Hello guys and gals,
    Just picked up a couple 32GB Playbooks for $149, so far I must say Im pretty impressed! I come from the land of Apple, but am no fanboy or anything. The Playbook, not just based on price, has great specs, I like the size, and the new OS update looks very promising!

I have a couple questions if you dont mind. Is there any way to have folders in videos just for the sake of organization? I want to dump a couple seasons of a few different shows, but thats a lot seperate videos... it doesnt seem to care if you arrange them in a folder structure?

Video conversions. Most AVIs play fine, some stuff no audio. I understand why, but is this addressed in new OS? If not, is there a quick way to convert? I've tried a couple but they take a while (converts the video and the audio).. Any quick ones?

The beta OS.. is it worth trying when we are so close to official release?

I'm used to jailbreaking on the Apple side, is that basically what on the BB side is called Rooting?

I see lots of Android talk and side loading, still not sure what side loading means just yet (lots to learn on day 1 of PB ownership!), but is all that moot with new OS update anyway? It can run Android apps out of the box?

Any must have apps I should know about? I just got the Book Reader, works really really well!

Thanks guys, not looking to be spoon fed.. I'm googling and reading lots, but any help would be appreciated!
    02-04-12 07:43 AM
    ohhh.. and a case. I know for my iphone for example, there are cases galore! Some are much better than others. Any recommendation on a case?
    02-04-12 08:03 AM
    Ok,

No folder organisation in videos all in one big lump

Know nothing about video conversions, sorry...

I would say wait for the official OS release as it's rumoured to be only 2 weeks away.

Yes rooting is essentially jailbreaking.

As it stands those of us using the OS2 beta have the choice of manually converting an android app .apk to a PB .bar file and sideloading/manually installing it onto the PB using a 3rd party app/tools and a PC rather than through app world.
    There are some apps in app worldalready (mostly rubbish) but you can only see/download them on the beta.

Must have apps: Files and Folders for sure (even has a free trial so you can check it out).
    SimpleBrowser+ or Secure browser as an alternative to the stock browser...
    Comics - if you read comics that is

Oh, and I use a Blurex convertible case...
    02-04-12 09:17 AM
    Videos play with no sound because the audio codec use is unsupported. If you change it before converting (most software allows for that) you'll be ok.

There is even an app for that if I remember correctly...
    02-04-12 09:22 AM
    While you can place videos in folders for your own organization, the video app does not respect those folders and they are presented in one list. Some folks add a PREFIX to the filename so that they sort say a TV show's episodes together.

There are some threads on using a special tool to just convert the audio and it supposedly can be fast. Unfortunately, I don't recall the thread. Something like ffmpeg or ......
    02-04-12 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD