, I don't think you'll be able to get text messages on the PlayBook.

I was reading and found this also and was going to reply as this person did, Dont make sense what the original poster said (PatrickMJS ) .. its all interconnected , WIFI or PHONE should NOT matter.. can this be either explained or deleted as BAD information. I hate people that post BAD info as fact..

ah, but since you can integrate text messages (and mms, and just about any other message) into the phone's messaging app, in theory a text should be able to appear over bridge onto the playbook. same with all alerts. if they appear on the phone, they should be able to appear on the tablet.
    01-13-12 11:39 AM
365 ... 56789 ...