Hi all

My wife gave me a Playbook 64GB for my birthday. It is quite a gift. I was sort of flirting with an iPad 2 for a few weeks but to get one though my Aeroplan rewards as I have a bazillion points. I have been holding out to see what the next iPad will be. I couldn't justify buying one as I wasn't sure exactly what I would use it for. But I figured given I have an iPhone (3GS jailbroken), the iPad would go hand-in-hand with it.

So like I said, my wife said she did research and spoke to various people and figured the Playbook was the way to go. After some reading myself, she may be onto something. The hardware itself seems to be miles ahead of the iPad. But after using it for the past 2-3 days, I see the gaps with it many I'm sure everyone here is familiar with.

I was watching some videos on OS2 including one from the CES where the demonstrator showed what was changed on the home screen. But beyond that, he said the user shouldn't expect to see anything else as most changes are in the back end.

That comment disturbs me. So does that mean the crappy Adobe reader is the same? no text assist? bookmarks remain unorganized without folders? etc etc. It would be like Ford selling a Mustang Shelby without a radio, or AC, reclining seats, and a headlight switch. But the car itself is a beast!

I just hope that my PB doesn't end up collecting dust because of minor but important things that BB developers didn't think to put into OS2 that makes it tedious to use.

I apologize for the rant-ish nature of my first post. Hopefully my following posts will be more useful.

p.s. I did get some great info from this forum so far...I'll be a regular visitor for sure.
    02-06-12 12:43 PM
    I will only go by your thread title, don't expect miracles from OS2.0

Yes, a lot of glaring omissions from the first release will be included in the OS2.0 (native email, calendar etc), but beyond that its anyones guess.

For the ones who like the PB- they like it the way it is, and don't and did not expect any major changes to happen to make their user experience with the device any different.
    For the rest- you will find a billion threads in here at CB filled with complains.....

Nevertheless, welcome to the CB
    FSeverino likes this.
    02-06-12 12:47 PM
    Not so sure those take a miracle or it's that glaring of an omission on a baby OS. I think you expect such a miracle with 2.0. I think a lot of what you mention would be back end. As for the crappy reader, who knows if adobe will improve it or another party or android reader that does what you want will be made.
    02-06-12 01:04 PM
    I have 3 computers at home and when I purchased a netbook in early '10, it's what I used most of the time. Netbook has weak processing power but could always RD to my desktop when I needed processing power (including work). Now w/my PB, it's what I mostly use when I'm at home. The convenience of a tablet is just great. With heavy typing, of course I prefer and use a pc. I even RD to my desktop or laptop via my PB when I need to as well.

What I mainly use my PB for:
    -Surf'n the web
    -Checking mail
    -Movies / watching movies on my flat panels via HDMI
    -Occasional game playing
    02-06-12 01:50 PM
    Sounds good, I'm sure I'll find workarounds for any issue, workarounds is what I do best lol

I did find a program online to unlock PDF's which the PB was then able to open, so that is one hurdle overcome

I'm definitely looking forward to the email, calendar and contacts native apps.
    02-06-12 01:59 PM
    It's actually hard to overstate just how much better the Playbook is going to be with OS 2.0.

There are a few clues that CAN be found in the current Dev Preview: predictive text (or "text assist", as you put it) is VERY good; browser is pretty awesome (better rendering/MUCH better WiFi); stereo Bluetooth; aforementioned UI tweaks.

We've also seen the CES demos of the stuff that RIM has officially confirmed for the OS 2 release, like BB Remote and the native PIM functionality. We've also caught a glimpse of a revamped App World (in a screenshot on the BB Developer Blog) which may or may not be in the release. RIM has promised a "Video Store" (similar to the current "Music Store") as well, initially US-only. Zinio is supposed to be available "soon", but that's the only specific third-party developer I can think of who's made a commitment.

Moving into the realm of speculation, we've had hints of new dev support from Netflix and other assorted rumors.

No, there's been no specific word on bookmark organization and the shortcomings of the current Adobe Reader, but there have been enough complaints that I'd be really surprised if those concerns aren't fixed.

