i have loads of films in .mkv & avi format.

i uploaded one into videos, get sound but no picture.

I also have VLC player installed thinking this plays just about everything but i cant find away to add the movie to watch it or its not seeing it when i press video

any tips please ? going on holiday tomorrow and wanting films to watch on plane journey

many thanks
    09-06-12 02:52 PM
    Thats weird :s

At least with the avis, since the PB runs them nativelly...

To watch MKV's buy "MovieSrtPlayer", but if the files have AC3 extensions, they won't work...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-06-12 02:58 PM
    how do you watch a film on vlc player ? is there a way to add the file or select the file i want to watch ?
    09-06-12 03:13 PM
    I dont know that app.

I only use "srt player" and moviesrtplayer, since i was looking for a subtitle app.

Have you tried to run the vids by the "video" folder? The native one?

Have you checked the avis and the mkv for the AC3??? That's enough for it no to work

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-06-12 03:22 PM
    The PB will play mkv and avi vids in the native Videos player, however it will not play vids with ac3 audio. Google a program called Mediainfo and install it on your PC. Then drag a vid into it and it will tell you the audio and video codecs used. Then search this forum for a program called Xvid4PSP- it will allow you to convert the audio in vids with ac3 audio relatively quickly (no need to convert the video- that takes time). There is no VLC for the PB. There is a program called VLC Direct, which will not play vids natively. Why you're getting audio but not video to play is somewhat confusing- it's usually the other way around.
    09-06-12 03:33 PM
    The vlc client for the pb is a streaming version, it requires vlc on your pc running with a constant connection and plays files from the pc rather than the playbook itself. There's no way I've seen of getting it to play directly from the pb.

Main thing is to check the codecs as above, if they're in the wrong format nothing you do will fix it
    09-06-12 03:35 PM
    Get "Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate".

It will convert almost any file to any file type.

It has a Playbook preset so even beginners can convert, very easy to use.

esk369, diegonei and deemgee like this.
    09-06-12 03:48 PM
    thanks for all the info guys !

i actually have wondershare but takes a while, currently converting one with software called "avidemux" anyone tried this ?
    09-06-12 03:55 PM
    thanks for all the info guys !

i actually have wondershare but takes a while, currently converting one with software called "avidemux" anyone tried this ?
    Mine runs fairly fast on an overclocked i5-2500K @ 4.6ghz and a decent EVGA video card.

There are options in preferences to speed up encoding for systems with multi cores and it also has gpu options also.

09-06-12 04:09 PM
    Xvid4PSP is free, and will allow you to convert videos to different formats, or it will allow you to convert the audio only while leaving the video alone. If you do it this way, you can convert a 2 hour movie in about 8 minutes or so. There is no need to convert the video unless you actually need to, i.e., if the video codes used are not supported by the PB. Most common video codecs are supported by the PB.
    09-06-12 04:14 PM
    On my PlayBook, I use WatchMore, from App World. Have been able to convert some avi and mkv files with ac3 audio. It will convert into a mp4 file, not sure what the audio portion is. Doesn't work for all avi and mkv. Problem for me is that I have only a 16GB, so having 2 files of the same movie is a lot of space.
    damianiw likes this.
    09-06-12 05:07 PM
    Thanks for the heads up on watchwords, will check it out

YES!!! It works for me, I have a freebies pvr. That records m2ts which PlayBook wouldn't play without conversion on pc, not any more - �1 for watchmore and I can play whatever my ipad can :-)

I got a 64gb PlayBook on offer from pc world to load it up with tv for travelling, previously having to use avidemux was a nuisance, now I ftp it from the freebies box with ghost explorer and open it with this - thank you for the tip, I've been looking for something do this for a few weeks!!

This should be on the frontpage or stickier as lots of people request how to play ac3, I also pushed a DTS MKV through it and it works.
    Last edited by damianiw; 09-06-12 at 05:58 PM. Reason: More notes
    09-06-12 05:32 PM
    Xvid4PSP is free, and will allow you to convert videos to different formats, or it will allow you to convert the audio only while leaving the video alone. If you do it this way, you can convert a 2 hour movie in about 8 minutes or so. There is no need to convert the video unless you actually need to, i.e., if the video codes used are not supported by the PB. Most common video codecs are supported by the PB.

How exactly do you do this? All the ways I tried this it came up with a 3 hour conversion time for a 1.5 hour movie.
    09-21-12 01:40 PM
    I convert all Movie files to correct Playbook codec (video and audio) using DVD Catalyst 4 which addresses these issues.....check it out.....then convert and load onto PB and away you go.....
    09-21-12 01:48 PM
    How exactly do you do this? All the ways I tried this it came up with a 3 hour conversion time for a 1.5 hour movie.
    Set the video to "copy" and the audio to "AAC". I just converted a 55 minute video in under 3 minutes this way- since there is no conversion of the video, only of the audio.
    09-21-12 04:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD