Hello all!

After 3 days of REAL umming and erring over a getting a Nexus 7 or a 64GB PB I went PB today. Even the shop assistant at Currys (here in the UK) said it was a great deal and that he had just got one for his brother

AND he gave me the 3 year replacement deal (no questions asked for only 20 ($32US) instead of 30, I was going to pay the 30 anyway LOL)

So thats a brand new 64GB PB with 3 years cover for 150 ($240US). You just can't beat that! Nexus 7, 32GB, no cover 199.

Its been a bit of a pain to get to boot up and connect to wifi and then download OS 2.1.0.1088 but what the Its all rock and roll!

I have been reading this forum for the last 3 days and I like it, everyone here is very helpful and supportive! I don't own a BB phone yet but maybe when my contract runs out in 6 months I will go back to BB as I am currently on my second Samsung Galaxy Y and it keeps crashing on Android a lot, closing down etc..not impressed. Too many apps just switching themselves on the background..I digress hehe!

Some people have said that the PB may be a dead duck soon but i thought about that today, one, its what I want to travel with, I can get LOADS of movies and songs on it, perfect for travelling and I can surf the net abroad and not have to bring my heavy laptop and, two IF it gets stolen, I only lose 130 and not a 600 Ipad etc...Nicey!

Not so worried about the lack of apps...I am on a mac so if any mac users out there can point me to newbie tips, i would appreciate that!

Anyway much to learn and good to have finally taken the plunge! Personally, I think I am going to like it!

Ashley
    11-25-12 10:14 AM
    I got mine from Curry's too, though didnt get the warranty. Get the travel charger, uses the magnetic connector, rather than the USB, which can be delicate! Also charges faster. Dont forget your micro HDMI cable. I bought a 5m one from amazon. Some great apps to be sideloaded - UKTV guide, Google Maps, and a great voice GPS Telmap Navigator. Apps I paid for - Files&Folders, qPDF Notes, Picinote, PicShop and Remote Desktop. Ive never used a Mac, so cant help you there.
    11-25-12 10:47 AM
    Thank you sir!
    11-25-12 10:49 AM
    and looks like when your contract is up you can get the BB10. or you could buy a cheap, second hand BB and a pay as you go sim. Bridge works a treat
    AcousticAshley likes this.
    11-25-12 10:53 AM
    Forgot to mention if you want to video chat with non playbook users have a look here
    AV by AOL - Let's video chat!
    AcousticAshley likes this.
    11-25-12 11:27 AM
    BigwhiteUK

Have posted you.

Did you get telemapuk to work? Have you sideloaded? Is it easy to side load?

Regards
    11-25-12 12:24 PM
    westkirby I have replied. yes telmap works, but needs a data connection, I use wifi hotspot on my phone. Use DDPDInstaller to sideload apps. Set Playbook to developer mode in settings/security/development mode. Her is the link for DDPDInstaller, DDPB – PlayBook Tool run and then select scan and input your password used in developer mode. Select add, and choose the barfile, highlight check box for bar file, then select install
    Forgot to say connect PB to PC via usb lol
    Another way is to use Google Chrome and install the PlayBook App Manager extension. It allows you to sideload apps via Chrome, and via wifi. Though I do find DDPDInstaller easier.
    And if you want the telmap bar file, let me know and Ill email it to you
    Last edited by BigwhiteUK; 11-25-12 at 01:04 PM.
    11-25-12 12:42 PM
    Now thats all over my head! LOL!
    11-25-12 01:29 PM
    Lots of info and help here to sideload apps, just do a search. If you want to sideload android apps, several sources for .bar files around, download and setup DDPSInstaller, link above. Go into settings on playbook - security - Development Mode (allows you to sideload apps), switch on and set an easily remembered password. In DDPDInstaller select scan then input your password used in development mode, then select connect. In DDPDInstaller select add and navigate to where you saved the .bar file, then check the tick box, then install.... simples
    11-25-12 01:32 PM
    Congrats on your purchase, my advise would be to buy the Rapid Charger as already mentioned, besides keeping your USB port from wearing out too quickly, it charges FAST, i think just needs 2 hours to come up from 20% to 90%.

A couple gestures you might like, that are not instantly apparent.
    -Top corner peek gesture, slide you finger in towards the center from any of the top corners allows you to see the top bar of the homescreen including notifications, time, battery etc., without exiting the app.
    -Back gesture - Not all apps support this, but sometimes you will be looking for a way to press the back button, Just swipe on the bottom bezel from the middle to the right LEFT, mostly works in android apps which need a back button.
    -Side Swipe app switching gesture - this is my fav, slide your finger in towards the center from any side bezel when inside an app to move to the next app, or scroll through all open apps.

Also one point of concern, I've read that it can be a pain to charge it once if you are not careful and let the battery drain all the way to zero, so ive been careful never to let the battery run out, and i guess you should be too ... never hurts to be careful.
    Last edited by Qaxl; 11-26-12 at 09:48 AM. Reason: right to left
    11-25-12 01:51 PM
    Had my first video chat experience thanks to westkirby01, very impressed. No lag or pixilation, audio clear.
    11-25-12 03:23 PM
    Welcome, definitely check out the rapid charger, and BB10 will be coming soon, enjoy
    11-25-12 07:38 PM
    Welcome Acoustic. Get prepared to fall in LOVE with your PlayBook. And it will only get better with BB10 coming for free. Honestly, when the BB10 phones come out you really need one. Having a BB phone to pair with your PB makes it so much more.

Be sure to watch the review and how-to videos on CrackBerry.com and on your PB. It will help you get the most out of it.
    11-25-12 10:57 PM
    Cool thanks!
    11-29-12 04:34 PM
    Ive had mine for about two weeks now and got the exact same deal as you! Great travel companion and battery life! I take it to college everyday and when im in lesson i just leave it with someone in the common room so they can play with it! After everyone being so sceptical about BB they all crowd round and fight for it!
    11-29-12 06:09 PM
    Welcome, definitely check out the rapid charger, and BB10 will be coming soon, enjoy
    i got the rapid charge for 20 from amazon, cheapest have seen them
    12-03-12 08:19 AM
    Bought my 2nd Playbook (64 GB) for € 199 last weekend. I hardly get any time to use it. Its always occupied by other family members.
    12-03-12 08:39 AM
    Bad luck with your purchase!

Your ancient tablet is worth 30 second-hand...maybe..and you won't be using it in 6 months.
    12-03-12 10:29 AM
    If you havent anything constructive to say... stay away
    12-03-12 10:40 AM