Yes, this is a VERY big upgrade.
    02-06-12 02:00 PM
    I agree 2.0 is a very big upgrade and I'm sure they will keep improving on it with 2.1 versions an so on. Omg I can't wait I haven't been this excited about a software update since the IOS 3.0 update.
    Sergeant HCR likes this.
    02-06-12 02:22 PM
    I am hoping for a miracle too from OS 2.0 : no more complaints about the lack of native email, etc that get all the focus on the blogs.
    Last edited by robtanz; 02-06-12 at 02:52 PM.
    02-06-12 02:50 PM
    I am looking forward to it, but I still dkn't think it will be a runaway hit until they get content and apps. Content needs to be through amazon to succeed. People need yo know that when they buy or rent a video or song that they are not going to be locked in to a platform and can access their content on other devices they own. As an Android user, I want to be abke to easily access content aquired on my Playbook on my pc and smartphone easily. This was typed in lastpass with no autocorrect on most recent beta.
    02-06-12 03:16 PM
    As far as I know, Amazon doesn't currently allow downloads of its video content on any mobile devices except its own Fire, so the platform restriction would be true of most devices, including the iPad, not just the Playbook. Conversely, I can't watch iTunes content on my Windows phone either. But yeah, it would be awesome if my Amazon vids worked on the PB. At least streaming works.

The Amazon music I've purchased syncs just fine to both my PB and my phone.
    Last edited by Swirlz; 02-06-12 at 03:36 PM.
    02-06-12 03:27 PM
    Playbook, IMO, is a very sweet device, even with it's obvious shortcomings.

And, as stated here, and in MANY, MANY other posts, the native apps will be included, web browsing much more fluid, etc. It WILL be much nicer after the release.

However, I think the more attention and focus that get put on "expecting miracles from OS2", the more we set ourselves up for disappointment (and thousands of complaint/rant threads). I hate to see people get caught up in that, because eventually, when the release happens and they don't "deliver" what you "expected", we'll all have to hear about it (ad nauseam).

Expectation creates the height for any downfall. Expectation and entitlement seem to go hand in hand. To me, it suggests lack of appreciation, though it may not mean the same to you.

Anticipation, yes.
    Expectation, no.
    Last edited by cntrydncr223; 02-06-12 at 10:42 PM.
    peter9477 and rotorwrench like this.
    02-06-12 03:42 PM
    Omg I can't wait I haven't been this excited about a software update since the IOS 3.0 update.
    I've never been excited at all about an os update. I am about this one. BB Remote and a2dp are huge for me. The next two or so weeks are going to seem like forever.
    02-06-12 05:15 PM
    I want a2dp, Remote sounds neat but ...., but I WANT TYPING ENHANCEMENTS. One of my pet peeves. Of course that Pet has other peeves, like bookmark organization, SEARCHING on webpages, in docs, in pdf's, etc. I would hope that BridgeMail would also pinch/zoom.
    02-06-12 05:46 PM
    I will only go by your thread title, don't expect miracles from OS2.0

Yes, a lot of glaring omissions from the first release will be included in the OS2.0 (native email, calendar etc), but beyond that its anyones guess.

For the ones who like the PB- they like it the way it is, and don't and did not expect any major changes to happen to make their user experience with the device any different.
    For the rest- you will find a billion threads in here at CB filled with complains.....

Nevertheless, welcome to the CB
    This is pretty much dead on!

I LOVE my playbook just the way it is and i am hoping that the OS 2 update makes it much better, but if it doesnt then i wont be upset. I did A LOT of research before buying it and knew what i was getting... then i was AMAZINGLY shocked at how fast and well execited the UI and OS are.

I continue to be surprised in positive ways with my playbook almost everday and if OS 2 is another one of those surprises thats great... if not then its ok
    02-06-12 05:50 PM
    I did find a program online to unlock PDF's which the PB was then able to open, so that is one hurdle overcome
    Definitely interested in what this program is. Can you give more info pls?
    02-06-12 09:04 PM
    I want a2dp, Remote sounds neat but ...., but I WANT TYPING ENHANCEMENTS. One of my pet peeves. Of course that Pet has other peeves, like bookmark organization, SEARCHING on webpages, in docs, in pdf's, etc. I would hope that BridgeMail would also pinch/zoom.
    Predictive typing in the .7111 preview is excellent. Better than on my Torch 9800, I think.

The other stuff, we'll just have to wait and see...
    02-06-12 09:17 PM
    Definitely interested in what this program is. Can you give more info pls?
    Advanced PDF Password Recovery. I found it on torrentz.

I tried some online services but my PDF was too big. And I couldn't justify paying for something to perhaps use once.
    02-07-12 06:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD